Quality of food or quantity, which is more important to you?

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You're not judging but judging, and you count calories but don't weigh? What are you counting then?
    Weighing may be essential for some foods such as meat (except for prepackaged ground meat), but often measuring food works just as well. As someone who cooks frequently, I can measure and sometimes estimate cups, tablespoons, etc. (more easily with food than liquid) and derive calories from that serving size as most MFP foods provide more than one measurement to log calories. But maybe you were referring to just meat or both weighing and measuring and I misunderstood. Also looking at the total weight of a package of meat and dividing to find an average for each piece is acceptable for some people as well.

I don't always measure now, but I certainly did for over a year as a food scale is a great wake up call. I now only weigh in a cut, and I strongly recommend that if you haven't used one that you do.

Same here. Using a scale and measuring was very educational when I first started using them and I used them for a very long time. Still use them on certain things but not as often as I used to.
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree!! Cheez Whiz = junk; Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese = real
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What makes a food "junk"? I've never understood this and I never will.

Anything with excessive sugar, and no real nutrition is junk! Empty calories, that Reese's cheesecake up there, that's junk! Any food product that comes off an assembly line. Processed foods full of preservatives and ingredients you could barely pronounce=junk!
    The reason for a food scale is accuracy... You will better at guesstimating weight after some time with a food scale...

sorry this is what I agree with... another example "diet" microwave popcorn = junk; air popped popcorn with real butter and salt = real
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    quantity.

Can eat way too much "healthy" foods and therefore not be at my current target deficit hence no fat loss.

I don't really see the point in attempting to track cals if you don't weigh or measure anything. Most people's guesttimates are WAY off. Although, if they are consistently way off (in the same direction) then it will probably still work :tongue:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I'd say quality, but this is coming from someone who had this for lunch

PBcheesecakewithbrownie_zps2512883d.jpg

But normally I would honestly say quality

Pic quoting because that is glorious.

Flexible dieting but I don't think I can fit that in at the moment. On my to do list to make later this year :happy:
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Any food product that comes off an assembly line. Processed foods full of preservatives and ingredients you could barely pronounce=junk!

Does that include protein powder? What about quest bars? Preworkouts? Creatine?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Anything with excessive sugar, and no real nutrition is junk! Empty calories, that Reese's cheesecake up there, that's junk! Any food product that comes off an assembly line. Processed foods full of preservatives and ingredients you could barely pronounce=junk!
    The reason for a food scale is accuracy... You will better at guesstimating weight after some time with a food scale...

Sorry, but excessive calories doesn't make something junk. And unless it's grown in your backyard or raised by you, it'll be processed to some extent, so you're saying that anything store bought is junk as well. That's why I hate the "good vs. bad food" argument. It makes no sense. I shouldn't feel guilty about eating a piece of cheesecake instead of an apple because it's "junk."
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    None of the things you mentioned qualify as junk in my opinion.
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That's not junk, that's indulgence :-)
  • Left4Good
    Left4Good Posts: 304
    Options
    Quality by a long shot.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Why is this a question. You need a certain quantity, and you need certain quality. The quantity is different for everyone. The quality is subjective. Your body has macronutrient and micronutrient requirements for health, but beyond that, what one person considers quality might or might not be the same as someone else.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Any food product that comes off an assembly line. Processed foods full of preservatives and ingredients you could barely pronounce=junk!

Does that include protein powder? What about quest bars? Preworkouts? Creatine?

Those have expensive ingredients, hence their price. No supplement is a replacement for real food!! In matters of fact all those supplements are unnecessary if your getting all your nutritional needs from food.
  • caesar164
    Options
    So my answer to you Chrisdavey is yes! what you mentioned are unnecessary supplements intended to separate people from their money. Of course this is my opinion, you can eat whatever you want to eat if it works for you..,
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    So my answer to you Chrisdavey is yes! what you mentioned are unnecessary supplements intended to separate people from their money. Of course this is my opinion, you can eat whatever you want to eat if it works for you..,
    I can save craploads of money getting my extra protein from protein powders and bars, instead of spending insane amounts of money on lean meats.

Totes depends on where you live!

eta: spelling.
  • caesar164
    Options
    I can save craploads of money getting my extra protein from protein powders and bars, instead of spending insane amounts of money on lean meats.

If your saving money great! I get10 pounds of chicken breast for 23 dollars... Also 7 and a half dozen eggs for 9 dollars...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I ask because I see in a lot of diaries things like a breakfast of real junk food and at the end of the day the calorie intake is right but the food quality is soooo wrong. Not that I'm judging,
    Err yes you are Judging.

But to answer your question neither one is more important they both have their place for both physical and mental health. You may not think of something in someones diary as 'healthy' but mentally because they like it it will help their overall health to enable them to stick within their goals. Food is neither good nor bad it all supplies something even if that's just calories for energy.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

If your saving money great! I get10 pounds of chicken breast for 23 dollars... Also 7 and a half dozen eggs for 9 dollars...
    Yep, I'm def jealous haha! :grumble:
  • caesar164
    Options
    Here's a quick calculation for you...10 pounds of chicken breast equals 1400 grams of protein.., this cost me 23 dollars.. a 5 pound tub of bsn syntha 6 will set you back over 50 dollars for about 1056 total grams of protein... So what's cheaper??? And more beneficial?
  • caesar164
    Options
    Why is it so expensive for you??? I get this stuff at Costco.. The ground beef is even cheaper! And the fat free mil is 3.23 a gallon..
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why is it so expensive for you??? I get this stuff at Costco.. The ground beef is even cheaper! And the fat free mil is 3.23 a gallon..

I live in Hawaii. 10lbs of chicken breast, even at costco, is gonna set me back a pretty penny. Protein powder, however, I can get on amazon for the same price it'd be on the mainland.

Just saying