So what is your 4th of July food strategy?

Options

Replies

• lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'll be camping in my camper with all the campers! I will eat whatever and drink lots of beersies:drinker:
    I will also be sure to get my swim and run on.
    All good, all fun! 3 day weekend!:drinker:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Adults actually celebrate the 4th of July? I have never understood that. It's such a useless holiday. I won't be going anywhere or doing anything so I'm not worried about it.

Whoops! You're right. I suppose I better give my beers to my kids, then? LOLOL

PS: It isn't useless to you, since you'll be spending it at home, doing nothing, instead of at work, as your post implies? Say thank you to 'Murica for your day off!
  • dontweightup
    dontweightup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I plan on converting all my food calories to the liquid variety. Cheers to Independence Day!

Ditto. Cheers!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Besides, ya'll be crazy. There is two quarter final matches of the world cup on. I know what I WILL be doing.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Adults actually celebrate the 4th of July? I have never understood that. It's such a useless holiday. I won't be going anywhere or doing anything so I'm not worried about it.

Huh? Apparently, you have never had a couple of beers and used fireworks. I'm not saying this is a good idea. Doesn't mean it isn't awesome though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Did you know that July 4th is Independence Day in the Philippines and Rwanda? I call B.S. We should not have to share our official emancipation from the crushing rule of the Kingdom of Great Britain with Rwanda. For the love of gravy, Rwanda bans PLASTIC BAGS in their country! What sort of sadistic heathens would ban plastic bags?? It’s like they WANT cheese to dry up and get all nastified instead of protected by a priceless Ziploc, and that’s just messed up.

Did you know that July 2nd is truly the day we should be celebrating our Independence? Not only is it the day the Declaration of Independence was ruled into favor by the Continental Congress, but John Adams even wrote his dear wife, Abigail, to tell her that “July 2nd is a day that will go down in history.” I mean… the man WROTE HIS WIFE back in 1776! He not only acknowledged her existence, but wrote her… Hell, I bet he even let her out of the kitchen every now and then. If that’s not proof enough that this was a historic occasion, I don’t know what is.

Did you know that July 4th was officially declared a holiday in 1870, nearly one hundred years after the Declaration of Independence was written? And 2014 marks the 238th Independence Day Celebration?

Did you know that 2.5 million people celebrated the first Independence Day, whereas nearly 316.5 million people do today? BOOM! That’s math, b******.

Did you know that both Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, founder of our Independence, died on July 4th 1826? Alanis Morissette totally dropped the ball on that one when she went nuts singing about Irony. Probably because she’s a dirty Canadian.

Did you know that “Ugly Betty’s” Becki Newton, First Daughter Malia Obama, Economist Gerard Debreu, and Olympic Medalist Pam Shriver were all born on July 4th? Yup… all people no one cares about. Awesome.

Did you know that July Fourth is technically the “Biggest Hot Dog Holiday of the Year?” Americans (not Rwandans) consume roughly 155 million on this one day alone. The biggest irony here is that absolutely no one knows the actual origins of the hot dog. I have long suspected Fiji, but hell, maybe it’s Rwanda. In any event, in 1776, John Adams and his wife celebrated by indulging in Turtle Soup, Poached Salmon with Egg Sauce, Green Peas & Boiled Potatoes in Jackets. YES. Potatoes. In. Jackets. Safe to assume that’s what I’ll be making next Friday.

Did you know that I’m never gonna give you up? Let you down? Turn around and forget you?

Did you know that your *kitten* just got Rick Rolled?

Now, if you can't find a single reason to celebrate Independence Day... GTFO.

Did you know that I'm a Bicentennial baby? My birth certificate (or something? Some certificate, anyway.) has a flag on it.
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My strategy will be to eat lots of great food, enjoy my friends and family, eat some more food, probably have a couple drinks, log it and move on to July 5th

....Couldn't have said it better myself!!!:smile:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Did you know that July 4th is Independence Day in the Philippines and Rwanda? I call B.S. We should not have to share our official emancipation from the crushing rule of the Kingdom of Great Britain with Rwanda. For the love of gravy, Rwanda bans PLASTIC BAGS in their country! What sort of sadistic heathens would ban plastic bags?? It’s like they WANT cheese to dry up and get all nastified instead of protected by a priceless Ziploc, and that’s just messed up.

Did you know that July 2nd is truly the day we should be celebrating our Independence? Not only is it the day the Declaration of Independence was ruled into favor by the Continental Congress, but John Adams even wrote his dear wife, Abigail, to tell her that “July 2nd is a day that will go down in history.” I mean… the man WROTE HIS WIFE back in 1776! He not only acknowledged her existence, but wrote her… Hell, I bet he even let her out of the kitchen every now and then. If that’s not proof enough that this was a historic occasion, I don’t know what is.

Did you know that July 4th was officially declared a holiday in 1870, nearly one hundred years after the Declaration of Independence was written? And 2014 marks the 238th Independence Day Celebration?

Did you know that 2.5 million people celebrated the first Independence Day, whereas nearly 316.5 million people do today? BOOM! That’s math, b******.

Did you know that both Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, founder of our Independence, died on July 4th 1826? Alanis Morissette totally dropped the ball on that one when she went nuts singing about Irony. Probably because she’s a dirty Canadian.

Did you know that “Ugly Betty’s” Becki Newton, First Daughter Malia Obama, Economist Gerard Debreu, and Olympic Medalist Pam Shriver were all born on July 4th? Yup… all people no one cares about. Awesome.

Did you know that July Fourth is technically the “Biggest Hot Dog Holiday of the Year?” Americans (not Rwandans) consume roughly 155 million on this one day alone. The biggest irony here is that absolutely no one knows the actual origins of the hot dog. I have long suspected Fiji, but hell, maybe it’s Rwanda. In any event, in 1776, John Adams and his wife celebrated by indulging in Turtle Soup, Poached Salmon with Egg Sauce, Green Peas & Boiled Potatoes in Jackets. YES. Potatoes. In. Jackets. Safe to assume that’s what I’ll be making next Friday.

Did you know that I’m never gonna give you up? Let you down? Turn around and forget you?

Did you know that I'm a Bicentennial baby? My birth certificate (or something? Some certificate, anyway.) has a flag on it.

I did NOT know! I shall add this information to my list of "Awesome Independence Day Facts." :)
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Don't really have a strategy. The whole week is a complete loss for me pretty much every year. My best friend's daughter's birthday is July 1, July 2 is my birthday, and July 3 is my best friend's son's birthday. Then the 4th of July. I just try not to over eat and get some exercise in every day. Then July 5 and 6 try to make up for it.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Skip the food, load up on alcohol!

Go swimming later to try and burn some of it off

Wake up the next day and continue on with my life :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I did NOT know! I shall add this information to my list of "Awesome Independence Day Facts." :)

Just to be clear, I was born in the Bicentennial YEAR, not on July 4 (or 2).
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP so I don't want to destroy the new habits only now setting in! BUT I will eat a little of everything and watch the portion sizes (measure!) since we'll have the bbq at our home for our family. THEN I will log everything I ate - how do you log homemade potato salad anyway? I use healthier stuff overall, not full-fat mayo for example. What a pain to log each item as you make the potato salad for a crowd, then divide it! Ah well, such is trying to get slender again.

Happy 4th to everyone - have fun and safe!
    Barb ~

If you are making it. Create a recipe on MFP and divide the recipe by the number of people attending?

I personally will be eating all the foodz and not worrying about it. Logging it etc.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Just to be clear, I was born in the Bicentennial YEAR, not on July 4 (or 2).

*scratches Renee off the list*

Damn.
  • Texusmc
    Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Also, how about a little respect for the troops that fight hard to protect our "useless" independence.

Too much merica f yeah, donchaknow.

And yet here you are.....would you rather be in some place that you are looked upon as a 3rd class citizen or even worse?
    I have been to those places, seen the joy of people who have been freed by our coming to their aid. so a little "merica f yeah" SHOULD be thrown out there. ohhh wait..there it is ..that donchaknow...right...WI....never mind..go drink your lousy beer and find "no longer care" boy and have fun sitting around staring at each other
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I was a Bicentennial baby as well and didn't get a flag on my stinkin' birth certificate. What a rip off. :grumble:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Also, how about a little respect for the troops that fight hard to protect our "useless" independence.

And yet here you are.....would you rather be in some place that you are looked upon as a 3rd class citizen or even worse?
    I have been to those places, seen the joy of people who have been freed by our coming to their aid. so a little "merica f yeah" SHOULD be thrown out there. ohhh wait..there it is ..that donchaknow...right...WI....never mind..go drink your lousy beer and find "no longer care" boy and have fun sitting around staring at each other

Dbmata was being sarcastic to illustrate my point above. He wasn't actually serious.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Thank you! Yes! I thank every. single. man and woman who has and is fighting for our freedom and the human rights and freedoms of others. Thank you for doing what many don't want to think about (i.e. "awful" violence and blood shed--of course, I know that freedom isn't free, and is often "ugly" to obtain and secure).

Thank you to all who have served! Yes, I cry with both grief and pride for those who gave their lives and make sacrifices for our country. Including those who appear to be ungrateful for such freedom and liberty.

"Useless" holiday? Gross me out--that is a horrible sentiment (the message, not the messenger--just making it clear).
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    my strategy is to sit home with my husband and do nothing special because everyone I know is going to parties/bbqs/vacations

sad_panda.jpg
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I think this site just became worth it now that I know what a hotburcon is!! :love:

I have to work on the 4th, like I have to work every freaking holiday. Yayyy for being in retail sales!! I imagine some bedding rep will supply us with lunch and I will eat whatever it happens to be. However, since I just rededicated my life to this weight loss thing, I do plan to be wise and not set myself up for a big, fat fail. There are plenty of "occasions" where I will get to indulge my need for hotburcon. :love: :love: :love:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I am going back to being a FT student on 6/30 after taking the last 2 months off from classes (I work FT, and took a week off to go on a vacation). It is online classes, so we just have to complete all the required activites, assignments, quizzes, etc. by Sun. of each week. When I have everything done for the week (yes, before I start weekend fun activities), I hope to go kayaking (weather permitting) at one of the nearby lakes.

I have type 1 diabetes, so the trick as far as food goes will be to avoid low blood sugar as much as possible so I don't have to eat back all the calories I burned. The biggest risk is getting low blood sugar out on the water... I'll bring quick food to treat it in case, of course.