Chivalry is dead?

Options
Texusmc
Texusmc Posts: 129 Member
I kept thinking about this last night as I had posted on my account about the indifferent parenting skills of some people while at Chic-Fil-A. This is one definition of Chivalry :

"The combination of qualities expected of an ideal knight, especially courage, honor, courtesy, justice, and a readiness to help the weak"

I was taught these ideals (minus the Knightly stature and combat portion) and they flourished while I was in the Marines. But I was also taught to use manners, "please, thank you, yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir, no sir" etc... I was also taught you open the door for women, the disabled, and the elderly. I still open the door for my s.o. (car door too even when she is in a mood- different story).

I try to pass on this ethos and way of thinking to my son's. It has been a struggle as they see the rest of society being rude, crude and just down right mean.
I am curious, who among the men here are trying to be Chivalrous and use their manners?

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I wish more were.

There is certainly a sub-culture out there trying to destroy it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Both genders could learn lessons about this!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You could be that way because you're in Texas, or you could be that way because of your military history. Regardless, I have serious doubts that parents are still teaching their kids manners today, whether they be boys or girls.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I do. I wave to people, I smile. I say hello. I hold the door open. I treat everyone with kindness. Try to never get angry. Very few even appreciate it.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It's dead for sure. It died with the hippies who gave rise to our generation, i'm not ashamed to admit that we gen xers are bad at parenting, and it's kept going downhill. It's just a sign of the overall decline of American society and civility. People have become so used to being handfed that they want someone to raise their kids for them, to tell them how, to tell them what to eat and when. It's all a product of social engineering started by the babyboomer hippies who now run things. My parents taught me to open doors for women, how to behave in public and everything their parents (strict old school parents) taught them.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    I was raised to be chivalrous. My generation seems to think that when a guy who was raised like myself is being themselves, that they are trying to hit on them or get in their pants by being chivalrous. Messed up..... Sick of it.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I do my best to be polite to every person I meet.

I treat ladies like ladies
    and gentlemen like gentlemen

That being said, it's hard to maintain the level of respect and manners with those who (after meeting them) don't deserve it.

I have tried to instill my same respectful mannerisms in my daughter and thus far she has become a well-mannered young lady.

Chivalry is not dead, but the art and persona is dwindling. I still practice it and I know my daughter will look for those traits in a man as she becomes a self-reliant woman.

Thank you for this post and thank you for serving this country with your time and dedication, Texusmc.
    Keep fighting the good fight.
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is chivalry or just general politeness and courtesy. I was raised to say please, thank you, hold doors, etc. I still do those things every day. My daughter (who will be 3 in September) knows to say please, thank you, and you're welcome.
    It's not dead.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was raised to be chivalrous. My generation seems to think that when a guy who was raised like myself is being themselves, that they are trying to hit on them or get in their pants by being chivalrous. Messed up..... Sick of it.

Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys who still do show respect w/out expecting anything in return. Carry on. I'll keep smiling and thanking you when you open doors for me. ;)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    It's not dead as long as I'm not dead.

It's actually frustrating some times because many women just don't get it any longer.
  • Texusmc
    Options
    I am starting to see a trend, seems the "older" a guy is (mid 30's on up) the more he was taught manners. very few under 30 men have been taught this. I was partly raised by my grand parents who were very strict and Depression era survivors. so to me that might have allot to do with it.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    Options

Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys who still do show respect w/out expecting anything in return. Carry on. I'll keep smiling and thanking you when you open doors for me. ;)

I stand corrected, there is some light out there, but very dim because of how rare and once in a blue moon it is to find a woman with understanding in my generation.
  • TheNewPriceIsLoading
    Options
    I am starting to see a trend, seems the "older" a guy is (mid 30's on up) the more he was taught manners. very few under 30 men have been taught this. I was partly raised by my grand parents who were very strict and Depression era survivors. so to me that might have allot to do with it.

For all intents and purposes, I am 26.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

^^^
    I'll second this.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do. I wave to people, I smile. I say hello. I hold the door open. I treat everyone with kindness. Try to never get angry. Very few even appreciate it.

This is me too...I know I'm not a man but I have two sons and I try to be the best role model for them. Obviously I'm not perfect and my kids aren't perfect but I am starting to see my influence on them, especially in my oldest who is almost 9. The number one thing in our house is the "Golden Rule".
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I'm 28...
  • Texusmc
    Options
    You could be that way because you're in Texas, or you could be that way because of your military history. Regardless, I have serious doubts that parents are still teaching their kids manners today, whether they be boys or girls.

being from Texas really doesn't have much to do with it, however, we do expect our young men to act proper. yeah you do jackassery type of things with your buddies, but when ladies are around you better straighten up. The Military aspect of it just reinforced this I guess.
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We live in a world where kindness and manners are so scarce, it is often confused with bad intentions. This is sad...
  • Texusmc
    Options

I'm 28...

you are one of the few! and keep up the good work
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,255 Member
    Options
    I hope not. At least not with my husband and 3 sons!