Chivalry is dead?

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Confession: I didn't read all the replies so this has probably been covered.

Can someone tell me why I need special help opening a door just because I'm a woman?

The whole 'woman" part of chivalry should be dead. It's 2014, not 1414.

I don't hold the door for you because you need my help. I do it to get a better look at your *kitten*.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yup, this is also and acceptable reason. So to be clear, I don't mind if you are holding the door for me if:
    1. You are just being polite and would do that for anyone.
    2. You are trying to get a better look at my *kitten*, because after all, who could blame you. :wink:

I am not ok with you holding the door for me if:
    3. You are only doing it because I'm a woman and think that somehow means I need to be treated differently because I have two x-chromosomes. After all, it's the males in our species that have the gimpy stunted chromosome.

But since it is completely impossible for me to know for certain, I'm just going to assume it's reason 1 or 2 because that makes my life simpler.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    In some small way feminism has gotten in the way of any small chivalrous thing a man can do. For example, the number of my girlfriends that say "I hate flowers. Don't buy me flowers, they just die." or "Don't open my effing door, I can do it myself." I love the "old fashioned" efforts a guy may make, and despise women out there who have informed men they no longer "need" to do such things. Of course they don't NEED to, but what about being polite and gracious? Saying thank you and allowing someone to do something NICE for you without finding it offensive? It's killed the sweet things that make relationships give you those butterflies and "AWE!" sensation. And yes... vice-versa. This goes for cooking for your man, rubbing his back, sending him a pizza at work or whatever your sweet gesture may be in return.

I freaking LOVE getting flowers and having someone care enough to open a door for me. And I want to kick people in the shins for telling guys to stop doing such things. It's gentlemanly. And I'm a lady, damnit.

*giggle*
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is chivalrous. It is appreciated.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    i've only read the OP and none of the responses, but my husband is still very chivalrous.

he preps my coffee at night so when i get up i just have to push the botton (kurig, not programable)
    he always holds open doors for me (and others)
    please and thank you's are mandatory in our household
    helping each other out is also mandatory
    he lugs the heavy stuff upstairs/downstairs for me (like laundry)
    he brings in the grocery shopping (one trip of course!)

gosh now my mind is going blank.

chivalry is not dead, and good on you for teaching your boys despite society!
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    In some small way feminism has gotten in the way of any small chivalrous thing a man can do. For example, the number of my girlfriends that say "I hate flowers. Don't buy me flowers, they just die." or "Don't open my effing door, I can do it myself." I love the "old fashioned" efforts a guy may make, and despise women out there who have informed men they no longer "need" to do such things. Of course they don't NEED to, but what about being polite and gracious? Saying thank you and allowing someone to do something NICE for you without finding it offensive? It's killed the sweet things that make relationships give you those butterflies and "AWE!" sensation. And yes... vice-versa. This goes for cooking for your man, rubbing his back, sending him a pizza at work or whatever your sweet gesture may be in return.

I freaking LOVE getting flowers and having someone care enough to open a door for me. And I want to kick people in the shins for telling guys to stop doing such things. It's gentlemanly. I'm a a lady, damnit.

*giggle*

I am very independent and capable. My boyfriend is also very independent and capable. We both make an effort to do nice things for each other like making nice dinners. We also very much appreciate the other going that extra mile.
    My ex saw being capable as an excuse not to do nice things... I CAN open my own door, make my own dinner and buy myself flowers so he wouldnt. Some people just don't get it
  • odusgolp
    Options

I freaking LOVE getting flowers and having someone care enough to open a door for me. And I want to kick people in the shins for telling guys to stop doing such things. It's gentlemanly. I'm a a lady, damnit.

*giggle*

I am very independent and capable. My boyfriend is also very independent and capable. We both make an effort to do nice things for each other like making nice dinners. We also very much appreciate the other going that extra mile.
    My ex saw being capable as an excuse not to do nice things... I CAN open my own door, make my own dinner and buy myself flowers so he wouldnt. Some people just don't get it

Exactly.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Can someone tell me why I need special help opening a door just because I'm a woman?

I don't hold the door for you because you need my help. I do it to get a better look at your *kitten*.

Yup, this is also and acceptable reason. So to be clear, I don't mind if you are holding the door for me if:
    2. You are trying to get a better look at my *kitten*, because after all, who could blame you. :wink:

3. You are only doing it because I'm a woman and think that somehow means I need to be treated differently because I have two x-chromosomes. After all, it's the males in our species that have the gimpy stunted chromosome.

But since it is completely impossible for me to know for certain, I'm just going to assume it's reason 1 or 2 because that makes my life simpler.

I have yet to meet a woman who truly wanted to be treated exactly as the men. Sorry, but I call BS. Manners and courtesy make a few distinctions and I'll abide by them, tyvm.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    Some things should just be universal too. If someone has their hands full, hold the door for them. It is just nice. I am female and never let the door go when someone is two steps behind me
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    i've only read the OP and none of the responses, but my husband is still very chivalrous.

he preps my coffee at night so when i get up i just have to push the botton (kurig, not programable)
    he always holds open doors for me (and others)
    please and thank you's are mandatory in our household
    helping each other out is also mandatory
    he lugs the heavy stuff upstairs/downstairs for me (like laundry)
    he brings in the grocery shopping (one trip of course!)

gosh now my mind is going blank.

chivalry is not dead, and good on you for teaching your boys despite society!

My husband is the same way, and I find it very touching. He also thanks me for every single meal I make him, even when he's heated up leftovers from a meal that I previously made for him. Before we married, my kids would complain about the food I made. Now, after 5 years of seeing my husband's actions, they each thank me every time we eat. Good manners are such a nice thing to see.

My husband readily states that he knows that I can do all these things for myself, but his take is why should I have to? He loves me, and this is how he shows it.
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options

If I arrive at the door first, I am going to open it and step aside. For you or anyone alse. Man or Woman. I'm sorry that you might take offense to a polite gesture.

Yes, I was a Marine too, but those manners were instilled in me by my Father. He did not sit me down and teach me these things. I had them demonstrated to me by the way he treated my Mother, Sisters and those he came in contact with. He was also a Marine, but he learned from his Father, as well.

At 59, I don't think I am going to change, nor do I want to. I treat my wife and daughters in the same manner and, I hope, they expect it from the gentlemen that enter their lives.

I don't consider chivalry to be a sexist act.

By the way, if I open the door for you, you have two choices. Step through it or bypass it, because I'll stand there with the door in my hand for as long as it takes.

It is 2014 and not 1414. You should be glad. In 1414, a woman wasn't considered much more than property.

I love this post...
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

I have yet to meet a woman who truly wanted to be treated exactly as the men. Sorry, but I call BS. Manners and courtesy make a few distinctions and I'll abide by them, tyvm.

How so? I can't really refute it being BS when you've given no examples.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Living in Texas, I still see quite a bit... I wish there were more though...

Oh and just general all around use of manners and courtesy to others. Men and women alike..
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

It is 2014 and not 1414. You should be glad. In 1414, a woman wasn't considered much more than property.

I love this response.
  • odusgolp
    Options

*Raises Hand* I am not a man. And do not wish to be treated as if I have testicles. BOOBIES!!
  • yankeedownsouth
    Options

The point is, you don't NEED special help opening a door. Those people doing it for you are simply being kind and polite. The appropriate response would be to walk through the open door and say thank you. Regardless of what year it is...
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    2. You are trying to get a better look at my *kitten*, because after all, who could blame you. wink

So you're fine with a guy holding a door open for you so that he can objectify you behind your back, but you draw the line at a gentleman opening the door for you as sign of respect for a lady?

This is modern feminism, y'all.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

*Raises Hand* I am not a man. And do not wish to be treated as if I have testicles. BOOBIES!!

I'm here to oppress, open doors, and steal the urinal
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    2. You are trying to get a better look at my *kitten*, because after all, who could blame you. wink

So you're fine with a guy holding a door open for you so that he can objectify you behind your back, but you draw the line at a gentleman opening the door for you as sign of respect for a lady?

This is modern feminism, y'all.
    I'm fine with a joke, and I objectify plenty of men's behinds ALL. THE. TIME.
  • Drama_Free_Zone
    Options
    Please, Thank You, Yes Ma'Am, No Sir, and May I are all staples of my dealings with people. I open doors, and will let the poor lady juggling three kids and a cart full of groceries ahead of me. I have been known to help old ladies cross the street and I still shovel my elderly neighbor's walks in the winter.. Chivalry isn't dead. I salute you for passing those traits onto your children O.P

On A Side Note.

Feminism hasn't gotten in the way of chivalry. To assume that empowering women emasculates men is a reflection upon those who feel that way, not the women who believe that women should be equal to men in every regard socially and professionally. A woman who doesn't particularly care for flowers or romantic schlep doesn't make her some sort of evil dictator any more than a man who could give two shakes less about cars and guns makes him less a man. No one has ever chided me for opening a door for them, or holding an elevator.. or stopping to help someone change a tire and if they did, and I allowed it to deter me from doing such things that would be a reflection upon me as a person. Not any sort of imagined failing to the great social order.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

CHESTICLES!

I myself grew up with a father who always opened the door for others, female or otherwise. Can you open your own damn door, sure, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why some women see that as degrading. The guy I've been seeing likes to open my door for me. Why should I be offended by a simple gesture?