Shirt or no Shirt?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Personally, if your neighbors are comfortable with it, then I wouldn't worry. And the reason I say that is that you would be entering the public realm of your community that they share with you, so I think it's only polite to at least keep the other community members in mind when making your decision. Still, I doubt that many of them actually care. After all, a sports bra generally offers more coverage than a bikini, and those are generally acceptable in certain public situations, particularly "recreation" activities on hot days.

In my experience, it is not uncommon for women to wear a sports bra without any shirt when exercising. But I do have to admit that the setting is usually in a gym or other type of fitness area or in communities that are fitness focused, so everyone there knows how hot it can get.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If your husband/partner didn't want you to run in just a sports bra, would you put a shirt on?

Yes.

I would respect his wishes and put a shirt on too.

Whether it's appropriate for your neighborhood though depends largely on where you live. My neighborhood would not have any problem with it as a whole, but in the one I grew up in (think Bible Belt), it would be scandalous.

Enjoy living the life that everyone else thinks you should live.

You're funny. You know, with your assumptions and such.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I really, really do not understand what is so scandalous about a sports bra, or exposed midriff for that matter.

I wouldn't say it's scandalous, but it will get you looked at, and some people are okay with that, and others, like me, really don't want to be stared at by strangers. I was out walking once on a local country dirt road in shorts and a tank top and two guys in a panel van slowed waaaay down and stared at me... woods both sides, no houses nearby. I did not like that at all. Never went walking that way again.

blink.gif

OMG, I'm dying laughing.

Now I need to read the rest of this thread.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I live in Phoenix. The overnight low in the summer is around 100, maybe high 90s if we're lucky. If I was more comfortable with my midsection I would run in just a sports bra. I wear a tank top and on long runs it gets so heavy from all the sweat. At home I usually wear just a sports bra because nothing hinders my movements.

If my SO asked me not to run in just a sports bra I'd ask for his reasonings and explain mine and try to find some kind of compromise. Although, he never would ask me this.

I see women running/hiking in sports bras all over. I see men without shirts. If a guy asked if he should run without a shirt would we still be having these conversations?

As for being assualted, most criminals are opportunists, don't want to get caught, and look for people who appear to be victims (head down, headphones, not observant of surroundings) usually not the person wearing the least amount of clothing.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The other day I tried on a new sport's bra and showed my husband. He said, "That looks so good, If it's a hot day, you could even just wear that". So, maybe it depends on the sport's bra. The one I tried on was colored in a way that it looked intended to be worn as clothing, and it was covering, and had fashionable straps.
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    you may be avoiding a whole lot of traffic accidents by modestly covering up a bit. Public safety should be considered and not taken lightly.

If you're serious, please turn off your television and go out into the real world.

I bet you're an attorney trying to profit off the injuries.

Right on! Or perhaps at this point an auto body mechanic trying to pass the LSAT?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Wear the shirt because Hubby thinks you should. . . IF AND ONLY IF Hubby works out in the clothes that you find appropriate.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    you may be avoiding a whole lot of traffic accidents by modestly covering up a bit. Public safety should be considered and not taken lightly.

If you're serious, please turn off your television and go out into the real world.

I bet you're an attorney trying to profit off the injuries.

Right on! Or perhaps at this point an auto body mechanic trying to pass the LSAT?
    reality_zpsf4c27c16.gif
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'd throw on something like this: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/LOW184/womens-lole-victory-tank-top/

I actually find it hotter to workout without a top (but I do sometimes indoors if I don't want to do laundry). I'd respect that your husband doesn't want you to run around the neighborhood in just a bra - that's not unreasonable.
  • kelly_burgess
    kelly_burgess Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A bunch of people are talking about respecting his wishes and wearing a shirt. Why isn't he respecting your wishes about not wanting to wear a shirt because it's really hot outside? Can you wear a bathing suit at the beach/pool, or does he ask you to wear a Victorian bathing gown?
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Wear what you want. I know the shirtless guys at my track motivate me to run a little quicker to keep up.

This. I generally don't stare at good looking women who are out running while I am. But I'm going to take a look. That's probably why your hubby is causing a fuss, because he knows guys will at the least be looking. We can't help it, it's how we are wired.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think that a light top (mositure wicking) would be appropreiate.

How would you feel about him wearing something in public that you do not approve of and he went onto a website to get opinions about it?

I bet her husband has taken his shirt off outside mowing the lawn or doing home repairs...or whatever.... Its not ok for her? Silly.

If you were at the beach whats the diff if you wore a bikini? Is that appropriate. I dont mean to be rude but I honestly think its your body wear what you want.

I like how you feel that if an outfit is appropriate in one location, it is therefore appropriate in all locations.
    I'm wearing a bikini to the office on Monday and quoting you to defend my actions.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Wear what you want. I know the shirtless guys at my track motivate me to run a little quicker to keep up.

This. I generally don't stare at good looking women who are out running while I am. But I'm going to take a look. That's probably why your hubby is causing a fuss, because he knows guys will at the least be looking. We can't help it, it's how we are wired.

I look too. Then I alter my course, drop my speed and hang back about 200 ft to look inconspicuous.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went out for dinner last night. He was getting ready to go and I asked him to put on a dressier shirt. I guess I am a super controlling wife eh? Guess what, he changed his shirt, must be a door mat...

If he was uncomfortable with what I was wearing he would speak up, I value his opinions and thoughts and he values mine.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would wear what I want. Life is too short to live by someone else's rules.