8 Drinks! Are You Kidding Me???

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I drink maybe 3-4 drinks a year when I go to my brother's. Lately though I'd been thinking it would be kind of nice to relax with a drink after work every day...

If you think about drinking more than 3-4 times a week, you have a serious addiction, regardless of whether on not you actually drink.
    I love these ABSURD armchair therapists.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    So. Much. Awesome.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    perhaps you should workon reading MORE of the conversation before just jumping in- at least a page or two back to catch yourself up.

and no- her comments are STILL spot on.

as far as the MsFitzKitty's and you're +1.. it was definitely a TL;DR post.

wall-o-text..
    cutting and pasting large blocks of posts off other sites doesn't make your point more credible or valid. It just makes you difficult to want to listen to.

Well your and my definition about a good post obviously differ.
    I too think she is pretty capable of making her point for herself which she did, I still disagree, i have to deal with this.
    You agree with her, well, you have to deal with this. :bigsmile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I drink maybe 3-4 drinks a year when I go to my brother's. Lately though I'd been thinking it would be kind of nice to relax with a drink after work every day...

If you think about drinking more than 3-4 times a week, you have a serious addiction, regardless of whether on not you actually drink.

What if I'm thinking about how good this Rioja is that I'm drinking? I'm so addicted to good wine!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

What if I'm thinking about how good this Rioja is that I'm drinking? I'm so addicted to good wine!
    I did wine tours in Rioja once. Lord have mercy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I did wine tours in Rioja once. Lord have mercy.

I'm seriously jealous
  • kmg884
    kmg884 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    haha....this study was obviously not done in WIsconsin. Heck, here we like our beer and let me tell you, it is nothing for the "average" woman or man, on a weekend night out, to have 10 or more beers. And then turn around and maybe do it again the next night! Now this is not everyone, and these same people are responsible adults who hold good jobs and pay for everything they have, go to work etc. My goodness, 8 a week, heavy? I guess it depends on where you come from... In Wisconsin that isn't that much. :)
  • traceywoody
    traceywoody Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Nah. Not heavy at all. Forget about it.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    perhaps you should workon reading MORE of the conversation before just jumping in- at least a page or two back to catch yourself up.

and no- her comments are STILL spot on.

as far as the MsFitzKitty's and you're +1.. it was definitely a TL;DR post.

wall-o-text..
    cutting and pasting large blocks of posts off other sites doesn't make your point more credible or valid. It just makes you difficult to want to listen to.

Well your and my definition about a good post obviously differ.
    I too think she is pretty capable of making her point for herself which she did, I still disagree, i have to deal with this.
    You agree with her, well, you have to deal with this. :bigsmile:

I still don't understand what you're disagreeing with! Definitions of heavy drinking, alcoholism, or the fact that SOME people can be drinkers (heavy) and lead healthy, long productive lives without harming themselves or people around them?

I'm looking forward to continuing the debate with you. I can see you have a strong opinion, and perhaps can try and articulate your thoughts without getting angry. If I can do it you can too!
  • afortunatedragon
    Options
    I still don't understand what you're disagreeing with! Definitions of heavy drinking, alcoholism, or the fact that SOME people can be drinkers (heavy) and lead healthy, long productive lives without harming themselves or people around them?

I'm looking forward to continuing the debate with you. I can see you have a strong opinion, and perhaps can try and articulate your thoughts without getting angry. If I can do it you can too!

I am not angry. Not at all.
    I am astonished by your opinion about alcohol.
    Please correct me, if I got your comment wrong, but seem you have a very relaxed view about it, drink more than enough and like it.
    Exspecially with your history in mind, this makes it even worse.

Honestly for me, if someone needs 8 drinks every single day, is a borderline alcoholic.
    I don't drink, I see no reason to do so, and I have no sympathy for anyone who is incapable of keeping his/her alcohol intake to a riskfree (for others) limit.
    There are simple too many victims of alcohol abuse (and I am talking purely about the innocent ones) to take alcohol so relaxed.

I hope this clarifys my point for you.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Personally,I would call eight drinks a week drinking heavily. However,I do not drink so I think it may all have to do with your perception.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Most weeks I drink nothing... However if I am on a night out I drink everything! In the UK they call it binge drinking if you have more than 3 in one evening! Well thats me... a social binge drinker... do I care? No... Why not?! Because I can go weeks with drinking nothing... and to be honest while logging cals I'm seriously looking at what I prefer more booze or food!

Went to a hen a week ago and drank a lot on the saturday, haven't had a drink since... (was slightly upset that I doubled my calorie goal with cocktails and wine).

Drink sensibly...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Please correct me, if I got your comment wrong, but seem you have a very relaxed view about it, drink more than enough and like it.

Honestly for me, if someone needs 8 drinks every single day, is a borderline alcoholic.
    I don't drink, I see no reason to do so, and I have no sympathy for anyone who is incapable of keeping his/her alcohol intake to a riskfree (for others) limit.
    There are simple too many victims of alcohol abuse (and I am talking purely about the innocent ones) to take alcohol so relaxed.

Yes, I do have an interesting opinion of alcohol considering my past, but I still respect government guidelines to a tee.

When you eventually go back and read the thread properly and gain some context, you'll see that I drink 2/3 glasses 2/4 times a month, this is based on the doctors guidelines. I enjoy getting buzzed, but feel confident that my attitude to alcohol is healthy.

My point is, I'm not going to let my parents irresponsibility affect my life. I've had to do this in every area, build myself up and make myself, as I had no adults around me growing up. Part of this was deprogramming myself from AA, and learning about moderation. I've had to learn how to eat normally too, hence being here on MFP.

I think extremes of any kind are unhealthy. You seem to have a very judgemental view on alcohol.

I don't know where you got 8 drinks a day from, that hasn't been mentioned. 8 a week seems ok. I wouldn't do it because I need to recover fast for triathlon training.

There's a big difference between responsible, mature social drinking and harmful drinking.

Too many people are brainwashed by the media, people making money from schemes and books and government about how evil alcohol, carbs, etc etc are.

I refuse to live my life in fear, like a sheep. You haven't read properly, and you are very closed minded. You could learn a lot here, but you need to jump to conclusions less.
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I advise on life Insurance in the UK, actuaries and underwriters are interested in what affects mortality/morbity and will charge accordingly, higher risk - higher premium.

Nearly all insurance companies are't bothered about alcohol consumed until it goes over 18 units for women or 24 units for men per week.

That says to me, unless you have personally been advised by a medical professional to reduce your alcohol intake to below these levels, then they have no issue with the amount you consume within these limits.

Everybodies opinion about what constitutes 'heavy drinking' is different, and it always will be.
  • afortunatedragon
    Options
    Yes, I do have an interesting opinion of alcohol considering my past, but I still respect government guidelines to a tee.

When you eventually go back and read the thread properly and gain some context, you'll see that I drink 2/3 glasses 2/4 times a month, this is based on the doctors guidelines. I enjoy getting buzzed, but feel confident that my attitude to alcohol is healthy.

My point is, I'm not going to let my parents irresponsibility affect my life. I've had to do this in every area, build myself up and make myself, as I had no adults around me growing up. Part of this was deprogramming myself from AA, and learning about moderation. I've had to learn how to eat normally too, hence being here on MFP.

I think extremes of any kind are unhealthy. You seem to have a very judgemental view on alcohol.

I don't know where you got 8 drinks a day from, that hasn't been mentioned. 8 a week seems ok. I wouldn't do it because I need to recover fast for triathlon training.

There's a big difference between responsible, mature social drinking and harmful drinking.

Too many people are brainwashed by the media, people making money from schemes and books and government about how evil alcohol, carbs, etc etc are.

I refuse to live my life in fear, like a sheep. You haven't read properly, and you are very closed minded. You could learn a lot here, but you need to jump to conclusions less.

Actually I have no "judgemental" and "closed minded" view about alcohol.
    I have a judgemental and closed minded view about people with alcohol abuse issues. And I am very happy with it.
    Because I have my reasons.

If you invite someone for a discussion in future, mind your words. I will leave it to this.

P.S.: I meant 8 units a week, not a day. Tipo. Mea culpa.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

You clarified you meant week in another post - why do you feel comfortable labelling anyone who drinks 8 drinks a week a "borderline alcoholic"?

Do you have some sort of training in substance abuse?

How would 8 drinks a week put others at risk?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

You clarified you meant week in another post - why do you feel comfortable labelling anyone who drinks 8 drinks a week a "borderline alcoholic"?

Do you have some sort of training in substance abuse?

How would 8 drinks a week put others at risk?

LOL at 8 drinks a week being borderline alcoholic. Clearly, this poster knows nothing about substance abuse. Only what she perceives to be substance abuse based on her own bias, since she clearly doesn't drink.

And I have no clue how drinking 8 drinks a week puts anyone at risk. What does that even mean?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Actually I have no "judgemental" and "closed minded" view about alcohol.
    I have a judgemental and closed minded view about people with alcohol abuse issues. And I am very happy with it.
    Because I have my reasons.

If you invite someone for a discussion in future, mind your words. I will leave it to this.

P.S.: I meant 8 units a week, not a day. Tipo. Mea culpa.

Mind your words? I didn't see anything in the quoted post that was rude. Certainly not as rude as diagnosing a huge portion of the population with alcoholism.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

The only way someone is an alcoholic if they drink 8 drinks a week is if they are tiny and their metabolism has shifted to run off the booze.

Period.

This really isn't debatable.

Alcoholics have a metabolic shift. It happens on a cellular level.

Someone having a drinking problem does not an alcoholic make. Period.

My bestie was an alcoholic- straight up- couldn't make it through the week without the shakes- but due to our circumstances she could only drink a handful of times through the week.

My most recent roommate- drank incessantly- never saw him NOT drinking- but he was perfectly functional and if he didn't drink so be it- and he drank ALL.THE.TIME. No idea how he wasn't an actual alcoholic- but I do not think his metabolism had shifted-

Extremely heavy drinker? yep.
    Did he have problems? you betcha
    Did he get bit in the *kitten* for it? sure did- DUI at some point while I was living with him- totally inappropriate what he thought was acceptable to be driving at (which was hammered). So unsafe.

Technically- NOT an alcoholic. Alcohol abuser? Self medicating? yep- heavy drinker? yep-still not an alcoholic.