8 Drinks! Are You Kidding Me???

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do have an interesting opinion of alcohol considering my past, but I still respect government guidelines to a tee.

When you eventually go back and read the thread properly and gain some context, you'll see that I drink 2/3 glasses 2/4 times a month, this is based on the doctors guidelines. I enjoy getting buzzed, but feel confident that my attitude to alcohol is healthy.

My point is, I'm not going to let my parents irresponsibility affect my life. I've had to do this in every area, build myself up and make myself, as I had no adults around me growing up. Part of this was deprogramming myself from AA, and learning about moderation. I've had to learn how to eat normally too, hence being here on MFP.

I think extremes of any kind are unhealthy. You seem to have a very judgemental view on alcohol.

I don't know where you got 8 drinks a day from, that hasn't been mentioned. 8 a week seems ok. I wouldn't do it because I need to recover fast for triathlon training.

There's a big difference between responsible, mature social drinking and harmful drinking.

Too many people are brainwashed by the media, people making money from schemes and books and government about how evil alcohol, carbs, etc etc are.

I refuse to live my life in fear, like a sheep. You haven't read properly, and you are very closed minded. You could learn a lot here, but you need to jump to conclusions less.

Actually I have no "judgemental" and "closed minded" view about alcohol.
    I have a judgemental and closed minded view about people with alcohol abuse issues. And I am very happy with it.
    Because I have my reasons.

If you invite someone for a discussion in future, mind your words. I will leave it to this.

P.S.: I meant 8 units a week, not a day. Tipo. Mea culpa.

Seems to me that your definition of alcohol 'abuse' and everyone else's version (including government and medical guidelines) are different things.

Seeing as alcohol is a cunning thing, can bring out the worst in people,with many victims, I can see how you form your opinion.

I drink moderately, which you disagree with, but maybe the world is wrong and you are right and we should all be teetotal.

But think about this, it's the person underneath, not the alcohol, that causes the harm.

There's a well known saying in AA. It goes something like this..'Take the alcohol away from the alcoholic, and then you have to deal with the reason why they started drinking in the first place'. There are many personality disorders behind the alcohol abuser.

I know plenty of decent people that moderately to heavy drink.

Mind my words? Odd. So it's ok for you to be sarcastic and use patronising emoticons (which I didn't get butthurt about, though I should of done, seeing as you'd pretty much massively put your foot in it lol!)? Where where my words needing to be minded? Accusing you of being close minded about alcohol? Not reading properly? Ummmmm....
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Then you should visit my world in London and south of France! People spend their lives dabbling in and out of heavy drinking and function fine and live long lives. My grandparents lived til their late 80s, drank every day from midday and were fine upstanding citizens. There's so much fear around alcohol, rightly, but it's just human nature to enjoy it, it doesn't always mean there's a problem. When you meet a real alcoholic you can see/smell/sense a big difference.

Fascinating :huh:

May you please volunteer one single Saturday evening in any regular hospital in the emergency room.
    Or may I personally introduce you to two people, one brain damaged and another one dead. Both victims independently to the so called "enjoyment" of somebody else to alcohol.
    And may we please discuss this "there is so much fear around alcohol" statement again afterwards.

And what is by your definition a "real" alcoholic? How many do you know?

And to newcomers! Here is the post which apparently has no anger behind it.

Possibly the worst faux pas yet to be seen on MFP considering I'd just stated that both my parents were alcoholics and one had died from it. Actually, maybe they are the two people that I'm going to get 'personally introduced to'. How lovely.

Im still not butthurt though. I'm chuckling at the hilarity of it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The irony was pretty strong.

you done good girl. Proud of you :)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I advise on life Insurance in the UK, actuaries and underwriters are interested in what affects mortality/morbity and will charge accordingly, higher risk - higher premium.

Nearly all insurance companies are't bothered about alcohol consumed until it goes over 18 units for women or 24 units for men per week.

That says to me, unless you have personally been advised by a medical professional to reduce your alcohol intake to below these levels, then they have no issue with the amount you consume within these limits.

Everybodies opinion about what constitutes 'heavy drinking' is different, and it always will be.

This is an interesting way to look at it, and always good to look at the opinions of those who have money at stake, as it tends to focus the mind a bit.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have family members that need to drink or else they go through physical withdrawal, as described in this thread. But, it took a long time to get to that point and I think they were an alcoholic before they got to that point.

I have other family members that are struggling with physical addiction to other drugs, but also have extreme, severe health problems due to alcohol. They have to wake up every morning, to go to the hospital, to get hooked up to machines. Their internal organs no longer function correctly, and it is at a major risk of turning into cancer. No alcohol is permitted. But, the person still drinks. I don't know how much. Possibly all day. I don't know if this person is physically addicted to alcohol or not. But, if a person is drinking, even though it is causing them these major health problems and leading to a very early death then I would consider that an alcoholic. All of this, "No, I'm a problem drinker, not an alcoholic, so I can still drink" stuff is part of the problem. I want this person to face that they are also an alcoholic, just as they are addicted to other substances, and I want this person to know that they can not drink at all, anymore. Denial can be life threatening. So, I think it is silly to call people alcoholics based on ridiculous reasons, but I also think that some people need to face that they are an alcoholic and stop drinking and start living.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    The irony was pretty strong.

you done good girl. Proud of you :)

:drinker:

Cheers!
    :heart:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I've got to say I'm enjoying this debate and it's making me think.

Rich is the person that can moderate their alcohol consumption. It's not easy, it takes hard work. I think abstinence is an easy answer, but there is a lot of pleasure to be had sharing food and wine with friends and lovers.

I was a bit shocked when my friend had a glass of wine with me one night, we don't usually drink, but I'd cooked a curry and had some knocking around, he's easily 200lb of muscle, 6'3" and it went to his head and couldn't finish it. I love that in a man! This is why I like to hang out with sportsmen. Particularly as most guys in the uk are heavy drinkers (and substance users).

You clearly hang out with different sportsmen to me. Drinking is practically compulsory on Rugby teams.....:wink:

Also: My dad is a functioning alcoholic. I am not, and yet I drink more than him.
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    . Particularly as most guys in the uk are heavy drinkers (and substance users).

Really? Most? Tad of a sweeping generalisation?? :noway:
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Apologies.

I meant most guys that I know, relatives, friends, associates, clients are heavy drinkers. Many partake in the marching powder, a surprising amount. But I'm in the music business and am single. This is why I try to date triathletes and fitness people, as I prefer their company, and they won't encourage me to go off my moderate lifestyle!
  • sticky130
    Options

Apologies.

I meant most guys that I know, relatives, friends, associates, clients are heavy drinkers. Many partake in the marching powder, a surprising amount. But I'm in the music business and am single. This is why I try to date triathletes and fitness people, as I prefer their company, and they won't encourage me to go off my moderate lifestyle!

Apology accepted :wink:

I do agree though in certain circles it does have a tendancy to go on more than we think. When I worked in the city it was usually who isn't!!

Good for you sticking by your own rules, when it seems all around you there are bad influences.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Apologies.

I do agree though in certain circles it does have a tendancy to go on more than we think. When I worked in the city it was usually who isn't!!

Good for you sticking by your own rules, when it seems all around you there are bad influences.

I mean no disrespect, but in my own experience, British and Aussie men drink quite a bit more than American men, and this is in a professional environment. The norm is to allow the man who drinks the fastest to set the pace and order round after round for the group at that pace. Of course, many of these same guys are in their 30s, 40s and 50s, regularly run marathons and triathlons, along with other athletic endeavors, and so it has honestly left me wondering where the line is that truly negatively impacts health. I go back to my earlier statement that there is a bit of a religious tinge to American's view of alcohol that is wholly unnecessary and tends to cloud the analysis. As for me, I enjoy a good drink but I'm a lightweight.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Apologies.

I mean no disrespect, but in my own experience, British and Aussie men drink quite a bit more than American men, and this is in a professional environment. The norm is to allow the man who drinks the fastest to set the pace and order round after round for the group at that pace. Of course, many of these same guys are in their 30s, 40s and 50s, regularly run marathons and triathlons, along with other athletic endeavors, and so it has honestly left me wondering where the line is that truly negatively impacts health. I go back to my earlier statement that there is a bit of a religious tinge to American's view of alcohol that is wholly unnecessary and tends to cloud the analysis. As for me, I enjoy a good drink but I'm a lightweight.

That's and outrageous statement. I live in the UK and nothing is further from the truth.

Just wait till I tell the guys down the pub about this one!
  • Springfield1970
    Options

Apologies.

The drinking culture in the UK is appalling. At least on the continent children are encouraged to have food and alcohol, and bar snacks and tapas are free or affordable. I worry about my son, and I'm indoctrinating him into the sporty lifestyle early. Hopefully he'll learn what moderate drinking is by the females around him, but his male role models all open a beer at the drop of a hat.

Get this! A his school valentines disco, when he was 5, there was a table of wine and beer for the parents. Every event at his school serves alcohol, even the summer fair. It makes me sooooo cross. This is not a good message. I'm surprised they don't have it at the sports day lol!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    8 drinks a week? That means if I have 1 glass of wine or 1 beer every night, and decide just one night out of 7 to have a second glass of wine or beer, I'm a "heavy drinker"? I thought it was supposed to be good for you to have 1 glass of wine a day. Well, I guess I'm an alcoholic.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I mean, I barely drink so it seems heavy to me.

However, spaced out throughout the week, it's below the legal limit for driving (assuming 1 or 2 tops per day), so I'm not sure where they got the 8 from.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Apologies.

That's and outrageous statement. I live in the UK and nothing is further from the truth.

Just wait till I tell the guys down the pub about this one!

:laugh: :wink:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I'm with the CDC on this one; 8 drinks a week is heavy drinking. The CDC also explains that binge drinking is even more:
    What is binge drinking?
    According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, binge drinking is defined as a pattern of alcohol consumption that brings the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level to 0.08% or more. This pattern of drinking usually corresponds to 5 or more drinks on a single occasion for men or 4 or more drinks on a single occasion for women, generally within about 2 hours

Put that in perspective. Four drinks in 2 hours for a woman is a binge. Does it make a little more sense now why 8 drinks in a week is heavy drinking?

I have a police-grade breathalyzer. If I'm a .08%, I'm drunk. If I did that 2 nights in a week (4 drinks in 2 hours X 2 days), yeah, I would say I drank heavily that week.
  • sticky130
    Options

Apologies.

Well before I moved into finance I ran pubs in the UK for 12 years just over 100 in total. I agree with you in some aspects, the ones that do drink REALLY know how to put it away and to make matters worse there have been a few times where keys have been confiscated. However; now I don't work in that arena I'm beginning to find that less & less people actually go to the pub that much and this may explain why so many are closing down.

I do think that nowadays people are drinking less & less due to cost.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
  • sticky130
    Options
    8 drinks a week? That means if I have 1 glass of wine or 1 beer every night, and decide just one night out of 7 to have a second glass of wine or beer, I'm a "heavy drinker"? I thought it was supposed to be good for you to have 1 glass of wine a day. Well, I guess I'm an alcoholic.

You and me both!!

I'm taking this with a large pinch of salt and I'm going to carry regardless, Unless a health professional tells me otherwise it's staying the same.

Also come to think of it then is there anybody in mainland Europe not an alcoholic by these rules?? I watched on TV this week that the French/italian/Greece diet are some the healthiest in the world and a heart specialist said it was down to consuming red wine & red meat. They came back with the lowest cholesterol also.

So go figure.....