8 Drinks! Are You Kidding Me???

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
    :drinker:
  • feydevilwoman
    feydevilwoman Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    8 drinks in one week is just one beer (or whatever) and just two one night. That's barely a heavy drinker. Eight drinks a night is a lot, but in week? Meh.

THIS!!!
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    . Particularly as most guys in the uk are heavy drinkers (and substance users).

Really? Most? Tad of a sweeping generalisation?? :noway:

Apologies.

I meant most guys that I know, relatives, friends, associates, clients are heavy drinkers. Many partake in the marching powder, a surprising amount. But I'm in the music business and am single. This is why I try to date triathletes and fitness people, as I prefer their company, and they won't encourage me to go off my moderate lifestyle!

Apology accepted :wink:

I do agree though in certain circles it does have a tendancy to go on more than we think. When I worked in the city it was usually who isn't!!

Good for you sticking by your own rules, when it seems all around you there are bad influences.

I mean no disrespect, but in my own experience, British and Aussie men drink quite a bit more than American men, and this is in a professional environment. The norm is to allow the man who drinks the fastest to set the pace and order round after round for the group at that pace. Of course, many of these same guys are in their 30s, 40s and 50s, regularly run marathons and triathlons, along with other athletic endeavors, and so it has honestly left me wondering where the line is that truly negatively impacts health. I go back to my earlier statement that there is a bit of a religious tinge to American's view of alcohol that is wholly unnecessary and tends to cloud the analysis. As for me, I enjoy a good drink but I'm a lightweight.

Well before I moved into finance I ran pubs in the UK for 12 years just over 100 in total. I agree with you in some aspects, the ones that do drink REALLY know how to put it away and to make matters worse there have been a few times where keys have been confiscated. However; now I don't work in that arena I'm beginning to find that less & less people actually go to the pub that much and this may explain why so many are closing down.

I do think that nowadays people are drinking less & less due to cost.

While it's definitely true that people are going to the pub less I think people are still drinking just as much - they're just doing it at home. In fact in my experience this often means drinking more because for what you pay for 2 glasses of wine in a pub you could buy a whole bottle in the supermarket.
  • sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    . Particularly as most guys in the uk are heavy drinkers (and substance users).

Really? Most? Tad of a sweeping generalisation?? :noway:

Apologies.

I meant most guys that I know, relatives, friends, associates, clients are heavy drinkers. Many partake in the marching powder, a surprising amount. But I'm in the music business and am single. This is why I try to date triathletes and fitness people, as I prefer their company, and they won't encourage me to go off my moderate lifestyle!

Apology accepted :wink:

I do agree though in certain circles it does have a tendancy to go on more than we think. When I worked in the city it was usually who isn't!!

Good for you sticking by your own rules, when it seems all around you there are bad influences.

I mean no disrespect, but in my own experience, British and Aussie men drink quite a bit more than American men, and this is in a professional environment. The norm is to allow the man who drinks the fastest to set the pace and order round after round for the group at that pace. Of course, many of these same guys are in their 30s, 40s and 50s, regularly run marathons and triathlons, along with other athletic endeavors, and so it has honestly left me wondering where the line is that truly negatively impacts health. I go back to my earlier statement that there is a bit of a religious tinge to American's view of alcohol that is wholly unnecessary and tends to cloud the analysis. As for me, I enjoy a good drink but I'm a lightweight.

Well before I moved into finance I ran pubs in the UK for 12 years just over 100 in total. I agree with you in some aspects, the ones that do drink REALLY know how to put it away and to make matters worse there have been a few times where keys have been confiscated. However; now I don't work in that arena I'm beginning to find that less & less people actually go to the pub that much and this may explain why so many are closing down.

I do think that nowadays people are drinking less & less due to cost.

While it's definitely true that people are going to the pub less I think people are still drinking just as much - they're just doing it at home. In fact in my experience this often means drinking more because for what you pay for 2 glasses of wine in a pub you could buy a whole bottle in the supermarket.

So true!

And this is why MY red wine comes by the case :drinker:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Medically, it has to do with the line between the drinks being "good for your heart" and "bad for your liver". It's a medical distinction, not based on alcoholism but based on body function. A liver is a liver. Most women will have similarly sized livers.

Actually organ size is variable. Most women do not have the same sized internal organs. I found this out because a friend needed a kidney. And my kidney was too small. I am petite and my rib cage is only 26 inches, waist 23 inches, so my internal organs are smaller than average. In addition to that I had a very bad case of mono when I was 13, and since then have periodically had issues with my liver (on mri scans and blood tests), but it's doing great now.

I retract the similarly sized organs thing. Made that up. But the rest I read in a medical study a few months ago.
    Again, they are terming it as "heavy drinking" not "alcoholism" because it's a medical distinction that does not have to do with addiction.

Just thinking that the person who replied to my original post is probably not a "typical" female with a tiny waist (jealous) and mono when young that affected her liver...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was just discussing this with my co-worker today. I don't generally believe any health related stories on the news as they are generally not verifiable by science and are also geared more toward being memorable by way of shock value than being completely accurate.

This may be true of stories on Good Morning America or Oprah or shows like that. But the CDC bases it's guidelines on medical data. The drinking classifications are based on association with disease. It's not a condemnation, as the OP suggests, and it's not for shock value, as you suggest. It's just data.

If you want to lower risk of disease, drink less than the guidelines. Or lower it in some other manner, like say, exercise. :wink: