WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2014

Options

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Good Morning beautiful ladies. Hope you all are enjoying this holiday. I am working today and that is ok. We went to DS last evening for BBQ and I did well on food. Then went to the ball park to listen to a band and watch fireworks. The little town of Phillips does a very nice show. Our night of working the firework stand for Cosmos went well. I am surprised at the money people spend on fireworks. I will be glad when tonight is over as my dogs are going nuts with the fireworks going off all day and most the night.
    Tomorrow is our family reunion and will be the first without dad. Sounds like it will be a good day weather wise. I still have to figure out what I am taking as it is a pot luck.

Joyce--Glad to hear your test is over and hope they can give you some answers. I know what you mean about some young people today. I am so upset with my DSD and her oldest boy. They have no respect and want everything handed to them. I have been praying for them alot lately as that is all I can or will do. Hope your change of plans brings Blessings and fun.

Meg--Sorry to hear about your bad day. I think your minni binge was better then a full blown one. Hope DH and his rash is better.

Katie--I am sorry to hear about your cat. I hope you get a answer to his where abouts. Just read the update and glad kitty is home.

Sandy--maybe DD needs to fix her own meals and you make for yourself.

Margaret--Wendy sounds like a very smart dog and great friend to spend time with.

Michelle-welcome back, glad Jessica is moved. Missed you. I am also surprised the building did not have ADA standards.

Patty--Thanks for the advice, I am going to give it a try and yes it does feel at times like I am watching myself be my worst emeny. I am feeling better today. Yesterday was a very nice day and that helps.

DeeDee--Thanks for the support it means alot.

Allison--hugs! Sometimes our parents act more like our children and I am not sure at times how to deal with that. Pray it all works out for you.

Sylvia--That is a funny story about the cat. Sounds like he had the best of both worlds. WOW!! you have sure been busy. Sorry to hear about your friends grandbaby. Sending prayers and good thoughts.

Beth--Happy Birthday!

Heather--Congrates on a great NSV. I am hoping to do better in the heat this year also.

Jane--Hugs! Sorry to hear about your friend.

jb--your garden sounds fantastic.

Annecarolone--How scary. BEARS!!

Pat--I also hate buying bed pillows. They feel good in the store and then when I get them home they are all wrong. I would love to find a good feather pillow. A friend made me one several years ago, but the feathers keep poking out and it sheds terrible. I have even double cased it.

Cindy--Happy 33 years, that is something to be proud of!!

Manclass--Congrates on your loss and start of July.

Well ladies hope you enjoy the rest of today.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We had a wonderful, wonderful time with the family at the Old Spaghetti Factory for lunch today. I know my husband really wanted the have both our girls, SIL and grand kids just to our family only for lunch but I don't know what we could have done better. Since there were 16 of us, oh just 15, explain later, we made sure us and our girls and family were at our end of the table and the other two families at the other end. Of course a 1 and 2 year old always gets a lot of attention from a lot of people. And they are precious. The 16th person couldn't come. He's the Dad of the little ones and my brothers only child. He is still on probation still and his house arrest ankle bracelet only has a 3 county range and he couldn't come. My husband really has a problem with him leaving his responsibilities to 'find himself'. I got some great pictures. Taking pictures with the mini iPad is so easy, the 2 year old could have done it. So we just passed it down and one person took a picture of the next two acting silly. And then the iPad would go on down the line like that. My sister and her husband really don't like their pictures taken so it involved only my family. I figured out my food last night and stuck to it. They give a dish of spumoni with every meal and I gave mine to my youngest grandaughter. She is crazy about it.

Analisa, I don't remember everyone's names. Some people have this system of keeping two tabs open while reading, they apparently skip to the other tab to write notes as they read. I would never be able to figure that out so I just take little notes. If anyone really notices, I generally respond to the people right before I post, not a page back. We just want to know you so tell us about you and you will gradually get to know several names. That is the most wonderful thing about this group. We are here at MFP to eat better and take better control over our lives in that way but have all gathered here because we all have one thing in common, females over 50. OOPS, I guess that's 2 things! It's like sitting and having coffee with your best friend who may be 'across the pond' but is actually on the other side of my computer. I love it when I read peoples goals. It isn't just about goals of dieting, setting goals for our lives help us get our diet together also.

Beth, I agree with you about Allison. I think she could be nominated for sainthood or something. Even this thing about the tree going down and the grand child inside sleeping. In my house that kid would be outside helping just because that's what people do when they love some one. Allison is one of the most caring people I have met.

Safe wishes for all on the east coast and everyone have a good, safe, happy 4th of July!

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    evening my friends,
    I have thrown caution to the wind and have pigged out the whole time the girls are here, I wont even get on the scale. I am to scared..
    when they leave Sunday morning I will get back into what I should be doing..
    Thank you for all the compliment's, I just do what I do.. I have been this way all my life.. so It is no different...
    I do for other's ,without expecting anything in return.. when I do get something it is appreciated , when I dont I am not dissapointed..
    when I am gone, I dont want to be remembered as a selfish mamby pamby.
    I think once we move down to Florida I will be able to find some type of working helping the elderly,, I have patience and am used to it with my dad and DFIL...
    hopefully taking the girls to the beach tomorrow for our last full day together.. they have had a blast and I am so happy....
    :heart:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Allison, I think that's a great idea to volunteer with the elderly. It takes a special person, especially to work with those with personalities. I am a certified lay speaker and am often called to provide the Sunday morning message at a local retirement village. One resident is a true character. Last time I was there she announced loudly in the hallway that she wasn't going in, that she was going back to her room to listen to Charles Stanley! The nurse talked her into coming in anyway. She thanked me for coming in the end. One other time she came late and was not happy that the service was over. She told me that God would not be happy with me! I apologized and offered to stay and do prayer/devotion with her, but she was having none of it. I learned early on not to take it personally.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Happy 4th of July to all in the US!!! My dog went to the groomer's yesterday and came home with a red, white and blue bandana. I went horseback riding early this morning before all the craziness gets started with firecrackers, etc. People in SD can start buying fireworks on July 1 and we have been hearing them for four days now even though it is illegal to shoot them off inside the city limits. Luckily our pets do not seem bothered.

Sounds like we have some awesome gardeners here. I grow a few tomatoes but that is it. I admire those of you who do so much more.

We are not doing much to celebrate the 4th as we are having a big family get together in August to celebrate my mom's 90th birthday. DH and I will probably watch Boston Pops on TV with their July 4th concert.

Hope all on the east coast are safe from Arthur.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hi my screen name is Lestan48 and real name is Lesley. I am 66 and was born in North of England in 1948 and migrated to Australia in 1978 with second husband and daughter from first marriage (she was 7) We needed to get away from ex-spouses and start a new life in Australia. never regretted it.
    We went to Victoria and I worked as a path scientist until 1980 when I got the cancer research position. Worked at Peter Mac until 2005 when told I had to retire. That was hard but needed to be done to save my life.
    I have genetically high cholesterol, diagnosed when I was 21 and was controlled by fibrates. Then on 2000 doctors said I HAD to go on statins. My cholesterol levels kept rising and I had no strength and gave up body building. By 2004 I could hardly walk or lift my arms. Lucky for me a new doctor, fresh from America, who knew me years before called in my doctor. They did tests and showed my skeletal muscles were falling apart but heart still strong. Came off the statins and retired in 2005 to Tasmania. I started walking, painfully, increasing the distance every day until i could walk 5 Km with no pain.
    In late 2005 I joined Jillian Michaels' and Tom Venuto's sites and got great help and recipes. Ileft this year. I was OZ size 24 and now OZ size 12
    Just over 2 years ago my cholesterol levels were getting high and I was put on Lipidil, a non-statin and my levels have gone down. My HDLs are in normal range but LDLs high as NO HDL receptos in liver and it churns out more LDLs. My doctor is real happy and next test is in December this year
    I love walking and do race-walking round my own 400M track to get good cardio. I exercise in my bedroom to Jillian, Bob Harper and Jeannette Jenkins DVD. I LOVE kettle-bells.
    I have a 11 1/2 year old female beagle who used to come on long walks with me but now just walks in our paddocks.
    I cook from scratch with healthy fresh fruit, veg and meat. My favourite recipe books are by Jamie Oliver. Lamb shanks baked with veg for dinner tonight.

We live on a 10 acre rural property in a rural setting in NW Tasmania.
    I love walking and Cradle Mountain walks are a favourite
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    I just changed my profile pic. It's kind of scary. I really don't think I look like that. I think it's because I have been fat for so long it is a foreign concept to me to see me as looking like that. I have never felt like smiling in pics because of my weight. so it's a picture of a woman who has defined shoulder line, chin, face, a face that is happy. So it's hard to believe it is me because so far the rest of me hasn't totally caught up with this new person. Am I expressing myself right? Does anyone else feel like that. That on the inside they are still the fat person and they don't see that other person yet??? Also my family gets tired of me talking about my weight and me feeling like this because if I showed the rest of the pictures I took today you would see that they are still fat, some obese, well more than some rather most of them are!!!!

Allison, I am glad you are the kind of person you are. Just let us be concerned that sometimes a person needs to crash and cry because there are to many burdens on 2 shoulders. You are the kind of person that the world needs. if we all would be that way there wouldn't be the divisions in countries, families, government. So you keep on being you because we love you!

Joyce, Indiana
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Joyce.........That is a VERY good picture; you look fabulous!!!!!!!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday America,

Happy Birthday Beth:flowerforyou:

Happy Anniversary Cindy and Heather.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

My mom spells Lesley just like you. Welcome.

Today went for a long walk in the park down the street from us. We live a block from a 880 acre park that has a creek running through it. Not going for the fireworks. Don't like the traffic and the bugs. Quite buggy after dark now with all the rain we had. Enjoyed another visit from our neighbor's dogs Wendy and Daisy.

Today I went for a long walk with DH so tomorrow I will have a healthier body and marriage.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    MNMargaret
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Happy Fourth of July!

Joyce...love the new picture!

Eileen near San Diego
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a rebounder DVD today. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a Paul Katemi ASAP DVD and then go to the farmer's market.

Welcome everyone new

Lestan48 - your post sounds so interesting

After exercising, went to play mahjongg then came home and put down more rock. Vince wanted to wait until later in the day so that the area where we had to work was in the shade. We will be finished under the deck tomorrow and then start working on putting rock down on the side of the garage. Afterwards, I went in the pool. While I was at mahjongg, Vince bought me two recliners. The ones we have you can't really recline all the way down so I needed something so that I can dry off.

While I was at mahjongg, Vince's cousin from MO called. See, he's a licensed mortician. When Vince's mother passed away in 05, she want to be creamated and buried in the family plot in MO. Well, Vince couldn't understand why I asked that he have her ashes shipped to his cousin in MO. I knew deep inside that even tho he said he wanted to be there for the burial of her ashes, it would be a long time and I didn't want her ashes in the house. Well, it seems that the cemetary is going to be sold or something like that. Basically, if we wait, it'll cost like $200-$300 to dig the hole. If we do it now (since his cousin is licensed), his cousin can dig the hole. I told his cousin that he'd have to ask Vince what he wants to do. I remember shortly after his mother passed, I said something, I think I made some sort of suggestion, and Vince just said to me "she's not your mother". No, but she was a lot like a mother to me. I'm willing to bet that Vince tells his cousin to bury the ashes himself. I had a feeling that's what would happen ten years ago.

CynthiaT60 - to be honest, the amount of trouble Lance was giving us getting his injections, I wouldn't even TRY a pill shooter. He doesn't have any special diabetic food. I remember we had some for PJ and it was not cheap at all. Oh, our vet (the one Jesica goes to) had a patient whose dog passed away and was taking Lantus. It's usually around $200 a bottle. She had 7 bottles! So the vet GAVE us three bottles. Wasn't that nice of him? Hope the "sleeve" helps your dog.

Pat - happy birthday to your gd. Good luck finding a doc. I hate doing that

Beth - so glad son is migraine free

moondoggz - I so agree with you, you can't eat healthy one day and not the next. You know what's the worst part I've found? Now I'm getting more and more used to heatlhy food, that un-healthy food turns me off. Problem? The problem comes in when you're invited somewhere and all that's there is un-healthy. Like I went to Mexican Train the other night. She was having hot dogs (I can't remember the last time I had a hot dog), sausages (talk about fat!) or brats (and more fat). So I wound up bringing a veggie burger and portobello mushroom with me. Boy, I was so full! But it felt good. And what did she serve with it? Sauerkraut (high in sodium) and baked beans. So I brought lettuce with me and onions, I did have some of her mustard. Good for you eating everything but in moderation

Juanita - unfortunately, my freezer is getting to where it's really packed....lol Too many good veges and fruits in season right now. Well, I'll just be able to have them for longer, that's all.

Cindy in OK - happy anniversary!

MancLass - what a great start to the month!

katla - have you ever put peas in your dehydrator? The dried peas (Just Peas it's called) are awesome!

Joyce - sounds like such a lovely, lovely time. Looking at your new pic, I was about to mention how wonderful you look

Leslie - your description of your past and plans for the future are fantastic reading. You've been thru so much

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    This is Freezer Order
    I have my own system for labeling homemade freezer meals.
    Forget calling them "Veal Parmigiana" or "Turkey Loaf" or "Beef Pot Pie."
    If you look in my freezer you'll see "Whatever," "Anything," "I Don't Know," and, my favorite, "Food."
    That way when I ask my husband what he wants for dinner, I'm certain to have what he wants."for all of you ladies that do a lot of freezing of your meals.

Joyce, Indiana
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the birthday wishes! Had a great day today AND stayed within my calorie budget! And, yes, while my head was in the sink, my friends came in and surprised me for my birthday! :smile:

Joyce ... absolutely love your new photo!

Beth in Western New York
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, Friends. Hope everyone celebrating Independence Day is staying safe and sane.

Joyce: Keep smiling in pictures! You look fantastic.

Kim: Bravo on releasing inches. Proud of you.

Today I worked out in the pool and sat outside on lounge chair to read some magazines. A family representing three generations came to frolic and while I was not trying to eavesdrop, it was easy to follow their conversation. They started talking about what to bring to a barbeque tonight – hot dogs, Doritos, pecan sandies, watermelon and diet soda. Two years ago, that was my normal. How my tastes have changed! Our special holiday meal today was sharing a rib-eye with DH, hummus, cucumber slices, organic spring mix with basic infused olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Dessert was fresh mango slices, a fruit that’s high on the sugar spectrum so only comes out on special occasions.

It’s dark now and the noise outside has reached warzone levels from all the privately owned fireworks (not all necessary legal). Fortunately, we had a hard rain earlier and so all the roofs, trees and lawns are soaked which gives me some peace of mind that a stray spark won’t set someone’s house on fire. My cat is intrigued by the sounds and smell of gunpowder. I swear nothing fazes him. DH and I are feeding our 'travel bug' with back to back episodes of Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown. Anyone else into this show?

Stay well,
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills where we're looking forward to Meg's visit next weekend!

July Goals:
    Try out master’s swim.
    45 minutes of cardio 5x/week
    Minimize sugar and wheat.
    Read ‘Strong Women Stay Young’
    Call a friend or relative 1x per week.
  • ouray12
    ouray12 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July no matter where you live. Think I had a similar day with Joyce, Pat and Kim. Whether
    you're going to a restaurant or a friend's party, got to figure what you can and won't eat. We went out with friends to a large salad,
    buffet, but it was closed so ended up in a Cajun diner. After searching the menu, chose grilled shrimp with steamed squash and
    a lettuce salad. Was surprisingly good and filled me up. Course the men had jumbalaya & my friend had crab cakes...(anything
    with the word cake sounds good, but I left it alone.

Rondaoaks, you are still down 35 lbs. and that is so great!! Hang in there & you'll get the rest off.

Barbiecat Today logging was 1298 cal. 130 carbs and 64 protein. Don't know if that's good or not.

Maduerdorf: Good luck with the C25K. Heard from friends that is is a great program. Do you know of a pre program
    getting you ready for the C25K?

Renny - Congrats on the new grandson! So sweet & know you miss him.

Jb - What a wonderful garden with the freezing, harvesting & processing. So much work and effort with a huge payoff
    in fresh, healthy produce.

Lesley - organic fruits & veggies & berries. Must be wonderful picking & eating the berries...Do you grow cherries?

Katia, love the idea of purple pod fall beans.

Juanita - strawberry fields forever!

Joyce - love the labeling for the freezer bags.

YannieJannie - glad the worst of the storm is over. hope you don't have much damage.

Read everyone's posts & all seem to be having a good start to the weekend,

Karen in Texas
  • ksquaredz963
    ksquaredz963 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm new to MFP. I have been 'browsing' MFP reading posts to acclimate myself. I found your topic why I was looking around. Mind if I join?
    I'm journalling before a hip replacement to get back in the habit of tracking my food. Hopefully, I will be able to be more active in about 6 weeks.

KK in California
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    AnneCarolOne – where do you live???? :noway: No bears near me!!

Katla – installing a vacuum? I just plug mine in and push it around

Heather – those of us in the US don’t have watering butts… in fact what we sit on is a butt (tush, bottom, *kitten*) so the watering butt is a weird visual… can you help translate?:laugh:

I wish there was a bakery close! I end up making my bread as the packaged stuff is really not worth it. Our closet good bakery is 30 miles away.

I have to search out some SriLankan recipes as I have never eaten SriLankan food – we had a restaurant near here but it only lasted a month…

Cynthia – sending good thoughts for Tuesday!

Beth – hope it is a great hair cut and maybe a surprise!

Moondoggz – I love larger portion, small calorie food - I seem to need a snack and am finding cherry tomatoes and dry Cheerios are working for me.. the multi-grain cheerios are 110 calories for a cup and if I eat them like you would a cracker… one here one later..they last a long time.

JB – can I move to your house? I will help garden and can!!!

Avalisa - I visit everyday, and keep a word document going to keep notes in so I can reply

Joyce – great new profile pic, was that at the restaurant? Love the freezer labeling!!!

Lesley – thanks for the info on you…I had to get a google map up to get my bearings on what was where in Australia. How long of a boat/ferry/plane ride is it to Tasmania from Australia?

So today was going to be a garden in my yard day, but a neighbor asked me if I wanted any fruit from his trees a plum and an apricot -- So a picking I went!!! and then made a batch of apricot jam it is a low sugar one, made 8 1/2pints and only put 1/2 of a cup of sugar in the whole batch! Also made apricot mustard, and still have TONS of cots left will do BBQ sauce, and probably dry some.

Love my new gelato recipe, I made raspberry and blueberry - and did it will non-fat milk...I have not put it in recipe builder - but will...
    Had a nice BBQ across the street, tritip, corn on the cob, potato salad and gelato...I tasted everything and enjoyed myself!

well it is late and I need my sleep
    Today’s step count: 17,658
    Kim from N. California
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; not much time this morning, so just wishing everyone a good day!
    (Joyce: lovely photo!)

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Good morning from a DAMP Hampshire UK! :drinker:
    Had a reasonable amount of rain last night. Great relief. The downside of the rain is the slugs will be out in force. Oh, the gardening life!

Kim - we have stewed fruit every night, often apricots, which can be frozen cooked or uncooked for stewing. DH cooks them with very little sugar and a sachet of Stevia. Served with my home made yoghourt. We now have our freezers full of our home grown gooseberries and blackcurrants. DH is going to cook apples and blackcurrants for tonight's dessert.
    Water butts are the large plastic containers attached to the drainpipes that store rain water. We have four. Two in the front near the veg garden, one on the side and a small one at the back for the patio pots. In a dry period they do run out, but it is surprising how long they last. Even though we have had a long dry period the side one still had water in it, but it's quite a long haul to the veg beds, through the side gate. Burns off calories!

Joyce - your photo is lovely. You must be very proud.:flowerforyou: I identify with your astonishment at your own image. For me it is amazement at how fit I am compared to two years ago. Of course I like the way I look in clothes as well.:blushing: Not quite so pleased with the naked me, but I have to keep reminding myself that I am 64!:laugh: And I agree with you that it is great that we have a place where we can come and talk about our lifestyle fixations and not bore our family and friends!:laugh: :wink:
    At the WI meeting the other day, almost everyone was bigger than me and most of them are younger. They were all tucking in to lemon curd ice cream and scones, cream and strawberries. I had none.:drinker: I had a tiny plastic cup of Pimms which I had allowed for. I think our perception of size has just got completely distorted these days. Even in this comparatively wealthy area of the country people are much larger than they used to be. Our health service is issuing warnings that we won't be able to pay for all the problems associated with weight. It is costing a fortune.
    But I don't go on about all this in company as I want to keep my friends! :tongue:

Lesley - so nice to hear all about you. Feel I know you now!:flowerforyou:
    DH's brother arrived in Australia in 1976, met a local girl and stayed. He lives in Adelaide. We went out for 6 weeks for our honeymoon. Visited Sidney and Melbourne as well and drove The Great Ocean Road. DH'S uncle went out as a £10 pom in the 50s and lived in Tasmania for many years. He now lives in Adelaide in his 90s with a very new wife!:laugh: Tasmania is high on my bucket list. So glad to hear you got your mobility back. Sounds like you had a lot of determination.:flowerforyou: Also sounds like you had a very interesting job. I had breast cancer in 2007 with lumpectomy, intraoperative radiotherapy and lymph gland removal, chemotherapy and Tamoxifen and Arimidex. So far, cross fingers, I am clear. The only reminder is a small, lumpy scar and I have to wear a lymphodema sleeve. I am so grateful for all the advances of modern medicine. My friend, who discovered a secondary at the same time as I found my primary is still alive and relatively well with two tumours. I am grateful for every day that life gives me.:flowerforyou: :love: :drinker: :heart:

Hair appointment today. Roots and trim. Bit of shopping in our charming local high street. DH is going to cook tonight's meal. Lamb neck fillet with flageolets. One of our standards. Otherwise he is pretty much MIA upstairs watching the World Cup. I have so fsr resisted the call of the fridge.:laugh:

Well done all those of you who are eating sensibly at parties. Kudos to you!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: I hope, when you are refusing the cheesecake, that you can hear us cheering in the background!

Lots of love from Heather in Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    today is the last full day with the girls, so hopefully taking them to the beach.. though it is only 65 and breezy out, feels more like fall, weatherman says it should get up to 83 at the shore so we shall see.. will start by getting stuff together for a picnic...dont have alot left after 10 days with teens.... so will have to improvise.. dont want to spend any more money... going to make a turkey breast for tonight...
    well ta ta for now will check in later...