Must-Read INFO on Metabolism, Gaining and Losing

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You know what........ I think the phrases "metabolic damage" and "damaging the metabolism" and its relatives like "wrecked my metabolism" and the like need to be challenged.

Yes I'm being pedantic. But dieting will never wreck your metabolism. Adaptive thermogenesis is real, but it's not your metabolism being wrecked, it's your metabolism doing what it's been shaped by millions of years of evolution to do... i.e. slow down a little to conserve resources in a food shortage. It's not wrecked, damaged or broken... it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's working just fine. It's just that it's working in a way that's optimal for surviving famines, not in a way that's optimal for having big muscles and a low body fat percentage.

I'll tell you what does wreck your metabolism though... cyanide. Cyanide ions mess with enzymes in your mitochondria, and that causes cellular respiration to come to a standstill, and if that's going on in enough of your mitochondria, you die. Cyanide really does wreck your metabolism.

Yep, I agree that these terms create a lot of confusion. I was answering a question with regards to iron deficiency which might impact cellular respiration (along with anemia) and liver level lipase and thinking that this was much more reversible via diet than something like essential hypothyroidism (another, less "cyano" drastic metabolic damage).

I've got "Non-LBM related AT" just doesn't sound as snappy as "my metabolism is so wrecked it's pooping pink twinkies."

Yes, I'm 16...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If I did a 150 calorie deficit, it would take me 15 years to reach my goal :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

And this assumes that your logging and TDEE estimates are so spot on that you can actually maintain a 150 calorie deficit every day. I hope the OP tells us how to make sure we do that, otherwise I'll never lose any weight.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    You know what........ I think the phrases "metabolic damage" and "damaging the metabolism" and its relatives like "wrecked my metabolism" and the like need to be challenged.

Yes I'm being pedantic. But dieting will never wreck your metabolism. Adaptive thermogenesis is real, but it's not your metabolism being wrecked, it's your metabolism doing what it's been shaped by millions of years of evolution to do... i.e. slow down a little to conserve resources in a food shortage. It's not wrecked, damaged or broken... it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It's working just fine. It's just that it's working in a way that's optimal for surviving famines, not in a way that's optimal for having big muscles and a low body fat percentage.

I'll tell you what does wreck your metabolism though... cyanide. Cyanide ions mess with enzymes in your mitochondria, and that causes cellular respiration to come to a standstill, and if that's going on in enough of your mitochondria, you die. Cyanide really does wreck your metabolism.

If we're going to be changing gen pop terminology can I add in a few of my own?

It's not a shark attack, it's a shark investigation. If the shark was trying to eat your leg, trust me, your leg would be GONE.

It's not a starfish, it's a seastar, because it's not a damn fish.

Man, that feels better! :drinker:

George is with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKdvTecYAM

That's because George is awesome.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    You have no idea what all your fish-talk does for me.

office-space-drew-o-face-o-1.gif

(It's an O-Face gif from Office Space. I'm getting better at remembering you can't always see them.)

LOL, of course this one I actually can see.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    , sincerely. :flowerforyou:
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    So out.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

And this assumes that your logging and TDEE estimates are so spot on that you can actually maintain a 150 calorie deficit every day. I hope the OP tells us how to make sure we do that, otherwise I'll never lose any weight.

Actually, at the start of my weight loss I maintained a 1500 calorie deficit successfully (yes I was that heavy) to get myself out of class III obesity danger zone with diabetes creeping up. I then maintained successfully for a few months, and now I'm losing successfully on a 500-750 deficit. No "metabolic damage" to speak of after a year and a half of toying with high deficit numbers. I do believe adaptation exists, but I doubt it plays a significant role in obese individual. Even in thin individuals metabolism does not come to a halt or to the point where 800 calories cause weight gain in an individual of normal weight (unless other hormonal issues are involved).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Actually, at the start of my weight loss I maintained a 1500 calorie deficit successfully (yes I was that heavy) to get myself out of class III obesity danger zone with diabetes creeping up. I then maintained successfully for a few months, and now I'm losing successfully on a 500-750 deficit. No "metabolic damage" to speak of after a year and a half of toying with high deficit numbers. I do believe adaptation exists, but I doubt it plays a significant role in obese individual. Even in thin individuals metabolism does not come to a halt or to the point where 800 calories cause weight gain in an individual of normal weight (unless other hormonal issues are involved).

My sarcasm font must be broken again.

/sarcasm.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

My sarcasm font must be broken again.

/sarcasm.

Oh I got your sarcasm! I was just elaborating
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    your uneducated
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love multilayered humor.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I hesitated at "Must-Read INFO..." and then stopped reading at "I am here to tell you..."
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    All these feeeeeelins being expressed

I love it

Look at the heat that erupted

You gotta admit my catchy first post

I am going to Bed Now, but when I return, I hope I have at least 2 more friend requests, and double the posts
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I love it

I am going to Bed Now, but when I return, I hope I have at least 2 more friend requests, and double the posts

So to be clear.... you're invoking the "I WAS JUST TROLLIN U GUYZZZ AND YOU FELL FOR IT HAHA" defense?

I am disappoint.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I love it

Everybody got to have a plan
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

I love it

Of course you were trolling op.

Of course you were.

<head nodding.gif>
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Oh, this looks fun.

^this

Oh so in for what is certain to be an entertaining six pages.

Can't wait to learn more about EZ's "16 year old uneducated broscience crap". LiterallyLedOL
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I love it

For the love of Pete, why is "bed" and "now" capitalized??? I must know the answer to this question, but I know it will go unanswered.
This discussion has been closed.