• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Keep talking!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    kpwright89 wrote: »
    Too many times I see people hate themselves into losing weight, and they do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to get to their goal as fast as possible... and too many times I see them on the side of the road with their head between their knees... broken because they feel like they've failed.

This was and still sometimes is me.. sometimes the hardest fight is with ourselves

*nods*

Clearly the 11 people who flagged the OP hate themselves.

I hope it gets better for them.

*nod nod*
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    gangnam-style-santa-claus.gif

Bump we joyous for the newbies
    Fa la la la la, la la la la
    Heedless of the flagging groupies
    Fa la la, la la la, la la la
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    gangnam-style-santa-claus.gif

Bump we joyous for the newbies
    Fa la la la la, la la la la
    Heedless of the flagging groupies
    Fa la la, la la la, la la la

Haha!

Log we now, food for tomorrow
    Fa la la la la la, la la la
    Oh how 1200 gives us sorrow
    Fa la la la la, la LA LA LAAAAA
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" last night and while I am all for less ultra processed foods and more fruits and vegetables, see a 60 day juice fast as an example of #1 - people saw Joe lose 10 pounds per week and want to get those riches fast too.

As a further connection to #1, my understanding is that in the subsequent six years, Phil regained the weight and Joe has been up and down.
  • Iggiepop
    Iggiepop Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO, SO MUCH for your post. I desperately needed to read it. I was looking for motivation when I came across it.
    In the last 6 months I've lost 33 pounds and felt great...then Christmas season arrived!!! I've tries so hard to stay on course, but gained 3 pounds and feel depressed about that.
    But your post just helps me to focus again and remember that working on your 'riches' sometimes has a few losses on the way.
    Thank you so much for a sober and real approach to weight loss. I only have 10 more pounds to lose but I am encouraged and motivated to carry on and not to give up.
    Many blessings to you.
  • Iggiepop
    Iggiepop Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO, SO MUCH for your post. I desperately needed to read it. I was looking for motivation when I came across it.
    In the last 6 months I've lost 33 pounds and felt great...then Christmas season arrived!!! I've tries so hard to stay on course, but gained 3 pounds and feel depressed about that.
    But your post just helps me to focus again and remember that working on your 'riches' sometimes has a few losses on the way.
    Thank you so much for a sober and real approach to weight loss. I only have 10 more pounds to lose but I am encouraged and motivated to carry on and not to give up.
    Many blessings to you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ni1q0xf0YA1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

bump
  • MireyGal76
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Iggiepop wrote: »
    Many blessings to you.

Thank you so very much for this post! It made my day! ❤
  • massaoli
    massaoli Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    What if you had to choose between the following:

OPTION 1) Get rich quick, but spend all the money and be poor again, just as quickly - possibly even poorer than you started

or

OPTION 2) Take some time, earn your wealth, and learn how to preserve it.

Which would you pick?

It seems pretty obvious to me, which option is better. I want a lasting wealth... even if it means I have to work for it. I don't want a flash in the pan that disappears in a heartbeat - potentially leaving me scarred in the process... I want something sustainable. Something lasting. Something I can pass on to my kids after I am gone.

And yet - so many topics on this site are focused on helping people achieve OPTION 1... some VLCDs, cleanses, fad diets, starvation and the like - abound a plenty.

So many people seem to think that they'll be the exception to the rule - that they'll lose weight super fast, turn into this low fat, ripped, amazing sexy creature, and keep that body for EVERRRRR.... and yet they don't learn the proper tools to preserve the wealth they achieve (if they even achieve it in the first place!)

And it's kinda ridiculous.

Take this thread as an encouragement - you didn't gain weight overnight...
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOSE IT OVERNIGHT!

I challenge you to ALLOW YOURSELF...
    - GRACE to lose weight slowly. Adjust your timelines to allow yourself time to change the way you approach food.
    - ROOM to make mistakes... no one can do this perfectly! You will have days where you feel like you have failed. It is OK. Just keep trying.
    - FREEDOM to have those foods you feel you cannot live without. Find a way to fit an occasional treat into your life
    - PERMISSION to love yourself as you are, knowing that you are working towards being healthier.
    - REALISM... set realistic goals for what you want to look like... recognize your body type and see what thinner versions of those body types look like. (If you have a massive chest, you likely won't look like Kate Hudson when you lose your weight!)

Too many times I see people hate themselves into losing weight, and they do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to get to their goal as fast as possible... and too many times I see them on the side of the road with their head between their knees... broken because they feel like they've failed.

Train for your marathon... you don't have to run it the first time you lace up your shoes...

Great advice, nice read. Encouraging.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I'm great at losing quickly but this time am trying a slower approach so that I can build the coping mechanisms that will get me through both the ups, and downs, of life without turning to food and/or alcohol. This holiday season was tough and eye opening practice. Maintenance is really where it's at for many people, and so many of us lose, only to regain plus some. Your comments were spot on.
  • MireyGal76
    Options
    Thank you, @MireyGal76! You're truly an amazing writer. This post deserves to go viral!

Thank you so very much!!
  • Bshankari917
    Bshankari917 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agree <3:*
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    great post, so true if only everyone realised this when they start their weightloss journey
  • leslie4ever
    leslie4ever Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I want to loose weight but I lack motivation
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is such a fantastic post, and I can't tell you how much I needed it right now.

I was consistent for 6.5 months, lost 62 lbs, and then I fell off the wagon and in a span of 3 months regained 20 lbs. I just got back on track mid-February (down 15 lbs now, still so far to go) and I'm trying to get back the perspective I had at the start of my journey. I've been so focused on losing weight as quickly as possible to "make up" for the weight I would have lost if I'd just kept on track, and that's really not a good mindset to have. I need to stop obsessing over where I was and where I could have been, and focus instead on where I'm going.

So thank you muchly!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This post is right on point :+1: ...Not to crap on anyone but you see the "success stories" of ppl losing 10-15-20lbs per month and it just always makes me think then what? I did it...All the fad diets, cleanses, starving myself, diet pills, crap and garbage :heartbreak: ...Finally I just took it slow and decided to believe in the process..Calories In/Calories Out, stick to approx. 1-2lbs per week loss.... Bottom line, slow and steady wins the race and the process works!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post!
  • alexanderevans39
    alexanderevans39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Even though you have to accept this won't happen overnight. You have to push your body towards overcompensation to get better. Patience and Personal Power are virtues
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That was awesome!!! High five