vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options
I know that that sounds stupid but I wish someone would open a gym where you have to be at least 25 pounds overweight to join. I go to a pretty nice one and overall people are pretty nice but when you are currently proud that you know you are exercising because your stomach fat has separated into two distinct groups working out next to Joe Meat head and Trophy wife wearing too much perfume and too little clothing can just make you feel less good about being there.

I know, I know, I am being silly and I should just ignore distractions like this but am I alone? Does anyone else feel just a little more insecure working out amongst the already insanely fit?

Replies

• sgos16
    sgos16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    But what happens when you lose the 25 pounds? Would you have to find a new gym? I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with the idea.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No, i like the skinny people. I want to be one of them one day and it's nice to see the same people every week. Make friends, work hard.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you care about anyone else at the gym. You are there for yourself, right? What difference does it make how anyone else looks?
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    They are skinny because they work out consistently. A gym that only has overweight people would eventually lose all it's customers. Not a good business model.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You're being silly.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    That's really rude.
    Just sayin'

A smart person would use them as motivation, or ask for advice.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Le sigh.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Um, how do you think they got skinny???
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    lolololol
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    why don't u read the text in your profile pic.....only you allow can allow this.....it's not them, it's in your mind......let it go
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    So, someone else's appearance makes you feel bad? Wow that is kinda sad
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Can you try Planet Fitness? I think they're a gym that is almost exactly what you're looking for. Plus I heard it's cheap.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You know you're right, people without 25 pounds or more to lose are judgmental jerks. Nobody with weight to lose has the ability to be a jerk.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I just don't know what to say to this. Really, I don't.
  • gardengirl40
    gardengirl40 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not a gym girl myself, I enjoy it more when I exercise outside. Hmm, I really don't think too much about anyone else when I'm exercising though, for every insecurity in your head you can bet they've got their own.

All you ever have to do is feel proud you got off the sofa and are working hard. And if anyone else has a negative opinion, sod 'em!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Every time you see one of them....... just remember, most of the skinny people in your gym used to be fat. They kept going to the gym, so now they're skinny. And it's just a matter of time until you're also a skinny gym person that used to be fat... all you have to do is stick at it.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You are being silly. Of all the multitude of complaints you can make about a gym (check out a Planet Fitness thread for kicks and giggles), too many skinny people would not be one of them. Suck it up, buttercup.
  • chetvr
    chetvr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Sound familiar? It's the quote from your profile pic.