vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    They sat there talking about their new wood floors and what they were going to do with their day now that the baby is in school, how they were going to teach yoga class and what kind of new huge suburban type thing they were going to get. I was noticed when I entered and was then treated like I was invisible... non existent... or something to disgust because I wasn't like them. I wasn't skinny like them. I wasn't fiscally well to do like them. I wast vegan like them. I wasn't (fill in the blank) like them. This is the world we live in. It sucks.

Holy projection, batman!
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm still 200 lbs, but I've lost 40lbs. and I'm so happy with that and so confident about it, no one makes me feel bad about myself anymore. I guess it's just a mental place you have to get to.

I love this response. thank you for your kindness
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    bottom line is I don't know why so many of you are getting so upset over a girl with insecurities. and all I said was that being overweight is definitely less accepted than being a normal weight is, therefore the insecurity will be at a higher level. i personally have been judged by said 'trophy wives' and 'meatheads' when i was running on a treadmill at almost 300 pounds. I've encountered people similar to those types on this forum as well. what makes them trophy wives and meatheads is NOT their body. its their mentality and attitude. so not every single person who is fit is gonna be one of those types. I've met plenty of MFP vets that have treated me with respect and others that have made me feel like a complete idiot for asking questions. i mean come on people really? the girl is obviously insecure and its ridiculous that some of you are trying to compare the stigma attached to being overweight to the stigma of being at a normal weight. everything about being at a normal weight is more favorable. better health, more energy, more confidence. its like saying "straight people get made fun of too" when talking about gay rights. whether anyone agrees or not, society has built a certain set of standards and at the time, its hard for people to ignore what society says and focus on themselves. but if we work together we can help each other realize that it really is whats inside that matters. i don't want to come off negatively but i just find it unfair the way OP is being slammed. saying 'i know it sounds stupid' and things of that nature clearly imply that shes not trying to state any hard facts or pass serious judgement

How about you look past the words those people who make you feel like an idiot use?

no, because there is no reason for people to act the way they do on here sometimes. I've asked before 'what are your favorite tips and tricks for newbies losing weight?" im not even a newbie, i just wanted to know what everyones favorite advice was and i got responses like 'get up off your *kitten* and move.' like really? and most of the people who tell me that are super fit and almost seem angry that they have to work so hard or something like i don't get it

And there was no reason for the op to call people meatheads or trophy wives and yet you sympathize with her. Why is it you can interpret people's words a certain way and be offended but when the OP flat out calls people names people are being unfair to call her on it?

Help me understand

because some people are nice. some are mean. some are tall, some are short. some are judgemental and some aren't. and in this case, fit girls and guys that have a different mentality since losing weight and treat overweight people differently are considered 'meatheads' and 'trophy wives.' NOT AL FIT PEOPLE. regardless. who here is coming off in a negative way? the OP, who clearly said 'i know this sounds stupid but this is how i feel' or all the other people on here who are just looking for something to attack
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    bottom line is I don't know why so many of you are getting so upset over a girl with insecurities. and all I said was that being overweight is definitely less accepted than being a normal weight is, therefore the insecurity will be at a higher level. i personally have been judged by said 'trophy wives' and 'meatheads' when i was running on a treadmill at almost 300 pounds. I've encountered people similar to those types on this forum as well. what makes them trophy wives and meatheads is NOT their body. its their mentality and attitude. so not every single person who is fit is gonna be one of those types. I've met plenty of MFP vets that have treated me with respect and others that have made me feel like a complete idiot for asking questions. i mean come on people really? the girl is obviously insecure and its ridiculous that some of you are trying to compare the stigma attached to being overweight to the stigma of being at a normal weight. everything about being at a normal weight is more favorable. better health, more energy, more confidence. its like saying "straight people get made fun of too" when talking about gay rights. whether anyone agrees or not, society has built a certain set of standards and at the time, its hard for people to ignore what society says and focus on themselves. but if we work together we can help each other realize that it really is whats inside that matters. i don't want to come off negatively but i just find it unfair the way OP is being slammed. saying 'i know it sounds stupid' and things of that nature clearly imply that shes not trying to state any hard facts or pass serious judgement

How about you look past the words those people who make you feel like an idiot use?

no, because there is no reason for people to act the way they do on here sometimes. I've asked before 'what are your favorite tips and tricks for newbies losing weight?" im not even a newbie, i just wanted to know what everyones favorite advice was and i got responses like 'get up off your *kitten* and move.' like really? and most of the people who tell me that are super fit and almost seem angry that they have to work so hard or something like i don't get it

And there was no reason for the op to call people meatheads or trophy wives and yet you sympathize with her. Why is it you can interpret people's words a certain way and be offended but when the OP flat out calls people names people are being unfair to call her on it?

Help me understand

because some people are nice. some are mean. some are tall, some are short. some are judgemental and some aren't. and in this case, fit girls and guys that have a different mentality since losing weight and treat overweight people differently are considered 'meatheads' and 'trophy wives.' NOT AL FIT PEOPLE. regardless. who here is coming off in a negative way? the OP, who clearly said 'i know this sounds stupid but this is how i feel' or all the other people on here who are just looking for something to attack

Except OP said these people were nice to her, then called them that...
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    the crime here is that ANYONE is looking at an overweight person and judging. but when a fat person is judging a skinny one, do you think its from a cruel place? or one of jealousy? and when a skinny person is judging a fat one. is that out of cruelty or jealousy?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Help me understand

This is awfully analogous to many justifications of slurs I've heard. Well, I don't mean all _____, just those ______ ______.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym and focus on you. Turn on some good music and tune out every other person there. You don't know what anyone else's story is. You don't know how that "trophy wife" or "meathead" used to be, maybe they used to be 400 lbs and worked their *kitten* off to get to the point where they are now. Don't be so judgmental about other people.

I'd also add that you don't know who that "trophy wife" or "meathead" is. Many people simply do not like being labeled.

Exactly. I forgot to add that in my original post.. too many thoughts going through my head at once!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Help me understand

Wow. Are you a mind reader? Where did the op say anything about people's mentalities? I read something about trophy wives and how they wear too little clothing and too much perfume but nothing about how thise women treat her.

Sounds to me like the OP defined trophy wife by appearance and attire, not mentality. Did I miss something? Or are you applying your circumstances to someone else?

I think the OP came off awfully. People who take issue with body shaming? Not so awful
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    the crime here is that ANYONE is looking at an overweight person and judging. but when a fat person is judging a skinny one, do you think its from a cruel place? or one of jealousy? and when a skinny person is judging a fat one. is that out of cruelty or jealousy?

Ummm...didn't you say you were going on your merry way?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I label both awful people.

I'm equal opportunity like that
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    i thought maybe i could make a difference but i guess not
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

I label both awful people.

I'm equal opportunity like that

i can agree with that logic
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of Sensitive Sallys. Build a bridge and get over it.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options

lrj65ax

Where did you get that idea? Almost everyone has talked about how it's wrong to body shame.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Are you actually trying to justify slurs used by someone jealous?
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    i mean can we really say that body shaming is an equal two way street though. like do we think skinny/fit people are made fun of just as much as overweight people are. not that any of it is okay. I'm just sayin
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

Are you actually trying to justify slurs used by someone jealous?

no just read what i wrote
  • yesterdayusaid2morrow
    Options
    OP: Most people in the gym have had an experience similar to yours. Even if it's someone lifting just five more pounds or running a few seconds faster than you, at some point, they've looked around, seen what someone else was doing, and said "THAT is where I want to be" or "that person is better than me in [insert topic area, here]...". No matter where you are or what you're doing, there's likely someone who does it better or has achieved more success than you have at this point.

The humor is slighly twisted, adult-oriented, and might not be to your taste, but this comic puts it pretty well: (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gym). The bottom line, though, is that everyone in the gym has an area they wish they were better in. The weightlifter may want to lift as much as his / her friend or role model does. That "trophy wife" may be feeling that she wishes she could feel comfortable with her body and less like she's competing with her friends and their fitness habits. Who knows?

The difference is in how people deal with these kinds of observations. Some will tune it out and not care about what others are doing, turning their focus on their own performance. Others will use it as motivation and say "if this person can do it, then so can I if I choose to and put in the work".

Your apparent mindset from this post is very close to taking the approach of turnign other's success or other's situations and turining it into intimidation. You are making yourself uncomfortable on account of the fact that these people aren't like you or what you would consider to be worse than you. They aren't doing their thing to make you feel badly about yourself, but you are letting their current situation impact your feelings.

And that's not good.

It's not fair to you, because it robs you of your right to be working on reaching your goals as well as your ability to be proud of your own accomplishments. I have the potential to do this every day. I'm in the military, everybody aroudn me is running, running, running, and clocking 8, 7, or even 6 minute miles. Meanwhile, my great achievement was covering a mile in less than 16 minutes, this morning. Sure, I could beat myself up about not being fast like them. But I don't, because I know where I've been, I know that I should have been dead 5 years ago, I know that my body has been through experiences they will never have, and I know that, all things considered, I'm doing very well.

It's also not fair to them. It makes them into the antagonists of YOUR gym experience. Unless they're actually mocking you, they aren't there to make you feel bad about what you've done. They're there to work out. In fact, they may be cheering you on in their minds because they may be remembering what it was when they started on their path to their current condition. Maybe both "Joe Meathead" and "Trophy wife" ALSO were at a point in their life where they counted the fact that their "stomach fat has separated into two distinct groups" as a reason to be proud.
    Let's build people up.. not tear them down.

I agree in general, but sometimes you need to break something down to help it be built up stronger and more resilient than it was before.

Like I said, we're all able to look around and see someone we feel inferior to in some regard. But responding to that observation with the I wish someone would oepn a gym where you have to be at least 25 pounds overweight to join" mindset only serves to promote jealousy and resentment because the individual will only be happy when the rest of the world is down at their level and that's never going to happen because someone's always going to be faster, be able to file their taxes on their own, be better at remembering things, etc.

Are the OP's feelings wrong or bad? No. Any one of us can feel insecure for any reason. But the OP will do well to put the brakes on this current train of thought and re-direct it down a path that is either neutral (learning to ignore these other people when thinking about herself), or constructive (turning it into something motivational).

^Smart man. Thank you for saving me time by taking the time to write this out. I've felt as you are feeling OP, still do at times. It's human, it's okay...but recognize that you can practice reminding yourself that it's only your mind building it up as an issue. Remind yourself that you have value JUST AS YOU ARE, that your health is more important than feeling like the hottest person at the gym, that others are likley not judgding you as often as you suppose, and even if you live in the shallowest corner of SoCal, other people's opinions of us are quite simply none of our business. :) Muah! Feel better about yourself girl, you're not at all alone in feeling like this, even those you call "trophy wives" have their own insecurities to bear.

YES, let's build one another UP not tear down! :)<3
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are being overly harsh. This person just wants to vent.

As a person with asthma, I would have confronted "Trophy Wife" and asked her not to wear perfumes at the gym because it can cause allergic reactions in other patrons, and it's not necessary to smell good there; the gym already smells like sweat so nobody is going to notice if she has body odor--but perfume is either toxic to or a distraction for others.

There are some gyms that are more about being a hook-up joint than working out. You don't want to be at *that* gym anyway. But if you are in a normal gym, people are there to get a job done. They come in, they do their workout routine, and they leave. Small-talk will happen as people wait between sets or set up for classes, but everyone is really focused on their own agenda, not your appearance.

At my gym I have sometimes been glared at or hovered over intimidatingly for being female while free-weight lifting. But any comments on my weight have all been encouragements to continue working out. I've never had someone in a gym comment on my appearance in a way that was not supportive of my being there.

It's okay to be a little annoyed that they look so hot, to be a little jealous, but you need to direct that energy in a way that supports your goals. Don't be intimidated. Try to be inspired.

Unless an individual is a jerk to you. Then you have to chalk it up to that person's insecurity, and tell them to foist off and leave you alone--you have work to do.
    ^This. ALL of this. :smile: