vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with building people up instead of knocking them down. it goes back to the simple fact that in society today, being overweight is looked down upon and being fit is praised, accepted and desired. as we all know, weight loss is a slow and steady process so no matter how healthy we might be, people will still assume we stuff our faces with pizza and live on the couch just because we're overweight. there aren't too many negative connotations with fit bodies, but definitely a lot more with overweight bodies. I don't think OP was trying to say that she doesn't like skinny people or something. I know how I still feel when I'm working out around a bunch of fit people. it definitely does take awhile to regain confidence in yourself after years of feeling a certain way. it takes a lot to be overweight and make the choice to get up and go to the gym. it takes a lot for anyone to get up and go to the gym!! lets all just be nice and understanding when it comes to things like this I mean really

Really? Because there are an awful lot of posts on this site alone about how gross skinny people can be, muscles are gross and manly, etc. It happens quite regularly. It is far more accepted, as seen in this thread, than saying negative things about overweight people.
    I've seen (and heard in real life) comments about being vain in relation to fit people or that people starve themselves, are "hangry", use steroids, etc etc etc.

I do agree that being overweight does carry more of a negative stigma, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there aren't too many negative connotations of being fit. I don't think it is acceptable on either side.

Yes, the overweight are a protected class on MFP but the thin (trophy wives) or the fit (meat heads) can be attacked at will.

I disagree. i think on mfp in general people do not like body shaming full stop. you will see in my post that i believe the op has worded this badly, but i dont understand the need to keep blasting her.

^get thicker skin ppl that look like me- we get all the ladies, all the glory and all the winks, the best jobs, the most respect in real life - let the overweight be a protected class, and keep getting
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the constructive, mean and supportive feedback--it was all delightful and I guess stirred up some feelings. . Look I know--I know that my feeling here is not rational or even nice in some ways. Better a bunch of random people I don't know tell me what I already know--I am being an irrational idiot--than to avoid the gym because I lock this feeling up inside. It is indeed very true when we polk fun at others we are really showing our own insecurities and I recognize that is exactly what I was doing. Wherever you have been in a weight loss, weight gain or even sports fitness regime I bet you can relate just a little--even if you won't admit on a post.

The good news from all this harshness is that my in box is full with people who can relate to my own insecurities just like mine who might not have been so nervy to post this.

Do you also recognize that you shouldn't use derogatory names when describing the people at your gym?

It's ok, though! It was "nervy", and it earned her some like-minded friends, so it was all worth it!

You're right. She was just 'ranting' so she was free to say anything offensive that she liked because... rant...

hmmm

I just want a list of those people so I can make sure none of them are on my FL.

I've got a real low body shaming jerk tolerance and anyone who thinks using 'meathead' or 'trophy wife' is 'nervy' is no friend of mine.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with building people up instead of knocking them down. it goes back to the simple fact that in society today, being overweight is looked down upon and being fit is praised, accepted and desired. as we all know, weight loss is a slow and steady process so no matter how healthy we might be, people will still assume we stuff our faces with pizza and live on the couch just because we're overweight. there aren't too many negative connotations with fit bodies, but definitely a lot more with overweight bodies. I don't think OP was trying to say that she doesn't like skinny people or something. I know how I still feel when I'm working out around a bunch of fit people. it definitely does take awhile to regain confidence in yourself after years of feeling a certain way. it takes a lot to be overweight and make the choice to get up and go to the gym. it takes a lot for anyone to get up and go to the gym!! lets all just be nice and understanding when it comes to things like this I mean really

Really? Because there are an awful lot of posts on this site alone about how gross skinny people can be, muscles are gross and manly, etc. It happens quite regularly. It is far more accepted, as seen in this thread, than saying negative things about overweight people.
    I've seen (and heard in real life) comments about being vain in relation to fit people or that people starve themselves, are "hangry", use steroids, etc etc etc.

I do agree that being overweight does carry more of a negative stigma, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there aren't too many negative connotations of being fit. I don't think it is acceptable on either side.

Yes, the overweight are a protected class on MFP but the thin (trophy wives) or the fit (meat heads) can be attacked at will.

I disagree. i think on mfp in general people do not like body shaming full stop. you will see in my post that i believe the op has worded this badly, but i dont understand the need to keep blasting her.

Maybe because in her most current response to this thread, she took no responsibility for her body shaming comments and, in fact, was proud of her 'nervy' post that garnered her some new friends.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    BAH:angry:

Saying that fit people intimidate you is one thing.

Calling someone a trophy wife implies that she has no redeeming qualities other than her looks.

It is offensive.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I know that that sounds stupid but I wish someone would open a gym where you have to be at least 25 pounds overweight to join. I go to a pretty nice one and overall people are pretty nice but when you are currently proud that you know you are exercising because your stomach fat has separated into two distinct groups working out next to Joe Meat head and Trophy wife wearing too much perfume and too little clothing can just make you feel less good about being there.

I know, I know, I am being silly and I should just ignore distractions like this but am I alone? Does anyone else feel just a little more insecure working out amongst the already insanely fit?
    Not trying to offend, but if its not okay for a thin person to tell a heavy person to stop hogging the machines and let a fit person have them, than its not okay to wish away a thin person because you don't like the way you look.

Why not join Curves if your are uncomfortable with fit people working out?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the constructive, mean and supportive feedback--it was all delightful and I guess stirred up some feelings. . Look I know--I know that my feeling here is not rational or even nice in some ways. Better a bunch of random people I don't know tell me what I already know--I am being an irrational idiot--than to avoid the gym because I lock this feeling up inside. It is indeed very true when we polk fun at others we are really showing our own insecurities and I recognize that is exactly what I was doing. Wherever you have been in a weight loss, weight gain or even sports fitness regime I bet you can relate just a little--even if you won't admit on a post.

The good news from all this harshness is that my in box is full with people who can relate to my own insecurities just like mine who might not have been so nervy to post this.

Do you also recognize that you shouldn't use derogatory names when describing the people at your gym?

It's ok, though! It was "nervy", and it earned her some like-minded friends, so it was all worth it!

job done then.

You seem to be struggling with the concept of sarcasm and the recognition of its application.

if you say so.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

You're right. She was just 'ranting' so she was free to say anything offensive that she liked because... rant...

hmmm

I just want a list of those people so I can make sure none of them are on my FL.

I've got a real low body shaming jerk tolerance and anyone who thinks using 'meathead' or 'trophy wife' is 'nervy' is no friend of mine.

:wink: I wouldn't be so sensitive - this is ppl over the internet - you certainly get positive attention looking like that in the real world
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Most people have replied to the OP once. Those who have come back continued a discussion with other people in the thread, not the OP. As long as the post stays in the recent topics, you will continue to have new people comment on the post as it is new to them.

Like I said earlier, many of the people here who objected to the OP's remarks would be the same people objecting to a similar post about overweight people. Bodyshaming isn't tolerated by the majority here, but there is definitely a difference between what is ok to be acceptable to be said about overweight people and what is acceptable to be said about "fit" people (I hate the phrase "fit shaming").
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Wait, the good news is that you surrounded yourself with people full of insecurities - how is that a strategy to improve?

It's a serious question. I'd like to understand if this will somehow help some people.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Calling someone a trophy wife implies that she has no redeeming qualities other than her looks.

It is offensive.

^i don't get this - 'trophy wife' should be a badge worn with honor. - youth and beauty are fleeting ppl.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I know that that sounds stupid but I wish someone would open a gym where you have to be at least 25 pounds overweight to join. I go to a pretty nice one and overall people are pretty nice but when you are currently proud that you know you are exercising because your stomach fat has separated into two distinct groups working out next to Joe Meat head and Trophy wife wearing too much perfume and too little clothing can just make you feel less good about being there.

I know, I know, I am being silly and I should just ignore distractions like this but am I alone? Does anyone else feel just a little more insecure working out amongst the already insanely fit?

I think what you are looking for is "CURVES"
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    2njd7ys.gif
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I can understand the fact that you may feel inferior or put off by those carrying less weight, I totally used to feel like that before joining David Lloyd (sorry for the plug). The trainers there are so hands on with everyone, and there are all different ages and body types working out that you just feel like part of a group of people striving for the same thing.

However, now sometimes I get excited by the fact that I run faster or longer than some people who are skinnier than me. I love that I will swim 40 laps of the pool while watching those I percieve fitter come and go.

Remember they are your goals and your dreams and no one should make you feel bad. I am pretty sure your post was just venting as it said in the title and that you were in fact asking to be supported and encouraged to keep going and doing what you are doing.

Feel free to add me :smile: Keep on with your journey, make it a positive one.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

It is offensive.

^i don't get this - 'trophy wife' should be a badge worn with honor. - youth and beauty are fleeting ppl.
    It diminishes a person's value to their external appearance, without recognition for their hard work or intelligence.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

It is offensive.

You don't get a lot. It is an incredibly offensive term.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    What if a lot of the "skinny" people at the gym that you go to were once overweight themselves? People go to the gym & exercise to get healthy & remain some kind of level of fitness.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...before the roll.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Super fit people at the gym motivate me. Check your jealousy at the door.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

hmmm

:wink: I wouldn't be so sensitive - this is ppl over the internet - you certainly get positive attention looking like that in the real world

I don't abide body shaming IRL or on the internet. I choose to remain 'sensitive'.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

It is offensive.

Then you don't understand the concept of being a trophy wife. It's not about being young and attractive. It's about their only worth being their youth and beauty, the only reason that their husband married them was because they looked good.