vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you all think she's being rude, most of your are being rude right back! Talk about hypocrites. If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Jeesh, just be the bigger person if you think she was being so rude and ignore the post.

I'm sorry OP for all the comments. It's not like you were being malicious or anything. Everyone just needs to give it a rest and move on.

So. I'm supposed to be nice to people who basically think people who look like me don't belong at her gym?
    Why is that the insulted party is always the one obligated to be nice?

Again, did the OP say that? I haven't read all the replies so perhaps she did later, but she certainly did NOT say that in her first post.

TOPIC: vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

If this doesn't mean 'I want less skinny people at the gym.' that what, exactly, does it mean to you? There are too many skinny people at the gym, but that's Aok? Too many of them, but I don't mind?

Enlighten me Obi-Wan, for clearly I have misunderstood.

First of all, thanks for calling me Obi-Wan :love:

So you think you are a skinny trophy wife and took the remarks personally. Got that. But I don't see where the OP said you didn't belong at the gym. She said she was uncomfortable working out next to you. For the life of me I can't imagine why.

seriously?

I'm neither skinny- nor a trophy wife- so I do not think of myself as such and I took that stuff personally you know why? BECAUSE IT"S EFFING OFFENSIVE.

Secondly she says it write in her first post
    "gym where you must be a LEAST 25 pounds over weight"

I'm making a new gym
    no fatties allowed- body fat percentage 15% or less
    AND OR
    you must have triple digits lifts- nothing less than a 200 pound over head press to get in
    slackers- fatties injured- weak- and new need not apply.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Heh, the skinny people at my gym you can count on one hand. The vast majority are white haired or bald and lugging their O2 tanks behind them. At 350 lbs I was not even "the fat one". I've got to say it feels wonderful not to the odd one out.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't want people to judge you so don't judge them.

One of the guys at my former gym also worked where I do (we knew each other to say hi in the elevator). He ran marathons for fun and has no body fat. I kinda wanted to try spinning but was intimidated and he was in the class. It came up once and he encouraged me to try and was really supportive and not judgmental at all. Many people in the spinning class who were in amazing shape were helpful and encouraging. Because of my job I can't go to that gym any more but if that changes I would go back in a minute.

Some of the skinny people won't be nice but many are...just like everyone else.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I love a good forum discussion, everyone gets to finish with exactly the same opinions they started with, but a little bit more determined about them.

Not so. I started thinking the OP was silly, but the more I think about it the more I think she's just a jerk.

That's a shift in opinion.

Not only this, but there are apparently many, many more white knights jumping to defend OP's piss-poor attitude and terrible word choice than I could have possible imagined.

oh lets just burn her at the stake for a badly written post.

I don't have a problem with that.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    If you all think she's being rude, most of your are being rude right back! Talk about hypocrites. If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Jeesh, just be the bigger person if you think she was being so rude and ignore the post.

I'm sorry OP for all the comments. It's not like you were being malicious or anything. Everyone just needs to give it a rest and move on.

So. I'm supposed to be nice to people who basically think people who look like me don't belong at her gym?

Again, did the OP say that? I haven't read all the replies so perhaps she did later, but she certainly did NOT say that in her first post.

If this doesn't mean 'I want less skinny people at the gym.' that what, exactly, does it mean to you? There are too many skinny people at the gym, but that's Aok? Too many of them, but I don't mind?

So you think you are a skinny trophy wife and took the remarks personally. Got that. But I don't see where the OP said you didn't belong at the gym. She said she was uncomfortable working out next to you. For the life of me I can't imagine why.

seriously?

I'm neither skinny- nor a trophy wife- so I do not think of myself as such and I took that stuff personally you know why? BECAUSE IT"S EFFING OFFENSIVE.

I'm making a new gym
    AND OR
    you must have triple digits lifts- nothing less than a 200 pound over head press to get in

lol. are you seriously offended. thats quite funny.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

So. If I go 'There are too many white people at my gym' (seriously, the damn place is full of them!) that doesn't imply I don't think they should be there/don't want them there?

Well. If that's how you feel then there is nothing more to say because I'm genuinely incapable of possibly understanding you.

Good day.

and to top it off you would say...

"I think we should have a gym where you have to have at least 25% African-American in your heritage to be able to join."

1349110594814.gif

What the what? She did not say anything even NEAR to anything like that. I am firmly convinced you are just making things up in your head now to prolong this back-and-forth. There is no way anyone could pull that out of what she said. Stop causing trouble for no reason. :noway:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

seriously?

I'm making a new gym
    AND OR

I was actually considering a troll topic post with this lol
  • rubierosiiie
    Options
    thought id check out this thread after seeing it in "recent forum topics"... wow
    tiger-woods-pga-tour-10-feel-the-drama.jpg
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with building people up instead of knocking them down. it goes back to the simple fact that in society today, being overweight is looked down upon and being fit is praised, accepted and desired. as we all know, weight loss is a slow and steady process so no matter how healthy we might be, people will still assume we stuff our faces with pizza and live on the couch just because we're overweight. there aren't too many negative connotations with fit bodies, but definitely a lot more with overweight bodies. I don't think OP was trying to say that she doesn't like skinny people or something. I know how I still feel when I'm working out around a bunch of fit people. it definitely does take awhile to regain confidence in yourself after years of feeling a certain way. it takes a lot to be overweight and make the choice to get up and go to the gym. it takes a lot for anyone to get up and go to the gym!! lets all just be nice and understanding when it comes to things like this I mean really
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Haha, I always wanted to be one of those skinny trophy wives at the gym.. and what do you know, almost 70lbs later and I am!

They have just as much a right to be there as the people who are overweight. Some of them, like myself, were there from the beginning. Starting out overweight in sweatpants and a baggy shirt, then slowly building confidence, losing weight, and then being able to proudly wear spandex shorts and a sports bra is (in my opinion) part of the journey. ;)
  • jayme252014
    Options
    Thank you all for the constructive, mean and supportive feedback--it was all delightful and I guess stirred up some feelings. . Look I know--I know that my feeling here is not rational or even nice in some ways. Better a bunch of random people I don't know tell me what I already know--I am being an irrational idiot--than to avoid the gym because I lock this feeling up inside. It is indeed very true when we polk fun at others we are really showing our own insecurities and I recognize that is exactly what I was doing. Wherever you have been in a weight loss, weight gain or even sports fitness regime I bet you can relate just a little--even if you won't admit on a post.

The good news from all this harshness is that my in box is full with people who can relate to my own insecurities just like mine who might not have been so nervy to post this.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    ok, so i only got through one page of those replies to this post - and my goodness. some people take other peoples thoughts far too seriously!

i totally get what you mean OP, and i know that your 'fat people gym' idea was a joke of sorts. i like it - and im with you.
    i was just at the gym last week before a yogalaties class, and the cardio class that was finishing up had this girl in it.. holy crow her body was amazing! like really, what was she even doing there?? she doesnt need the cardio, I need the cardio!

it would be awesome to have a gym where there are zero judgments, and people just straight up support each other. i think - well, i hope - that most gyms really are like that once you open up a little. i plan on actually joining the gym later this year (i was on a trial pass, i work out at home) and i look forward to being a support (maybe an inspiration?) to other gym goers.

But the only person passing judgement was the OP.

This! Why don't the people defending the OP see this? How did the use of derogatory stereotypes not get noticed by them?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I love a good forum discussion, everyone gets to finish with exactly the same opinions they started with, but a little bit more determined about them.

Not so. I started thinking the OP was silly, but the more I think about it the more I think she's just a jerk.

Not only this, but there are apparently many, many more white knights jumping to defend OP's piss-poor attitude and terrible word choice than I could have possible imagined.

Naw, I'd rather burn her for her judgement, jealousy, body-shaming, name-calling and general sour attitude. :flowerforyou:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Most people are at the gym for the same reason - to improve themselves in some way. If they're skinny, it doesn't necessarily mean they're fit. They might want to tone up, or run faster, or gain some muscles.

I was slim and fit last year, and I was chatting to a girl at Zumba class, and she said she wondered why I was there as I was thin. I'd started off at 220lbs after my 2nd baby, only she didn't see me then. So you never know where people were to begin with.

I've just had my third baby and have some weight to lose, and I feel huge now in comparison to some people at the gym and in classes, but I just get on with it. Hopefully this time next year I'll be back to my slim and fit self, but I won't get there without exercise!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lol. are you seriously offended. thats quite funny.

not as annoyed as I get with people who say women with make up at the gym are slores and don't' work out and are there only to look good. That *kitten* annoys the piss out of me.

But yes- this does wrankle me.

I suspect people saying ha ha ha fat people at the gym annoy me would get hammered.
    It doesn't matter if I took it personally or not- the fact of the matter is OP is flat wrong- and it's offensive- stop trying to play gas lighting and own it. it's offensive.

and back to the other part- grow up.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the constructive, mean and supportive feedback--it was all delightful and I guess stirred up some feelings. . Look I know--I know that my feeling here is not rational or even nice in some ways. Better a bunch of random people I don't know tell me what I already know--I am being an irrational idiot--than to avoid the gym because I lock this feeling up inside. It is indeed very true when we polk fun at others we are really showing our own insecurities and I recognize that is exactly what I was doing. Wherever you have been in a weight loss, weight gain or even sports fitness regime I bet you can relate just a little--even if you won't admit on a post.

The good news from all this harshness is that my in box is full with people who can relate to my own insecurities just like mine who might not have been so nervy to post this.

Do you also recognize that you shouldn't use derogatory names when describing the people at your gym?
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Every gym has their own culture and atmosphere. Even the time of day people come to work out sometimes brings different demographics of people. (I used to get my *kitten* kicked by these little old ladies swimming at the pool at 5am) I think Planet Fitness and Curves for women are good for people that aren't comfortable with certain aspects of gym culture. At the end of the day, most people at the gym are just human beings trying to take care of themselves and most of us don't get hung up at anyone else no matter what they weigh.

I've been a regular gym goer for over 20 years now. In my experience and in commonplace discussion about it online, I find an overwhelming number of people that are insecure about their weight or whether or not someone at the gym will pick on them. And that's understandable. Yet more often than not, for every rude remark dished out to heavy person, there are plenty of rude remarks and judgment directed towards so-called "skinny bimbos" "meatheads" "jocks" or "Barbies" -- and none of it is cool.

Going to a gym can make you fit, but judgmental attitudes aren't attractive.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Naw, I'd rather burn her for her judgement, jealousy, body-shaming, name-calling and general sour attitude. :flowerforyou:

would u feel better then?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    ok, so i only got through one page of those replies to this post - and my goodness. some people take other peoples thoughts far too seriously!

i totally get what you mean OP, and i know that your 'fat people gym' idea was a joke of sorts. i like it - and im with you.
    i was just at the gym last week before a yogalaties class, and the cardio class that was finishing up had this girl in it.. holy crow her body was amazing! like really, what was she even doing there?? she doesnt need the cardio, I need the cardio!

it would be awesome to have a gym where there are zero judgments, and people just straight up support each other. i think - well, i hope - that most gyms really are like that once you open up a little. i plan on actually joining the gym later this year (i was on a trial pass, i work out at home) and i look forward to being a support (maybe an inspiration?) to other gym goers.
    That's what most of us are saying... Reread the original post... It is full of judgment against the people OP doesn't want to see there. Right down to the "trophy wife" not wearing enough clothes for OP's taste.

The difference between OP and the people she's talking about is most likely that they aren't looking at her and calling her names in their heads and wishing she weren't there. They're just working out.

I was self-conscious when I first went to the gym too. I looked around and compared myself to other people. Can't say I ever wished them away, though... If anything, I watched to see what people were doing that I might try in order to improve my own results. I quickly learned that my way of working out wasn't the only way, and I got better workouts as a result.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Suck it up buttercup and use it as motivation.

At times I look at some of the overweight ones and go " geez they got some work to do" and then I walk over, say high, and give them a high five! Motivate yourself through others and someday do the same for them! I am no where near skinny, but someday I will be.