vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    If you all think she's being rude, most of your are being rude right back! Talk about hypocrites. If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Jeesh, just be the bigger person if you think she was being so rude and ignore the post.

I'm sorry OP for all the comments. It's not like you were being malicious or anything. Everyone just needs to give it a rest and move on.

So. I'm supposed to be nice to people who basically think people who look like me don't belong at her gym?
    Why is that the insulted party is always the one obligated to be nice?

Again, did the OP say that? I haven't read all the replies so perhaps she did later, but she certainly did NOT say that in her first post.

TOPIC: vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

If this doesn't mean 'I want less skinny people at the gym.' that what, exactly, does it mean to you? There are too many skinny people at the gym, but that's Aok? Too many of them, but I don't mind?

Enlighten me Obi-Wan, for clearly I have misunderstood.

First of all, thanks for calling me Obi-Wan :love:

So you think you are a skinny trophy wife and took the remarks personally. Got that. But I don't see where the OP said you didn't belong at the gym. She said she was uncomfortable working out next to you. For the life of me I can't imagine why.

So. If I go 'There are too many white people at my gym' (seriously, the damn place is full of them!) that doesn't imply I don't think they should be there/don't want them there?

Well. If that's how you feel then there is nothing more to say because I'm genuinely incapable of possibly understanding you.

Good day.

and to top it off you would say...

"I think we should have a gym where you have to have at least 25% African-American in your heritage to be able to join."
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I think it's my new goal to be so dang fit, hot and awesome that it makes someone angry.

Seriously...I would be a little flattered.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I love a good forum discussion, everyone gets to finish with exactly the same opinions they started with, but a little bit more determined about them.

Not so. I started thinking the OP was silly, but the more I think about it the more I think she's just a jerk.

That's a shift in opinion.

why? its not like she has said anything further from her first post
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you all think she's being rude, most of your are being rude right back! Talk about hypocrites. If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Jeesh, just be the bigger person if you think she was being so rude and ignore the post.

I'm sorry OP for all the comments. It's not like you were being malicious or anything. Everyone just needs to give it a rest and move on.

So. I'm supposed to be nice to people who basically think people who look like me don't belong at her gym?
    Why is that the insulted party is always the one obligated to be nice?

Again, did the OP say that? I haven't read all the replies so perhaps she did later, but she certainly did NOT say that in her first post.

TOPIC: vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

If this doesn't mean 'I want less skinny people at the gym.' that what, exactly, does it mean to you? There are too many skinny people at the gym, but that's Aok? Too many of them, but I don't mind?

Enlighten me Obi-Wan, for clearly I have misunderstood.

First of all, thanks for calling me Obi-Wan :love:

So you think you are a skinny trophy wife and took the remarks personally. Got that. But I don't see where the OP said you didn't belong at the gym. She said she was uncomfortable working out next to you. For the life of me I can't imagine why.

So. If I go 'There are too many white people at my gym' (seriously, the damn place is full of them!) that doesn't imply I don't think they should be there/don't want them there?

Well. If that's how you feel then there is nothing more to say because I'm genuinely incapable of possibly understanding you.

Good day.

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Too many skinny people?
    Not after I walk in. The average BMI changes dramatically.
    Yes, I am often self conscious at the gym.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I felt like that for about 6 months..... THEN one day I looked up from my Work Out and noticed that all eyes were on THIS GYPSY!!!! :laugh:

SUDDENLY I REALIZED I WAS NOW EYE CANDY FOR A FEW PEOPLE!

Keep on hitting that REPEAT BUTTON......

Keep doing what ya got to do...

Your SUDDENLY moment is coming!

I even walk differently... because I feel sooooo EXCELLENT.....

When you shed enough dead weight you breathe differently, better, and you tend to have this amazing awareness of self.

People want you to sit.... and you'd rather STAND!!!

People was you to take the elevator.... and you fall in love with the stairs!

People want you to be invisible.... and you say WAIT..... I'VE BEEN INVISIBLE ALL MY LIFE!

PEOPLE WANT YOU TO DRESS LIKE YOU'RE IN THE MORGUE.... AND YOU HAVE TO LOOK ALIVE!!!!!!!

I say let it all gooooooooooooooooooo........

We're never going to be 100% HAPPY!

However, it helps to know the outside shell doesn't really matter that much.:grumble:

From the second we arrive WE ARE DYING.... This world is NOT our Home.

When we embrace our own personal Journey, and live and let live.... we get away from the valley of Vanity and ascend to the Peaks of pleasure in Christ Jesus.

We then see that our inner man & woman are the only worthwhile part of us. If we work towards a clear, PEACEFUL, happy refreshed inner spirit.... the outer shell will transform, mutate, and re-invent itself little by little until we look like Christ.

This Journey is an opportunity to do just that.... and have company along the way!:flowerforyou:

OH HAPPY DAY!

3739957.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love a good forum discussion, everyone gets to finish with exactly the same opinions they started with, but a little bit more determined about them.

Not so. I started thinking the OP was silly, but the more I think about it the more I think she's just a jerk.

Good point. Mob mentality perhaps?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    But what happens when you lose the 25 pounds? Would you have to find a new gym? I get what you're saying, I just don't agree with the idea.

First reply and perfect. Maybe the "skinny" people (who probably aren't) weren't "skinny" when they joined and in order for them to remain "skinny" they have to attend the gym.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    YOU are responsible for how fat you are.
    JUST like the skinny people are skinny because of the choices THEY'VE made.
    they have every right to work out at ANY gym they please to maintain that body.

what, skinny people can't go to the same gym as fat people now?
    what's next, ban skinny people from eating at public restaurants, because they make fat people feel sad?
    Or have a Fat People Only Swim at public pools so the skinny folks don't make the overweight ones feel self conscious?

see the logic here?

My workplace went to this extreme. Those of us that had a "treat" bowl on our desks had to remove them because someone complained that the bowls put too much stress on her trying to lose weight! So since she didn't have the willpower to not stick her hand in someone else's candy bowl, no one could have any! I love this "It's all about me" society we have now.

This situation makes me :explode:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

*points up*
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I kind of know what OP means. The gym I currently go to is a YMCA, so we have people of all shapes and sizes, as well as ages. I feel very comfortable there. But when I first got married and had no kids, my husband and I belonged to a high-end gym, the kind of place where I felt like I needed a great gym wardrobe and had to put make-up on before I worked out. It was also quite a pickup place. I could see how someone of "ordinary" appearance could be intimidated there.

That being said, I go to the gym now at different times because I have a different schedule on MW and TRF, so sometimes I might be there in the morning, or sometimes at night, and I often see the same people at both times -- mornings and evenings. I know most gyms have morning people and evening exercise people. So, I started to think, "What's wrong with these people. They must be exercise fanatics because they're here all the time!" And here I am, at the gym at the same time they are!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Or the original post was so ignorant that nothing further needs to be said perhaps?
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

Or the original post was so ignorant that nothing further needs to be said perhaps?
    she might be waiting until she grows taller perhaps?
  • gardengirl40
    gardengirl40 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    :
    Too many skinny people?
    Not after I walk in. The average BMI changes dramatically.
    Yes, I am often self conscious at the gym.

:laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

So, just a slow learner? It took that person a while to realize it was ignorant and thus change her opinion?
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options

That is something incredible right there... the ability of other people, to get me more irritated with the OP... bravo!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    Out of anyone on this entire thread, heck, maybe even the entire site, the poster you are referring to would get my vote to be the person to be least swayed by mob mentality.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    So, just a slow learner? It took that person a while to realize it was ignorant and thus change her opinion?

Ever do a double take?
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This may be the most baffling comment I've read all week. And that is saying something.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Does it matter? Or just trying to do subtle digs?