vent--There are too many skinny people at the gym

Options

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are insecure but everyone has a right to be there. Just stick your headphones on and do what you came to do and then get the hell out of there.

Or you could just stay at home and work out. That way when you lose 25lbs you'll be one of the people in the gym people like you are complaining about lol.

Not gonna jump down your throat- I get where you're coming from, I understand that they make you feel bad about yourself, but honestly, it's your problem, and those folks have worked hard to get where they are. And if you stay focused on yourself you'll get there too.
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    oh-please.gif
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I know that that sounds stupid but I wish someone would open a gym where you have to be at least 25 pounds overweight to join. I go to a pretty nice one and overall people are pretty nice but when you are currently proud that you know you are exercising because your stomach fat has separated into two distinct groups working out next to Joe Meat head and Trophy wife wearing too much perfume and too little clothing can just make you feel less good about being there.

I know, I know, I am being silly and I should just ignore distractions like this but am I alone? Does anyone else feel just a little more insecure working out amongst the already insanely fit?

Maybe you think that people are as judgmental about your physical state as you obviously are of them. Not everyone assigns negative stereotype labels to people they see around them like 'Joe Meat head', 'Trophy wife' or 'Fatty Fatty Boombalatty'.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    You're 40. Time to be an adult.

Age doesnt have anything to do with this at all.

You're right, it doesn't. Let me break it down in more simplistic terms for those who lack in the area of internet comprehension.

"Grow up"

Do you mean grow taller?

precisely.

i am internet challenged, how is that going to help?
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Why the *kitten* have we not already burned this person at the stake?! Seriously?!? This special snowflake needs to stoned for scorning the skinny people! Someone start digging the hole...
  • KelseyBee2014
    KelseyBee2014 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you all think she's being rude, most of your are being rude right back! Talk about hypocrites. If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Jeesh, just be the bigger person if you think she was being so rude and ignore the post.

I'm sorry OP for all the comments. It's not like you were being malicious or anything. Everyone just needs to give it a rest and move on.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Instead of judging and allowing your own insecurities to take over, try being friendly to these folks and maybe even speaking to some of them. If they're fit and in shape, they obviously know what they're doing and you never know, you may just make a friend or two who can help keep you motivated in the right direction.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Give her a break people, learning to feel differently about yourself is part of the process!:smile:

I understand feeling badly about oneself--I started out going to a gym when I was 50 pounds overweight. However, no one at my gym ever made fun of me, called me fat, or hassled me. I received nothing but kindness and support--and some great advice from both women and men. (and no, I don't belong to a gym that caters to any particular "type" of person--there is a wide variety of body types at my gym.)

30 pounds down, I still struggle with how I feel about myself and my body image...but I'm certainly not calling men with bodybuilder physiques "Joe Meathead" or assuming that every skinny perfume-wearing woman at the gym is a trophy wife. How would the OP feel if those people made fun of her for not being fit? Pot, meet kettle.

In my humble opinion, treating oneself AND others (particularly strangers, of whom you probably know NOTHING other than their physical appearance) with respect and kindness will take a person much further than stereotyping. A positive attitude can really help with motivation to get fit, strong, and healthy.

To the OP: I wish you success in your quest for better health. Please keep in mind that just because someone is "skinny" doesn't mean they are not insecure or dealing with low self-esteem, or that they deserve to be made into some kind of stereotype.
  • Therealobi1
    Options
    Okay, please just ignore everyone calling you bitter and jealous and rude. Clearly the idea of opening a gym for overweight people is absurd, but how you feel is totally normal. As someone said earlier, changing you attitude comes with changing your body. You're not going to feel awesome overnight, and the thought of it can sometimes make it difficult to watch people who are very fit around you!

Just try to stay positive! Make friends with people at the gym if that's your thing - they are almost always full of tips and success stories of their own.

And the middle finger to all the people on this thread who aren't understanding at all. This is a long, difficult journey that sometimes comes with weird/negative thoughts... Don't let them deter you.

agreed its unfortunate how the post was worded thats all.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You're right, it doesn't. Let me break it down in more simplistic terms for those who lack in the area of internet comprehension.

"Grow up"

Do you mean grow taller?

precisely.

Maybe you'll grow tall enough to see on the same level of view as us adults? ;)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I understand the insecurity. Unfortunately, by posting this you are going to receive an enormous amount of unsympathetic, snarky and probably rude replies from those who have already determined you are an inferior "special snowflake." I hope not though.

Move to the midwest.

My gym, OH GOD, I mean my "fitness center" is inhabited by weeble wobbles. We all get along fine.

Oh yeah, Planet Fitness is my GYM! That's right... I said it.
  • Therealobi1
    Options

"Grow up"

Do you mean grow taller?

precisely.

Maybe you'll grow tall enough to see on the same level of view as us adults? ;)

no thank you
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I don't think you were being rude at all, like basically everyone above me seems to think. I'm sure there are tons of people who think that way as well and just won't admit it like you did. You weren't being rude, just stating an insecurity. I know how it is, you feel that all the skinny people are judging you, but I can't almost promise you that most of them aren't. I thought that way too... until I became really good friends with a super skinny model like girl and my whole idea of skinny and super beautiful people judging me all the time began to change. There are probably a lot of people there who admire you for working towards something, and maybe some of them were where you were once upon a time.

Luckily, the gym that I go to has a really good mix of people. I go the last hour to hour and a half before they close and I see old retired people, I see young people, I see fit people and not so fit people (me being one of those!), so I don't feel as my gym is all full of super fit people like you.

Maybe try talking to them (I haven't conquered the idea of talking to anyone at the gym before, but I guess it's pretty common??) and you'll learn that you aren't being judged all the time?

Good luck! Sorry for all the rude comments before, it wasn't fair of them when you were just stating an insecurity and concern.

So it is not rude to refer to people as "Joe Meathead" and "trophy wife"?

I am pretty sure that a lot of us can relate to the insecurity, I know I can. I just don't agree with the insulting others part.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Okay, please just ignore everyone calling you bitter and jealous and rude. Clearly the idea of opening a gym for overweight people is absurd, but how you feel is totally normal. As someone said earlier, changing you attitude comes with changing your body. You're not going to feel awesome overnight, and the thought of it can sometimes make it difficult to watch people who are very fit around you!

Just try to stay positive! Make friends with people at the gym if that's your thing - they are almost always full of tips and success stories of their own.

And the middle finger to all the people on this thread who aren't understanding at all. This is a long, difficult journey that sometimes comes with weird/negative thoughts... Don't let them deter you.

Wait wait.. the rest of us are being weird and negative but the OP is what...being full of sunshine, rainbows and unicorn farts????

Just...

tumblr_m8bpshGEPp1rs4exg.gif
  • bethanimal4
    bethanimal4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    this is ridiculous. body shaming goes BOTH ways, and they both serve no purpose other than to distort people's body image.
  • leah_motz
    leah_motz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I secretly watch the skinny people or people who's bodies I envy for tips and tricks. If a see a girl with a body type like mine and the body I want I'll watch to see what exercises she's doing and try to match her moves or intensity. Think of it as cheap personal training :) I try to use super fit people for encouragement.

And when I see people bigger than I am working out, I personally always think "good for them for being here" so don't feel like people are judging you. If they're like me, they're probably holding back from high-fiving you on the treadmill!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You know you're right, people without 25 pounds or more to lose are judgmental jerks. Nobody with weight to lose has the ability to be a jerk.

When did the OP say anyone was being a jerk?? :huh: She said she felt uncomfortable and she knew it was just her being silly.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    this is ridiculous. body shaming goes BOTH ways, and they both serve no purpose other than to distort people's body image.

This.