Body shaming at its absolute worst... thoughts please.

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I went to the beach today and saw all kinds of people. Thin, obese, in shape, not in shape etc. Everyone was having a great time. Women of all sizes in 1 and in 2 piece suits. They appeared to be comfortable with how they were presenting themselves. Now I may have my opinion on what I thought of each but that doesn't matter. What matters is how they feel about how they look. I have no right to tell people what to wear regardless of what I think.

Impossible.

You should have told each of them about the MFP forums where they could properly learn how they are supposed to feel about themselves.
    That was an option but I was highly outnumbered. I could have ended up tying itt from my hospital bed. Plus I was kind of busy eating sour patch kids and BBQ chips.

You made the right call.

I wouldn't exactly say the "right" call. I mean, BBQ chips?
    Oh yea. So good!!!
    t1xtroZ.jpg?1

Apparently ketchup chips are not a thing in the states??? And if you want to have ketchup chips you literally need to put ketchup on your chips... what's that about??

And I've also recently learned that not everyone knows about all dressed... I don't know if they're available and just not celebrated the way they should be or if this is another thing that isn't available in the States... but honestly, if they're there, go try some.

Not hating on BBQ, but honestly, there are better options out there.
    Sorry, no ketchup on my chips. Pass.

There might be better options for you but remember, those are the chips I wanted because I like them. And that's what's important, what I like, not you, because I'm eating them.

Have you tried either? When speaking of different options... how do you know unless you've had them?

At any rate, makes no difference. Time for me to hit the beach in my 2 piece.

Take THAT snarky author of trashy Brit tabloid.
  • YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, people wear what they WANT?! And they don't apologise for their fatness and force your poor eyes to look? Christ almighty what a *****. ***** needs to worry about herself and realize that other people aren't here to decorate her world.

they need to care about themselves, dress appropriately and present their best to the world.
    As I said, other people are not here to decorate your world. Spending time commenting on the appearance of others and dictating to others what to and not to wear is time wasted.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Seriously, if you have not figured out the world I feel sorry for you. Try getting a job rolling in for an interview with rolls and cellulite hanging out. Looks matter.

I love my obese friends, does not mean I enjoy it when they let it all hang out. Dress appropriate for your age/size/build.

Say it with me. Other people, are not here, to decorate YOUR WORLD!! What other grown adults choose to do or not do is none of your concern. I'm well aware not to show up for a job interview wearing a bikini or skimpy clothes, do you really think anyone is that stupid? I know how the world works, and your condescension is really not appreciated. I never said anything about "the children" so I don't know what the heck you're talking about there. Regardless, grown adults can do whatever the hell they want, providing they're not breaking the law.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Seriously, if you have not figured out the world I feel sorry for you. Try getting a job rolling in for an interview with rolls and cellulite hanging out. Looks matter.

I love my obese friends, does not mean I enjoy it when they let it all hang out. Dress appropriate for your age/size/build.

Say it with me. Other people, are not here, to decorate YOUR WORLD!! What other grown adults choose to do or not do is none of your concern. I'm well aware not to show up for a job interview wearing a bikini or skimpy clothes, do you really think anyone is that stupid? I know how the world works, and your condescension is really not appreciated. I never said anything about "the children" so I don't know what the heck you're talking about there. Regardless, grown adults can do whatever the hell they want, providing they're not breaking the law.

Not saying I agree with the other poster at all... but as a recruiter, I'm sad to say that not everyone knows how to show up for an interview. I can't tell you how many times women have come in with their bras showing or men in shorts.

It's especially getting worse as people get younger. READ: YOUNGER, not fatter. The Younger ones, regardless of size, seem to be losing grip with appropriate attire for an interview. Unfortunately, people are that stupid :(
  • Phanntom
    Phanntom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Shame may not work with everyone, but for whatever the number is that it does work on, it's worth using. It wouldn't have worked on me as I've never been one that paid a lot of attention to what others think about me.

I fail to see any evidence she was boosting her own ego by saying what she did, or how she said it.

For me even today...it's not about appearance....it's about living a healthier lifestyle. The weight loss will only be a byproduct of incorporating a healthier lifestyle.

Once you've taken a walk on the "other side", things in this world become much clearer. When I see a fat person today....I'm not seeing them as unattractive...I'm seeing them lying on a gurney in an ER and the world they've known disappearing from them and I'll do whatever I can tactfully or not, to get them on a different path.
  • Phoenixthesecond
    Options
    I haven't read past the first few pages so this is just an off the cuff post which may be a bit controversial.
    I would never say anything to an individual about their weight, I realise that the reasons people put on weight are complex but there are so many people who are over weight now.
    I am British but don't live in the UK , not far away though in France but there are far fewer people who appear overweight. When I return 'home' it is a shock.. After driving a few hours down the motorway ,crossing the Channel the shape of people seems to change. Actually, even on the ferry it is perfectly possible to distinguish between British and French school parties, from a distance because most French teenagers are very slim.
    In the summer, our local town gets a lot of tourists, if you see a group of people sitting out side the local café, if they are mostly overweight then it's easy to guess that they will be speaking English (occasionally Dutch).
    It also seems to me that every few shops sells some sort of ready to eat food and that when I go to a restaurant portion sizes are so large that I can barely eat one course where I can eat three or four here.
    I don't know if shaming is a good idea but the reason I'm on this site is that I have been too sedentary, eaten too much and don't want my weight to get any higher.I am nowhere near a UK size 18 . I have well controlled T1 diabetes and hypothyroid which can lead to weight gain . I could use both of these as an excuse for weight gain but I'd rather not ; so I'm watching calories and making sure that I exercise.
    People are worried that making young women conscious of their weight may lead to eating disorders but I wonder if not pointing out is condoning disordered (over) eating.