Fruit = sugar ... arghh!!

Options

Replies

• ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is NATURAL SUGAR and GOOD FOR YOU! :) Sugar cane and splenda etc are all empty calories.

Splenda doesn't have calories.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is NATURAL SUGAR and GOOD FOR YOU! :) Sugar cane and splenda etc are all empty calories.

tumblr_inline_n61al6LPd11spjyze.gif
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options

Though I admire the David Tennant .gif, I just-

http://www.splenda.com/products/granulated
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

+1 for cherries
    I just had some myself. They're so delicious and inexpensive right now. $1.88/lb today!

I so got ripped off. :sad:
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I don't know much about splenda, so thanks! But just saying. Fruits vs. your cane sugar....
  • YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    was in a trader joe's yesterday, and couldn't resist a few of the deals on fruit...got some cherries, some apricots, and some blueberries... at the counter I off had just noted, "wow, I got a lot of fruit"....the clerk, in response, said "a lot of sugar". This took me by surprise, but I just replied "oh, we're not going to start counting the sugar in fruit are we?" . She looked at me, and said dryly "YOU should" ( with an emphasis on the "You". Lol, she was a little overweight herself, and I am of course a bit over weight, but just WOW. I wanted to reply back that "it wasn't eating fruit that got you and me in this shape lady"

and that is still my thoughts...I actively try to get a few servings of fruit in my diet to keep me sane (plus...fruit!!). google doesn't solve this. even myfitnesspal counts the sugar as too high. so what I should just eat broccoli and chicken and water right? I guess that's what it means.

She was way out of line, and I am a bit shocked she would speak to a customer that way. I would have taken my money elsewhere. I really don't sweat fruit sugar, as it comes with fibre. Fruit juice is the main sugar pit fall that one should worry about with fruit.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You know what else insulin does? Helps trigger storage of fat.
    No it doesn't. Insulin drives glycogen production, shuttles nutrients (including glucose) into muscles and organs, and roughly 100 other regulatory functions. Fat storage is simply a matter of caloric surplus vs caloric deficit.

In a person with insulin resistance, insulin does cause fat storage.
    No it doesn't. That's not what insulin resistance is, or how it works.

Actually, that's absolutely how it works. It's funny you're trying to argue over it with someone who has insulin resistance. But whatever makes you sleep at night :flowerforyou:
    Sorry, but just because you have it, doesn't mean you understand it. Insulin resistance is when insulin receptors in cells no longer respond to insulin, for several reasons, including excess fatty acids in the blood stream physically blocking the receptors. This causes the insulin to shuttle the glucose it was carrying back to the liver, as it normally does when the cells reject glucose (in healthy people it means glucose reserves are full.) Nowhere there does insulin actually cause fat storage, as the liver will convert the excess glucose to glycogen. Then when liver glycogen is full, the liver will then create triglycerides out of any excess glucose, which will then be stored in adipose tissue. At that point, insulin is long out of the equation.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    You know what else insulin does? Helps trigger storage of fat.
    No it doesn't. Insulin drives glycogen production, shuttles nutrients (including glucose) into muscles and organs, and roughly 100 other regulatory functions. Fat storage is simply a matter of caloric surplus vs caloric deficit.

In a person with insulin resistance, insulin does cause fat storage.
    No it doesn't. That's not what insulin resistance is, or how it works.

Actually, that's absolutely how it works. It's funny you're trying to argue over it with someone who has insulin resistance. But whatever makes you sleep at night :flowerforyou:
    Sorry, but just because you have it, doesn't mean you understand it. Insulin resistance is when insulin receptors in cells no longer respond to insulin, for several reasons, including excess fatty acids in the blood stream physically blocking the receptors. This causes the insulin to shuttle the glucose it was carrying back to the liver, as it normally does when the cells reject glucose (in healthy people it means glucose reserves are full.) Nowhere there does insulin actually cause fat storage, as the liver will convert the excess glucose to glycogen. Then when liver glycogen is full, the liver will then create triglycerides out of any excess glucose, which will then be stored in adipose tissue. At that point, insulin is long out of the equation.

Insulin doesn't carry sugar. Insulin is a peptide that acts upon a receptor that sends a signal cascade through the cell that results in vesicles containing glucose transporters (GLUT) migrating to the cell membrane. I'm with you that the word insulin is thrown around far too much, though.

I was going to link some old notes I took back in college but this page explains insulin much better than my sloppy notes do. Everyone should be required to read it before they can use the word "insulin."

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/insulin.php

For those actually interested in the real peptide insulin instead of the fabled insulin that is thrown around so much, I encourage you to actually take some time and read it. There is a full section on how insulin resistance works.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Honestly I gave low-carb (Ketosis) a legitimate try recently.

I spent about 6 weeks at under 20 net carbs a day.

I was tired, sluggish (that energy boost everyone else gets, didn't happen), foggy minded, weak, constantly hungry, famished, hangry and emotional the entire time.

It was miserable.

And, I got sick, truly sick, and missed two days of work, for the first time in years.

20 net carbs is not enough for me to take in the fruit and veg level my body thrives on.

I've seen it do "miracles" for others, but my body doesn't jive with it's chemistry.

I went back to normal diet (which is still pretty low carb) but I've been really enjoying bananas, mangos, and sushi!

I love not caring less if I go over 20 carbs and my keto stick is clear than I feel sluggish for days because I just couldn't live without another serving of veg. That's kind of like intentionally dieting yourself into sickness.

Good luck!

Do what works for you.

PS I lost 0 weight in keto. I truly believe what I did lose was water weight because I started in the 180's, ended in the 180's, and I'm still in the 180's. Lots of suffering for 0 progress.

I'm doing Calories in - Calories Out right now and LOVING it. So nice to be able to eat whatever.

However, I do think it's a little silly to attribute your cold to a low carb diet.

I will say that I lost weight RAPIDLY on low carb. But I missed the food I'm enjoying now!

Actually, the "low carb flu" in the initial days or weeks of starting the diet is a fairly popular phenomenon. Just google it I'd suggest
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sweetie.... how can I put this.... you have lost 43lbs.... forty three pounds....
    If you've done that by eating fruit...
    Keep Eating The Fruit!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Counting sugar isn't even that important for some diabetics. I am diabetic (well controlled with a low dose of medication and there is a good chance I will be off that by the end of summer) and my doctor told me to ignore sugar and count total carbs only. I count fiber instead but she told me I can't count net carbs but must stick with total.

Eat your fruit if you like it and can fit it in with all of the other macro and micronutrients!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I don't know much about splenda, so thanks! But just saying. Fruits vs. your cane sugar....

^^ you are aware that sugar cane is a type of grass, right?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    These threads always deliver.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My extreme limiting of carbohydrates and sugar is going REALLY well for me, actually - thanks for asking.

My chronic acid reflux is gone. My insomnia is gone. My acne is gone. My hair and nails are stronger. My poor circulation is no longer a problem. I no longer want to take a nap halfway through the day.

Dietary sugar and carbs are not necessary for health. Your body can create the necessary blood glucose for bodily functions from dietary protein.

The human body would be a real piece of **** if it hadn't evolved a metabolic pathway for dealing with carbohydrate restriction. (Which, before agriculture, was about 85% of the year)

So you also think carbs are bad. Lets see, the Institute of Medicine suggests 130 grams of carbs a day to ensure proper brain function. There is no scientific evidence that a low carb diet is the answer. The reason you lose weight on a low carb diet is because it will also mean a low calorie diet, unless you eat a whole lot of fat. Have you stopped to think that all those improvements you talk about are because you now weigh less and has nothing to do with low sugars and carbs. You have bought into one of the most wide spread weight loss myths that exists.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I will never understand the religious fervor that some low-carb people try to whip up. If it works for you, fantastic. Go to town. But why do they feel compelled to try and convert everyone else?

Just as I do not understand why people jump in on newbies seeking advice for their newly adopted Keto WOE with "it's all about moderation not restriction!" and "unless you have diabetes, you should still eat carbs!"

Opinions run rampant on the message boards and I see them coming from ALL directions.

Oh boy, I just have to respond to this! Didn't the OP post seeking help? And isn't this a public bb?

Flabbergasted...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your bubbles up in here, but sugar is sugar.

Your body does not say "Oh, well THIS sugar came from an APPLE, so I'm going to treat it differently than if it had come from a CANDY BAR".

It's still sugar. It still rots your teeth. It still stimulates the production of insulin.

Fruit these days is absolutely ridiculous and has been bred over years and years to be more packed with sugar and less packed with fiber.

The only outliers in this tend to be berries. They have sugar, but are still primarily fiber, and can be eaten in moderation. If you're worried about your vitamins and minerals, eat more non-starchy vegetables.

Fruits are mostly useless, and are a common trigger for people to over consume because they think "Oh, it's FRUIT! It must be healthy!". But your body goes "Oh, it's SUGAR! Give me more SUGAR!" and pretty soon you're craving any ol' sweet thing.
    It's true that sugar is sugar, but you are way off in the rest of your assessment. While it may be true for you that sugar makes you crave more sugar, it's not true for everyone. And, sugar is not good or bad, it just is. Just like everything else, moderation is the key. I have fruit on my oatmeal every morning and a pear for my afternoon snack, I certainly don't crave more sugar throughout the day because of this. It's simply what I choose to eat.

I'm all for balance and moderation.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3894001

Most notably the part that reads: These experiments show that elevations in insulin produce increased hunger, heightened perceived pleasantness of sweet taste, and increased food intake.

You know what increases insulin levels? Eating simple sugars.

Guess what… protein increases insulin levels as well!!

Oh, and I'd like to see the full study. Not just the abstract :smile:

Same. I cannot comment based on an abstract written in 1985 without the full study. I want to see what they did to induce hyperinsulinemia and how they gaged the responses. I also want to know what controls were used etc.
    I also want a more recent peer reviewed study because 29 years ago was too long ago for newer studies not to have been done.
  • pjmkinder
    pjmkinder Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was close to hitting my goal in weight watchers and I just couldn't lose those last 5 lbs and was going on vacation and a leader just said you can eat fruit but it does have calories as well. Even tho it has 0 points plus it does have calories so I just watched the fruit intake and ate more veggies and i ost the weight and made my goal.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Meh, I tried low carb briefly, but it was unsustainable. Aside from the options available being highly restricted, I never got past the lethargy and fogginess which was a dangerous thing to be suffering from when driving in London.

Can't advise it. Seems silly.