Doesn't anybody dead lift?

Options

Replies

• eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    As an ex-military man and former DI ... I like to consider myself of the old school lifters.... Dead Lifts, cleans and farmer's walks.. etc... Thou i must admit i do stay away from Barbell sqwats because of a bad heel....

To add a little more: I have noticed since coming to Korea that certain exercises seem to come into fashion... like crunches or sqwats and people seem to do them all the time.... then all of a sudden it all changes... and a new exercise becomes all the rage.... and for the next few weeks you can't get near the leg press...... or smith machine.. if your life depended on it...:grumble:

--ms
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I do deadlifts.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I only recently started lifting heavy, but yes, I do deadlifts and I love them. So far, they are my favorite part of my lifting routine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Boo dude, as a newbie to weight training this has totally scared me. I love deadlifts!

I watched that entire video.

To paraphrase Billy Madison, "what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this post is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

WRONG! You mean this guy. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to is a powerlifting/strongman gym so LOTS of people DL squat and ohp/log press. Often you have to wait for a dl platform or squat rack if you go in the evenings!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Haven't you even watched one of those occupational safety videos at work? Lifting with your back is very bad and always leads to injury. You are supposed to bend your knees and lift with your legs. This is what squats are superior to deadlifts.

my mum used to work in health and safety (now retired).... she taught me the correct way to lift boxes and stuff when I was a kid... the form is the same as what's good form for deadlifts. If you're trying to lift the bar using your back when deadlifting then you're doing it wrong.
  • roxywho42
    roxywho42 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My gym is a small Anytime Fitness. I have never seen anyone other than me deadlift and I've only ever seen one other person squat outside of the smith machine, and only 2 or 3 squatting with it. The trainer even told me that I should use the Smith machine instead. It's sad, but I just hope that I'm not there at the same time as people who do.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My gym is a small Anytime Fitness. I have never seen anyone other than me deadlift and I've only ever seen one other person squat outside of the smith machine, and only 2 or 3 squatting with it. The trainer even told me that I should use the Smith machine instead. It's sad, but I just hope that I'm not there at the same time as people who do.

I didn't realize how much difference there was between gyms of the same brand. I go to an Anytime Fitness, and like half of the gym is super stoked because we just got a new power cage, two deadlift platforms, and new bumper plates. There are people doing oly lifts all the time. I had to wait for like 45 minutes (and the END of my back workout) to do deadlifts the other day because all of the oly bars were being used; deadlift, OHP, cleans - you name it, we have people doing it (yes, that includes the dudebros doing curls in the squat rack).
  • dbmata
    Options
    Haven't you even watched one of those occupational safety videos at work? Lifting with your back is very bad and always leads to injury. You are supposed to bend your knees and lift with your legs. This is what squats are superior to deadlifts.

Bro, do you even lift?
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Deadlifting is my favorriitteeeee. It didn't use to be though. I top out my biggest lift at 235 now, and I only weigh125 pounds. Working my way to 2x body weight!

BUT it is extremely scary to see people attempt them at the gym that don't know what they're doing. Maybe that's why people shy away from them.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I live in St. Louis. Deadlifts and provel are two of my favorite things.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

my mum used to work in health and safety (now retired).... she taught me the correct way to lift boxes and stuff when I was a kid... the form is the same as what's good form for deadlifts. If you're trying to lift the bar using your back when deadlifting then you're doing it wrong.

You clearly don't understand what I am telling you. I am referring to the deadlifts with the stiff legs and your butt sticking up in the air.

There is such a thing as Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, you know. If you're not totally inept you can perform the movement without injury.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

You clearly don't understand what I am telling you. I am referring to the deadlifts with the stiff legs and your butt sticking up in the air.

There is such a thing as Stiff-Legged Deadlifts, you know. If you're not totally inept you can perform the movement without injury.

^I do a stiff-legged deadlift
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Bro, do you even lift?

Tell me, how many back injuries have you sustained recently?
    None, because I use proper form on my Romanian and American deadlifts?
  • dbmata
    Options

Bro, do you even lift?

Tell me, how many back injuries have you sustained recently?

None. That even includes self arrest training and practice for alpine climbing. That's brutal, and should hurt the back of anyone who doesn't deadlift.

More lifting, less talking for you.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    My gym is at work so I'm usually there alone, so at that time 100% of the people deadlift. :smile: When there are others there "lifting" I see a couple of guys doing bicep curls with free weights but everything else on machines. I'm the only one using free weights and the barbell.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

that's not doing deadlifting correctly, not by a long shot

we're talking about deadlifts not stiff leg deadlifts - and even those are perfectly safe if done with correct form and a suitable weight... what people are talking about when they say "deadlifts" is the main, regular, standard deadlift which is a compound exercise that works the whole body. It does not involve lifting with your back, it involves lifting with your legs, and your legs should be bent and your back straight and your hips lower than your shoulders at the start of the lift. So stiff legs and butt in the air are not part of this exercise.

you can't blame the exercise for people who do it wrong...