The Real Danger of Smoothies and Juicing

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    haha really? this study is BS...the sugars that you get from blending or juicing are NOT the same and do not have the same effect on your body as processed sugar in cookies, sweets etc. ive been juicing and blending for 5 years...Ive lost 100 lbs, Im more fit and active than I have ever been and my blood tests are excellent....

:huh:

I'm juxt wondering what company pays you to say this stuff.

I wish a company DID pay me for this...

Fruit doesnt have any sugar in it...sugar is something that can only exist if you refine something...a banana doesnt have sugar it has a holistic nature to it...if you refine the banana you can get sugar from it...but when its a BANANA it doesnt behave like refined sugar because its a banana...they are totally unrelated...

the food industry has trained people to think about 1 nutrient in an item...cant have fruit its got too much sugar...cant have avacado its got too much fat...really? God put these fruits and vegetables on the planet to eat and give us a healthy life...so eat them and be healthy!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    This is so crazy no wonder so many have no idea what to believe. It has sugar ok but unless you are at risk or already have diabetse this sugar in moderation is still good. I can't say its for everyone but I drink protein shakes for a reason to get nutrients in and I love at times when I am struggling that it is broken down some already and easily digested. There are many reasons for smoothies vitamns, fluid, protein, fiber get real it is much better than junk food.
  • kemval74
    kemval74 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fruit doesnt have any sugar in it...sugar is something that can only exist if you refine something...a banana doesnt have sugar it has a holistic nature to it...if you refine the banana you can get sugar from it...but when its a BANANA it doesnt behave like refined sugar because its a banana...they are totally unrelated...

No, no, no, no, NO!!!!! Fruit does contain sugar. That sugar is fructose. Fructose is almost wholly processed by the liver and thus there are some scientists who suspect a link between over consumption of fructose, even from whole fruits, with non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome and there was some research suggesting this might be the case. A recent study, however, has indicated that is is not fructose consumption that is linked with non-alcoholic fatty acid disease but instead excess calories of any type. It is likely that we will see a good deal of conflicting information as each new study works toward building a full understanding on the dietary effects of fruit sugars, etc.

That being said, to suggest that fruits do not contain sugar is just plain WRONG.

does fruit contain fructose...yes...but does it have the same effects on the body as refined sugar...NO.....our bodies and cells run on fructose...why do you think God made these fruits for us to eat? the point was bananas and refined sugars are NOT the same... and I never said that an avocado didnt have fat in it...

Technically, you are correct. According to the dictionary:

sug·ar

/ˈSHo͝ogər/

noun

noun: sugar

1. a sweet crystalline substance obtained from various plants, especially sugar cane and sugar beet, consisting essentially of sucrose, and used as a sweetener in food and drink.

(lol)

But it's all a moot point. Juicing and smoothies employ 2 totally different mechanisms of extraction. With smoothies you retain the fiber content of the fruit used and when it is paired with veggies and/or a protein sources the rate of absorption is slowed down as opposed to straight juicing, which would likely cause a spike in glucose levels. Smoothies can most definitely be used as a valid mechanism for weight loss if they are done properly; not the premade smoothies, but homemade smoothies.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Whole fruit may be slightly better for you than a blended piece of fruit, but blended fruit is about 10x better than what most people would otherwise be eating... a lot of processed food.

Myself and a lot of others drink almost daily green smoothies as a meal replacement, because there is no way I'm eating 4-5 cups of spinach leaves, or some other green leaf, without ANY dressing or topping. The only reason I add fruit is to make it palatable.

And by the way, I think that research has shown that blending green plants makes the nutrients more available. So maybe the downside of blending fruit offsets the benefits of blending leaves...

If I don't eat the green smoothie, the Mexican restaurant and their endless bowls of salsa and chips across the street from my office start looking like a good idea...
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am SO CONFUSED!

Sugar is not sugar if it comes out of a banana, but it is sugar if it comes out of a strawberry, but once you chew it it turns into rainbows whether or not it started as a sugarless banana or a sugarful strawberry. Dairy kills us all, especially Mayo, because that's the whitest of dairy products and should be avoided along with Avocados which contain no fat and are thusly sabotaging us and leading to cankles.

Am I getting this straight?? Am I right?

I think I love you.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I am laughing so hard at the amount of people that first...are taking this serious...DAILY MAIL PEOPLE! And second, the douche****ingcanoe that honestly thinks youtube is proof of anything.

:::runs off to make a youtube video to prove that the moon is made of cheese:::
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    does fruit contain fructose...yes...but does it have the same effects on the body as refined sugar...NO.....our bodies and cells run on fructose...why do you think God made these fruits for us to eat? the point was bananas and refined sugars are NOT the same... and I never said that an avocado didnt have fat in it...

Hate to break it to you, but the fresh produce products you know today, did not always exist in their current forms. They were cultivated by humans to have more flesh (fruits) or less (nuts) or to be larger (root vegetables) or sweeter, or less poisonous, or... you get the picture. Humans did that.

GMO foods - before we did it on a microscopic/cellular level, we did it on a macroscopic/plant level. Because we're humans, and we have spent the last several thousand years changing the planet into a more hospitable place. That's what we do, when we aren't fighting each other over land/money/religion/smoothies/sugar/fat/etc.

**edited for grammar**
  • QuietBloom
    Options

No, no, no, no, NO!!!!! Fruit does contain sugar. That sugar is fructose. Fructose is almost wholly processed by the liver and thus there are some scientists who suspect a link between over consumption of fructose, even from whole fruits, with non-alcoholic fatty liver syndrome and there was some research suggesting this might be the case. A recent study, however, has indicated that is is not fructose consumption that is linked with non-alcoholic fatty acid disease but instead excess calories of any type. It is likely that we will see a good deal of conflicting information as each new study works toward building a full understanding on the dietary effects of fruit sugars, etc.

That being said, to suggest that fruits do not contain sugar is just plain WRONG.

Technically, you are correct. According to the dictionary:

sug·ar

/ˈSHo͝ogər/

noun

noun: sugar

1. a sweet crystalline substance obtained from various plants, especially sugar cane and sugar beet, consisting essentially of sucrose, and used as a sweetener in food and drink.

(lol)

But it's all a moot point. Juicing and smoothies employ 2 totally different mechanisms of extraction. With smoothies you retain the fiber content of the fruit used and when it is paired with veggies and/or a protein sources the rate of absorption is slowed down as opposed to straight juicing, which would likely cause a spike in glucose levels. Smoothies can most definitely be used as a valid mechanism for weight loss if they are done properly; not the premade smoothies, but homemade smoothies.

But fruit also contains sucrose, which is what we think of as table sugar.

Fun thread!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    A recent paper published by a emeritus professor of biochemistry shows that juicing and smoothies are much worse for you than simply eating the fruit when it comes to weight loss.

I couldn't even get through your whole post I was obsessed on your profile pic and how delicious it looks!! MMmmmm waffles!!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I just have one question, since we've established that mayo is the mother of all evil.

Where does Miracle Whip fall in?
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I am laughing so hard at the amount of people that first...are taking this serious...DAILY MAIL PEOPLE! And second, the douche****ingcanoe that honestly thinks youtube is proof of anything.

:::runs off to make a youtube video to prove that the moon is made of cheese:::

I gave OP the benefit of the doubt when replying. If he/she is trying to be funny, maybe it should go in the chit-chat forum.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    In to "educate" my self later, for more humor later, to better understand why my diabetic friend can't eat fruit since apparently in does not contain sugar, and to see what page the cat gifs start on.

Page 4
    k1qdr9.gif
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I just have one question, since we've established that mayo is the mother of all evil.

The spawn of all evil. Obviously.
  • dschassie
    dschassie Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Rarely does one get to read this much nonsense in one forum post - and we are only 4 pages deep.:noway:

Let's break out some gifs please!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Based on this:

the food industry has trained people to think about 1 nutrient in an item...cant have fruit its got too much sugar...cant have avacado its got too much fat...really? God put these fruits and vegetables on the planet to eat and give us a healthy life...so eat them and be healthy!

And then this:

What?

Nothing wrong with Dairy!

keep telling yourself that...you're headed to an early grave...better get some life insurance

I really hope you're being sarcastic because fruit does have sugar, avocados do have fat and there isn't anything wrong with dairy. I drink milk, eat yogurt, fruit and avocados. Ain't nothing wrong with me nor will I be "heading for an early grave"
    methinks he must be trolling.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

COMPLETE SIN! Don't even!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am SO CONFUSED!

Sugar is not sugar if it comes out of a banana, but it is sugar if it comes out of a strawberry, but once you chew it it turns into rainbows whether or not it started as a sugarless banana or a sugarful strawberry. Dairy kills us all, especially Mayo, because that's the whitest of dairy products and should be avoided along with Avocados which contain no fat and are thusly sabotaging us and leading to cankles.

Am I getting this straight?? Am I right?

I think I love you.

Office_i_love_you_too.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Based on this:

And then this:

What?

Nothing wrong with Dairy!

keep telling yourself that...you're headed to an early grave...better get some life insurance

I really hope you're being sarcastic because fruit does have sugar, avocados do have fat and there isn't anything wrong with dairy. I drink milk, eat yogurt, fruit and avocados. Ain't nothing wrong with me nor will I be "heading for an early grave"

or so you think....

this will show you medical and scientific research that backs up my anti dairy claims...but you probably wont want to educate yourself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30gEiweaAVQ

A youtube video of someones opinion proves to me nothing.

Living life sir you are doing it wrong.

Take your utter nonsense elsewhere.

you obviously are going to continue to be an uneducated fool...who struggles with losing weight...just trying to help you out...but i guess you want your kids to grow up without a dad...

Because dairy? People who consume dairy inevitably leave their young children fatherless?

Wow.

Okay, I guess I'm in to read where this discussion went so horribly wrong.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    haha really? this study is BS...the sugars that you get from blending or juicing are NOT the same and do not have the same effect on your body as processed sugar in cookies, sweets etc. ive been juicing and blending for 5 years...Ive lost 100 lbs, Im more fit and active than I have ever been and my blood tests are excellent....

:huh:

I'm juxt wondering what company pays you to say this stuff.

This gives me second-hand embarrassment