Sugar Addiction Help

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Recovering sugar addict lol

I know.

A lot of people with binge eating or compulsive overeating disorder think they have "food addiction," when really they have an eating disorder.

Hey everybody! If you have issues with eating, particularly where you feel out of control eating certain things and binge on them: therapy, mental conditioning, online resources. I had binge eating disorder for most of my life. Develop a healthy relationship with food. Don't blame your binge triggers, especially when you are still eating them (meaning "i don't eat sugar!" but still eat fruit, honey, any carbohydrates) take some personal accountability.

Tell that to the rats. Obviously they binge on the exact same bready, high sugar stuff humans do because they have mental problems and lack a healthy relationship with food and personal responsibility.

It couldn't be sugar messing with the body's complex satiety system, oh no! It has to be mental and lack of willpower!

Maybe I am confused with what you wrote so forgive me if I am mistaken. That said, rats don't have that lovely quality that humans have call reason. We can reason with ourselves. Rats are animals and will devour until they die. Please stop comparing logical reasoning human brains with tiny instinct-driven rat brains.

Don't get me wrong, I like rats.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    http://natureworksbest.com/naturopathy-works/food-cravings/

This link could be something for you to try...?
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

I know.

A lot of people with binge eating or compulsive overeating disorder think they have "food addiction," when really they have an eating disorder.

Hey everybody! If you have issues with eating, particularly where you feel out of control eating certain things and binge on them: therapy, mental conditioning, online resources. I had binge eating disorder for most of my life. Develop a healthy relationship with food. Don't blame your binge triggers, especially when you are still eating them (meaning "i don't eat sugar!" but still eat fruit, honey, any carbohydrates) take some personal accountability.

Tell that to the rats. Obviously they binge on the exact same bready, high sugar stuff humans do because they have mental problems and lack a healthy relationship with food and personal responsibility.

It couldn't be sugar messing with the body's complex satiety system, oh no! It has to be mental and lack of willpower!

Maybe I am confused with what you wrote so forgive me if I am mistaken. That said, rats don't have that lovely quality that humans have call reason. We can reason with ourselves. Rats are animals and will devour until they die. Please stop comparing logical reasoning human brains with tiny instinct-driven rat brains.

Don't get me wrong, I like rats.

But you just proved my point about food addiction having a physical cause. Rats can't control their physical impulses very well. It's true that we can. But again, rats don't have the complexities of human psychology, so there is no reason to think all satiety problems and cravings are mental or a matter of willpower.

And telling people who get hungry after eating certain foods to just use willpower is like telling someone who gets itchy hives after eating certain foods to eat those foods anyway, then have the willpower not to scratch. Why suggest someone should put themselves through such an annoyance?

Put another way, would you tell a heavy smoker to cut down to one or two cigarettes from a pack a day habit, or would you encourage the smoker to quit entirely?

Here is a rat article (poor rats):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3147141/

Rats given extended access to high-fat high-sugar food show behavioral and physiological changes that are similar to those caused by drugs of abuse. However, parallels between drug and food “addiction” should be drawn with caution.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

I know.

I'm a live and let live type of person but if I can change my satiety and eating patterns in a couple of weeks by cutting way back on the sugar and carbs how is that not physical? How is that not being personally accountable?

Your issues are your issues -- and diagnosis -- don't project them onto everyone else. Just because you have food "relationship" issues doesn't mean everyone else does. For some of us it actually is the types of food we're eating that's causing the problem not a "relationship" issue that takes years and years of counseling and conditioning to work through.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Dear Lord people, this person asked for help, not for this to turn into Jerry Springer. Go start your own thread and ruin it with insulting each other.

Anyway OP, I don't cut sugar just because I like it. Plain and simple. I have made some modifications though like natural peanut butter with no added anything, agave or fresh berries in place of syrup for pancakes or waffles, brown sugar for white, dark chocolate for milk (still have to look out for added sugar, brands very), found the lowest added sugar in yogurt and stick with that, etc. The list goes on of simply ways to cut some, not all, sugar out of your diet. Like pretzels for instance, I stated buying Snider's instead or Rold Gold because the sugar content was less (I think none at all in just the normal pretzels). If you make a bunch of little changes to start off then it'll all add up to a really big decrease in your sugar intake and you can reevaluate then.

Hope that helps! Oh and here is a link that will help you with fruits and their sugar content, among other things.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=12-35-45-00

Good luck!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

No but seriously, sugar is not an addictive substance. Your body craves quick energy, sugar provides that. If you're concerned about getting proper nutrients, maybe try eating fruit instead of sugary candy or whatever.

There are studies that would suggest sugar actually does stimulate the same parts of the brain as other drugs.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sugar+addictive

The thing is: everything we like stimulates the brain. When I sit down with a great book, looking at a new piece of knitting, or doing any desirable activity, my brain is lighting up. Everything is not an addiction.
  • Meerataila
    Options

No but seriously, sugar is not an addictive substance. Your body craves quick energy, sugar provides that. If you're concerned about getting proper nutrients, maybe try eating fruit instead of sugary candy or whatever.

There are studies that would suggest sugar actually does stimulate the same parts of the brain as other drugs.

The thing is: everything we like stimulates the brain. When I sit down with a great book, looking at a new piece of knitting, or doing any desirable activity, my brain is lighting up. Everything is not an addiction.

That is true. And I'm a hedonist, I believe in living for pleasure. But it's a trade off. Being obese or hungry all the time due to the pleasure of foods that stimulate appetite is something I will happily trade for other, greater pleasures, and possibly a longer life to enjoy them.

While we all must eat to live, there is no nutritional or medical reason to eat low nutrient, sugary, bready foods. But I swear on my shrinking belly, the day a doctor tells me I have a dangerous cookie deficiency, I'll heed the warning!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

And some things -- like sugar -- cause a greater activation and increasing reward with greater amounts. I imagine the same holds true for enjoyable activities like knitting.

Here's an interesting article:

“We do a lot of work on the prevention of obesity, and what is really clear not only from this study but from the broader literature over all is that the more sugar you eat, the more you want to consume it,” said Dr. Stice, a senior research scientist at the Oregon Research Institute. “As far as the ability to engage brain reward regions and drive compulsive intake, sugar seems to be doing a much better job than fat.” -- In Food Cravings, Sugar Trumps Fat

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/13/in-food-cravings-sugar-trumps-fat/

Abstract:

"Fat caused greater activation of the caudate and oral somatosensory regions than did sugar, sugar caused greater activation in the putamen and gustatory regions than did fat, increasing sugar caused greater activity in gustatory regions, and increasing fat did not affect the activation. Results imply that sugar more effectively recruits reward and gustatory regions, suggesting that policy, prevention, and treatment interventions should prioritize reductions in sugar intake." -- Relative ability of fat and sugar tastes to activate reward, gustatory, and somatosensory regions.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24132980
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

That is true. And I'm a hedonist, I believe in living for pleasure. But it's a trade off. Being obese or hungry all the time due to the pleasure of foods that stimulate appetite is something I will happily trade for other, greater pleasures, and possibly a longer life to enjoy them.

While we all must eat to live, there is no nutritional or medical reason to eat low nutrient, sugary, bready foods. But I swear on my shrinking belly, the day a doctor tells me I have a dangerous cookie deficiency, I'll heed the warning!

:laugh: you and me both sugah-pie
    giphy.gif
  • Meerataila
    Options

giphy.gif

Being a cookie monster with a cookie in each hand definitely contributed to my weight gain! :sad:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Being a cookie monster with a cookie in each hand definitely contributed to my weight gain! :sad:

I try not to think about it -___- cause when I do....

90c0195078ccf44f7e9bbb9069b18004b549184dded6ad8fe6e48675d70d5733.jpg
  • bostonlulu
    bostonlulu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura,

Good on you!! Beating sugar is tough.. There are many people who replied to you and are familiar with the large body of research about the addictive properties of sugar. No point in repeating what's been said other than brains scans of food addicts look exactly like the brain scans of drug addicts.

For the many folks who have no problem with sugar --- you are blessed with good genes. My family doesn't have the genes for alcoholism but we got slammed with the food addiction genes. It has killed off my mom and many aunts and uncles. The addiction got them to diabetes, strokes, and heart attacks.

I am an all-or-nothing person and eating sugar sets me up for crazy cravings that sound like a screaming maniac in my head commanding me to find and eat sugar. I’ve gone so low as to steal candy from a kid while he was sleeping.

I've gotten off sugar many, many times in my life. Each time, thinking I was cured (DUH), I ate sugar and was off and running. Amazingly, when I’ve been off for a few months, the first few bites made me physically ill, shaky like I'm in shock. I plow through that and I'm off and running.

At 66 YO, it’s movd me into the path of chronic illness and pain, When I’m on sugar, my arthritis makes my inflamed joints so painful. Off sugar, I can walk stairs like a regular person. I am trying to beat this beast so that I can live with the quality of life I want.

I’ve been off sugar for 5 weeks and the carbs that metabolize as sugar. The first few days, I white knuckled it. I can tell you, that now cravings are weak or non-existent. For me, it requires constant vigilance so that I can set myself up for success. Some of these suggestions have already been mentioned. Please pardon me for the repeats. This is what has worked for me:

• I read labels carefully. Sugar has more than 100 different names and it’s in places you’d never expect to see it – e.g. croutons, marinara sauce, whole grain cereals, canned soup. If sugar is in the first 5 ingredients, I don’t eat it.

• For the first few weeks, I didn’t take chances and avoided my trigger places like Starbuck’s, the bakery section of my favorite supermarket, and my friend’s mother who likes to see me eat her delicious baked goods.

• At 5 weeks, I generally feel stronger but when I’m tired or stressed, I stay out of the places that call to me.

• No sugar comes into my home. In the past, I’ve told myself it was for company but the stuff never lived till morning.

• If I feel vulnerable when I go to shop, I call a friend who gets it and she stays on the phone with me until I leave the place.

• I have a plastic basket in the fridge filled with healthy things I like, cut up and ready to eat. When I want “something,” I pull out the bin and stuff is ready to instantly gratify me.

• If I’m going to be out for more than 2 hours, I take food with me in my insulated bag. I don’t let myself get to the excuse “ I forgot lunch or my snack, I’m starving, I’ll just go into Whole Foods and get a healthy salad with protein.” Nahhh – I lie. Once I’m in there, I’m a goner because I’m hungry.

• Unless it’s someone who gets it, I don’t tell people I’m off sugar. I was recently at a catered birthday party and the hostess kept urging me to try the goodies. “One won’t hurt.” My reply was that I’m allergic – very few folks argue with that. It’s true, I break out in fat and lose my good judgement.

• I stay away from artificial sweeteners. The research is conclusive on that also – they set you up for sugar cravings. I finally found a Stevia I like (Best Stevia by Now because it is stevia glycinate) and that’s what I use. I carry it with me so I can have an iced tea that I sweeten when I’m out.

• I learned a great lesson in OA, failing to plan is planning to fail. It’s true for me.

I can’t believe how long this reply is. It’s good for me to see it in black and white.

You can do this. It’s not easy at first and there are many of us in this community who would like to support you, including me.

Light and blessings,
    BostonLulu
  • Meerataila
    Options
    My reply was that I’m allergic – very few folks argue with that. It’s true, I break out in fat and lose my good judgement.

:laugh: I'm just going to start doing this. I'm tired of being diagnosed by amateur psychologists as having mental problems because bready sugary stuff makes me hungry.

But I swear, if even one person pushes it too far, I'm going to start describing all the nasty insects and insect excretions found in most processed treats. In detail. With pictures saved on my phone if necessary. People want to tell me how I should eat? Okay, we'll see how they think of their food after I'm done!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I know.

I'm a live and let live type of person but if I can change my satiety and eating patterns in a couple of weeks by cutting way back on the sugar and carbs how is that not physical? How is that not being personally accountable?

Your issues are your issues -- and diagnosis -- don't project them onto everyone else. Just because you have food "relationship" issues doesn't mean everyone else does. For some of us it actually is the types of food we're eating that's causing the problem not a "relationship" issue that takes years and years of counseling and conditioning to work through.

Cutting out sugar and carbs is not a long term solution to so-called "sugar addiction," neither is eating "certain types of sugar" and demonizing others. I'm not advocating eating 14 cookies a day, I'm saying that eating what you want within reason is attainable for everyone, it just takes work, rather than eliminating things that are "bad." It's the same mentality that leads the obese to rearrange their insides to lose weight rather than just find the strength and willpower to fuel themselves properly. I wish you success in your efforts, but I won't be surprised if you quit because going lowcarb/low sugar in the long term is very hard to sustain.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Fact: the more sugar you eat, the more you will crave it.

Fact: the less sugar you eat, the less you will crave it.

Cut down on sugar and your cravings will eventually go down, BIG TIME. I used to have a huge sweet tooth and it's pretty much gone because I decided to dramatically cut down. A little while after I cut down, I noticed I didn't have cravings anymore. Don't get me wrong, I definitely still need to have something sweet every day. That is natural. But the irrational and destructive cravings are gone, and I don't binge on sweets anymore. Ever.

Sometimes what you really need is a reason to cut down on sugar. Something other than your desire to lose weight. Check out this lecture on the hidden dangers of sugar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

These are not facts.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

I know.

Cutting out sugar and carbs is not a long term solution to so-called "sugar addiction," neither is eating "certain types of sugar" and demonizing others. I'm not advocating eating 14 cookies a day, I'm saying that eating what you want within reason is attainable for everyone, it just takes work, rather than eliminating things that are "bad." It's the same mentality that leads the obese to rearrange their insides to lose weight rather than just find the strength and willpower to fuel themselves properly. I wish you success in your efforts, but I won't be surprised if you quit because going lowcarb/low sugar in the long term is very hard to sustain.
    I've been eating this way for two years now. I've maintained my 65lb weightloss for over a year -- not only is it sustainable it's almost effortless.

Way back when I started eating low carb for health reasons (family history of diabetes, cancer and heart disease) I described the unexpected effect on my appetite as miraculous. Do you know how freeing it is to have a normal appetite again? How wonderous it feels to eat because you're hungry and to stop eating when you're full? Not to have that compulsion to eat and keep eating even if you're not really hungry but you have this overwhelming need and feel like you can't stop? And then to be "cured" in a matter of weeks and have a normal appetite again simply by eating a low carb, high fat whole foods diet?

You REALLY don't know what you're talking about. I'll happily eat my ribeye and vegetables sauteed in onions, garlic, butter and bacon for the rest of my life -- or the dozens of other dishes I think are equally delicious and satisfying. And enjoy the carby/sugary goodness on holidays and special occassions. Happily. Effortlessly. Good food and a normal appetite are not a hardship.

Your experience is not my experience, is not someone elses experience. By all means share what you know and works for you but stop speaking in absolutes because you don't know what the bleep you're talking about.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    This thread is so full of willpower high horses, why not throw a morality high horse in here, too?

How can anyone eat food that has no nutritional value and exists purely for pleasure in a world where people are starving? Oh the inhumanity! The callous disregard! The wasteful, chocolate smeared gluttony! (And the chocolate was probably harvested with child labor, too.)
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I consume 450+g of sugar on average every day. Unless diabetic, do not fear sugar.
  • Hovercat
    Hovercat Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight just giving up sugar.
    I don't fear it, it just makes me fat.
    I'd rather not be fat.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I lost all my weight just giving up sugar.
    I don't fear it, it just makes me fat.
    I'd rather not be fat.
    I and many others should be obese then.