At what point did you finally decide "this is it..."

Options

Replies

• ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For a while I was feeling flabby and chubby, but everyone else didn't think so, so I figured it was solely me who thought it, considering I've always had confidence issues. But one day my fiance and I were laying in bed and talking about our future and whatnot, when the subject came up about my weight and that I had gained a little lately. It really hurt my feelings, but it was the kick in the butt that I needed to get off my a** and better myself. So far, not according to the ticker, I've lost about 11 lbs and feel so confident. I haven't been in the low 130's for a while and can't wait to see that scale hit the 120's. I might actually cry.

Sometimes even if you think you're gaining weight, another person to let you know may be all you need to get started!
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I reached the point where I didn't want any pictures taken of me. I wasn't happy with the way I looked and it was affecting the relationship between me and my husband. Although my husband tells me I look fine I think it's more about how I feel about myself.
  • MrsShell17
    MrsShell17 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Seeing side view pics....I saw the subtle beginnings of a double chin and was like WTH!!! :-/

I know I've gained about 30lbs in the past 3 years but I have always been skinny and trying to gain weight, not the other way around.....after seeing a few pics of me taken over this past weekend, I realize I may have gone a lil overboard! lol So, I'm definitely not tryna be as skinny as I was before, I'm just trying to lose some fat, build some muscle tone and maintain it :-)
  • WendyZ82
    WendyZ82 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For a long time I had a pair of jeans that were an oversized 20w. I hated wearing them because they were just too big! They were in the back of my closet for years. Last summer I found myself in the situation where they had become the only pair of pants I owned that fit and they were getting tight. That was a wake up to me that I had to do something and now. I must of been in denial because I never realized how big I had got , I just didn't see it until that day. I started walking that day and joined MFP a couple weeks later.
  • laura2813
    laura2813 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!

I have twin daughters that are 18 and I spent 15 years of their life being a single mom. During that time I tried to teach them they need to first be happy with themselves before they can be happy with someone else. The flip side to that is my problem. I am VERY independent and don't have to have someone so it makes it hard for my husband now. lol
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    When I figured out my hormones where making me insane...from a crappy diet and being 211 lbs, I didnt smile ever.
    The other aspects in my life were great, but I simply couldnt be happy with me so I had to change my self.
  • xxxpeacekeepxxx
    Options
    I've always been over weight. I recently went to the doctor's and got weighed, blood work done, etc. Well I went back yesterday and the blood work wasn't good. My triglycerides are double what they should be, along with other things and my doctor was worried. I am only 19, I don't need this for my life. I've been trying to lose weight, not really trying, but just going through the motions. But that was the final straw yesterday. I don't want to have to worry about that. I want to go to the doctor again next year or another time and see things be normal.
  • kjstaley70
    kjstaley70 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me it was moving closer to my mother who is house bound due to not taking care of herself, not watching her diet and being inactive. I thought I want to be able to have fun with my grandchildren one day and not end up in a wheelchair at 70. It was a good wake up call. It has not been easy because my eating habits have been bad for years. I always tell people I am in better shape at 43 than I was at 23 though and that is a big start!

Good luck! Keep moving forward no matter the obstacle! :-)
  • MichelleKacz
    Options
    My weight has been up and down my whole life (my mother is obese and I developed bad habits from a very early age), but the penny really dropped for me when I got engaged. I was 105kg at the time (230lbs) and the thought of having everyone’s eyes on me literally scared the crap (diet) out of me! Unfortunately I hadn’t lost much weight by the actual wedding day itself, but I was on the right track and felt much better about myself. 10 years down the line, I couldn't be more proud that I made the change, it’s honestly been the best decision of my life.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I couldn't walk a 5k. Everything else that I felt ashamed by or hated, I could ignore or reason my way around. Being confronted with the physical inability to stroll for 3 miles was a "Do not pass Go" moment.
  • Brinray
    Brinray Posts: 20
    Options
    I am too broke to buy new clothes. I can lose weight or go naked. I choose to lose weight and then go naked! Best of both words.
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I saw a picture of myself and didn't know who it was. It was a shock-- I had always been overweight but that was awful Still have about 10 lbs to go. But doing it healthy and smart over last 2 years is so worth it
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I kept saying "as long as I don't go over XXX lbs, I'm ok." But the number kept going higher. My blood pressure was good and the bloodwork from my yearly physical was mostly good, too. Everyone in my family has Diabetes II except me...all 3 sisters, both parents, grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins. I have celiacs so I convinced myself I wouldn't get Diabetes because I don't eat all the breads and pastas they do.

I switched to a different department, where the hours made working out more difficult. I still had lousy eating habits. The "big" clothes that had gotten maybe a little loose were now getting snug. So...here I was: 55, overweight (FAT), and working in a job where it's relatively important to be in decent shape.

Then I saw some pictures from last summer. I'd been feeling pretty good back then, had been bicycling 20, 30, 40+ miles a couple times a week and using an elliptical machine most nights at work and putting in 5-6 miles on it. But I hadn't been eating right. So all the exercise did little to help me lose weight. It was horrifying to think I'd been wearing bicycle shorts (spandex :noway: ) and thinking that I looked ok. I don't generally like pictures and if someone takes a picture, I seldom look at it.

In the middle of May, I took both bicycles (road and mountain) into the shop for tune ups, talked to my doc and threw away my fat food. I just started cutting out junk food. Then I found MFP and signed up, as well as buying a Fitbit. My ticker says I'm down 17 lbs, but I'm actually down 38 from my high weight. My work pants are 2 sizes smaller so far and today I am picking up smaller shirts. This is only the beginning. As I've started losing, going to the gym, riding 50 miles at a time on my mountain bike (and had to buy smaller cycling shorts!)...I'm only getting more determined to keep going until I'm fit and at a healthy weight.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    When I got food poisoning from the junk food I would always go too (KFC)
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am similar to the OP. My 30s and 40-42 was a time of very limited exercise and very poor diet and I gained weight over time. I was a yo yo dieter over the years with some diets only lasting 1/2 day. In 2005 I was 205 after one successful fasting diet losing 25 lbs but gained all that back plus another 25 lbs. I got up to 255. Below are some of my triggers:

> Ex-college girlfriend facebooked me and she is a fit trainer now. I certainly did not want to her to see me as a borderline obese guy.

> my older brother died of a sudden heart attack, he was is good shape for his age tho.

> did not feel good about myself

> clothes did not fit me right or look good on me.

> winded after walking a couple flights of stairs in my work parking garage and I could feel a throbbing pulse in my neck from the exertion.

> After looking at pictures of me (of which there are very few) I said "Am I really that big?"

> I had some digestive issues from the greasy food I would eat a lot and my car and office at work smelled from the constant farting.

> trouble tying shoes or cutting toe nails

> trouble wiping

> inability to jog more than 40-50 yards with my daughter who wanted me to run with her.

> poor sexual performance/endurance

> At family or social events trying to find a couch with a throw pillow and using said pillow to help hide my belly while sitting.

I could go on and even after all this ^^^ ugliness I still find my addiction to food to be a struggle.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My husband signed me up to a weight-loss challenge. I was mad, but I went because I didn't want to disappoint.

I did it all for the wrong reasons, but I found my reasons along the way and I have not looked back since.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I told a friend to disown me if I got over 200. Went off to college, no scale, not a lot of mirrors. Doctor's appointment: 217.

I was shocked, of course, because I'd always been big but never considered myself -that- big. Started on FatSecret the next day, and moved to MFP a while ago. I'm not there yet, but I'm making the changes to get there.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've decided, and meant it, more than once. It's several years later that I kinda forget why I did it in the first place.

When I got on the scale at 19 and it said 151 and I cried, realizing I was closer to 200 than 100. Lost 30 pounds.
    When I went back to college at 26 weighing 200 and got a lot of skinny new friends, and was ashamed of being the fat friend. My friends didn't care, but I did. Lost 50 pounds.
    When I was 35 and 249 and decided to spend some time backpacking in China. Didn't want to be the "Fat American" so I lost 45 pounds. Not that the Chinese were impressed by my reduction in *kitten* size, everywhere I went I got stares and disgusted proclamations of how fei I was.

Along the way there were all those moments of can't put my shoes on without sitting on the couch cross legged, throat feels like it's squishing closed when I lie down, out of breath crossing the parking lot, only shapeless ugly clothes in my size, but for me none of that was really bad enough because once I'd lose enough weight that they were no longer an issue, I forgot what a PITA they were and went back to old habits and not paying attention. After all, in your head you're never as fat as you are on paper, right? Unless I saw a photo of myself, it was like I didn't really get how big I was, and I was never one for junk food or sweets so in my head I was doing just fine.

This time was actually different. I just kinda said, what the hell. No fanfare, no gung ho motivation, no ceremonial throwing away of the so-called bad foods. Food was never really my problem anyway. Lack of activity was. Made a few changes, then a few more. Took up an activity I actually love (MMA) vs trying to make myself believe I actually enjoyed walking or aerobics or sitting in someone else's sweat at the gym. It seems to be sticking this time because I'm at the marker where I usually call it good and quit, but instead I'm ready to see the next 40 pounds go away.
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think I've posted this before somewhere. Basically it was a matter of my mental image of me catching up with reality.

I'd been gaining weight steadily for the last few years and I did know it, but mentally I was still the skinny guy who walked a lot.

This last winter I noticed that shoveling snow was a lot harder than I remembered and that a nagging shoulder injury (from the snow shoveling) was taking a very long time to go away. But that still didn't do it. In the end it was two things:

- Mid-March I got on the scale and weighed in at 201lbs. Which may not sound like very much to most guys but for me it's an astronomically high number. I have a naturally skinny build and I'm not athletic so none of it is muscle.

- Then I got a FitBit and discovered that I no longer walked a lot but was down to 2,000 - 3,000 steps a day.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    On my 39th birthday (October 2012) I decided I didn't want to be 20stone plus when I hit the big 4-0.... On my 40th birthday I was 15st 3lb, I had done it, I am still on my journey, but I am almost at my goal now, only 14lb to go.... xXx