At what point did you finally decide "this is it..."

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Last May, I got a new teaching job in a small town - It was a huge adjustment for many different reasons that I won't bore you with; however, the anxiety was overwhelming, so my doc put me on an anti-anxiety med, and I gained about 10 pounds in a month.

Over the course of the next 6 months, I gained at least 10 more pounds (I don't know the exact amount, as I was scared to get on the scale- when I finally did - after about a month of exercising and cutting back - the scale said 161. So my weight loss is probably more like 29 pounds).

Anywho. In March, I was at the inlaws, and I love my inlaws. They are great. However. My MIL made a comment that cut me to the core. She said, "Oh, I got you a sweater, dear. It's over there on the mantle." I thanked her, because, you know -clothes.

But then she added..."Yes, I bought it for myself, but it's just WAAAAAAYYYYY to big for me. So I figured it would fit you."

Ouch.

I made a decision 2 weeks later to step on a scale and do something about it. Of course there were many other things that prompted me to begin - my size 12 jeans were getting too snug...and the 14s were just right. I was very depressed and tired all the time. My anxiety had gotten even worse.

Now, I've cut out alcohol to just 1-2 beers a week, I eat more fruits, vegetables, and protein, and I exercise every day.

There's more to this story, but the real victory here is that I've developed a healthy relationship with food. And an even healthier one with my body.
  • mizlarue
    mizlarue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am starting a new journey. I have been overweight/obese since I was a child. I don't know what it will feel like when I fit a new normal. So, I'm taking it one day at a time. I want to be around for a while. For me this is it! Even to be sharing my self with strangers is a big step.

Thank you for the post.
  • njadh51
    njadh51 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was around 400 lbs at a bbq sitting in a plastic patio chair (which I shouldn't have even attempted to sit in) and couldn't stand up from it. I struggled, a friend tried to discreetly help me, but the chair leg bent then broke and I fell to the ground flapping around like a beached whale accompanied by supressed laughter from others and good-natured ribbing from my friends that added insult to injury. I started the next day and lost 120 lbs in a year and a half. The weight crept up 50 lbs in later years, but with MFP and the inspirational success stories here, I've since lost 25 of that 50, and plugging away to reach my goal weight of 200 lbs
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I was getting ready to go out with friends one night and actually broke down crying while doing my hair because I realized I hated what I saw in the mirror.

I'm not that far from a healthy BMI, but I used to be such a fit person until life got in the way and before I knew it I had gained 30lbs. I'm doing this because I'm sick and tired of always feeling sick and tired.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    All these stories are helping me remember why I am here doing this. Mine was when my health took a nose dive. Doing things now I have not done in over 30 eyars and feel great. Still have around 44 to go to get to goal.
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    About a week ago!!!!

I've had the *this is it* moment at least eight times in the last five years... but this one just feels right. I'm seeing a trainer, lifting weights, eating high-protein, low-ish carb, and feeling fantastic.

My "aha" moment was actually related to my health - I had a pulmonary embolism at 31, it took longer to recover from than I expected. Then came the "I'm not willing to say you have lupus, but I'm pretty sure you do" half-assed lupus diagnosis. Since then I've been doing a lot of reading about autoimmunes and processed foods and their connection - so I've dropped almost all processed foods from my diet.

My trainer keeps me motivated.

And I'm going to do it this time. :) I also have a certain someone from my past that I can't wait to have skinny pictures to text to him and say, "look what you missed out on."

Because I've dropped off MFP so many times, most of my friends have defriended me. I'm welcome to FR.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Last week I had the oh crap moment when I decided my undies and pants weren't fitting very well, could just be the heat recently BUT I'm still going forwards with my plans. I'd like to be the best I can be for my boyfriend.
  • jraines1973
    jraines1973 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Im 41 and have been from 130lb all the way to 200lb. Thank goodness for the last few years I have been able to maintain a somewhat healthy weight (looking to tone up more than anything). I separated from my husband in May of this year and decided to focuses 100% on my health.
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options
    Each and every reply on this thread is inspiring. Thanks
  • lauranelson779
    lauranelson779 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had been half-assing, trying to loose weight. Just doing it more because of vanity then anything. (I am not a vain person, certainly not vain enough for that to be my lone motivation) . Now that I am facing some unknown health problems my own morality is starting to play a huge part. Although my health is not weight related (waiting for a neurologist to confirm a diagnosis I of MS) I have to come to terms with "this is as good as you are going to be". If right now, this moment is as good as I am going to be then I better make sure I am as strong and healthy as I can be. I have 2 small children and a husband who I love with all my heart. If my quality of life is going to go downhill then I need to start at the top of the mountain.

And if I loose 20lbs on the way....well that would be swell too. maybe I am a little vain:tongue:
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    mine is more embarrassing than the rest but ill share it anyways :blushing:

the first time I started was when I had to start shoppin in the fat ppl section clothes at Walmart. lost 50 pounds then gained it all back cuz I went back to my old dumb habits :(
    second time: im still in the fat people section but its getting harder and harder to find clothes that fit me. I want to wear the cute clothes. they just don't make cute clothe for my fat short body. I want to look in the mirror and like what I see. I want to not be embarrassed and ashamed of myself when me and hubby have sex. I have soo many goals for myself

its not embarassing lolz its what I want too, to look and feel sexy in my skin too :)
  • Irishfaerie86
    Irishfaerie86 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It was kind of random for me. Lately I was eating whatever I wanted yet was strangely losing weight. This had been going on for months and people kept commenting on how great I looked. Then one day I looked in the mirror and My clothes were also a bit tighter than normal. I stepped on the scale and I was almost 150 pounds. Being very short I knew this was an unhealthy weight for me. I also was visiting my mom that day and saw a picture of me in my mom's wedding and I was blown away. I was so heavy and I didn't realize it until I looked at that picture. I was actually annoyed no one pointed out I was rather overweight. I made the decision to lose the weight because I wanted to feel better and feel more confident with my appearance. I wanted to remember what it was like to try on a pair of jeans that were in the single digits for instance. I've always been self conscious about my weight so after that day when I came in at almost 150 pounds I said this is it! I never want to feel self conscious about my weight again and want to stay healthy for my daughter.