The dying art of will power.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    ooh, been a while since I've seen this one bumped. I love my old stuff! I was so full of piss and vinegar! :tongue:

:tongue: .....still are *ducks for cover*

I can find you Cheryl! I know your email address. Don't make me zero out your hard drive!
    :devil:

That the best ya got, banks? boredsmiley.gif

pyong_emoticons-17-1.gif
  • AFLABRAT04
    Options
    Bump!
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    Bumpy
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    bumping the banks today!! :flowerforyou:
  • sandibmann
    sandibmann Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the bumps, I'm fairly new and had not seen this before. I'm printing it out!!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    bump for later
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    self bump
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    felt like bumping Banks this morning:blushing:
  • tmahfouza
    tmahfouza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would like to add my bump too~ Thanks for the kick!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    bump
  • mia66
    mia66 Posts: 425
    Options
    great post. It is just what I needed to read today. It really helped me get through a rough spot. Thanks.
    Mia
  • cmriverside
    Options
    One of my very favoriteposts of all time. Thanks Steve :heart:

thbump2.gif
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    LOVE this
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites too. In my top 5 I think.
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    People always ask me: "Steve, how did you lose 40 pounds in 6 months?" I smile and
    tell them: "I changed everything." They kind of look at me funny, so normally I'll
    explain further like this: "I stopped eating all the crap, I started eating good food.
    I stopped making excuses like 'I'll just have it this one time' and started telling
    myself that if I didn't start now, I never would. I started exercising HARD. Pushing
    my body. And when I wanted to quit, I kept going for an extra couple of minutes,
    knowing that even though my body hurts, it won't kill me, and that extra 3 or 4 minutes
    will benefit me greatly by forcing my body to up it's fitness level just to keep up."

Will power is a difficult thing to quantify. My definition of it is the ability to start
    or continue things that we find less then pleasing, AND the ability to self-analyze in a
    non-biased way. Self-critisizm without self-loathing is difficult, but necessary to
    improve one's overall health.

Figuring out how much willpower you have is meaningless, because willpower is something you generate
    by force of conviction, rather then having from birth or instilled by outside forces.

Those who you perceive to have more will power, many times, just have a higher (mental or physical)
    threshold for pain. Likewise, willpower is the ability do things without worrying what
    others are thinking. If you care that people will look at your fat while you are running
    then you probably need to re-think your attitude, not your training schedule.

So how do we who have suceeded do it? You ask (and I see that question on here almost daily).

It has nothing to do with our technique, or our eating habits, or our workout regimen, those are
    all results from the top level starting point. It has nothing to do with our support network or
    who is doing what around us, at us, or too us, those are just external factors that can influence
    day to day but never the totality of the process.
    I believe with all my heart that having the willpower to begin, CONTINUE, and follow up with the program is THE unifying factor in any weight loss/health improvement program. With a strong conviction and follow through, you can accomplish it (and just about anything).
    And when ever we say "I give up." or "I don't think I can do it any more",
    we are just giving in to our base instincts and not using our higher brain function. This isn't to say
    you can't stumble and "have a bad day", that's different, it's more to concede that something is difficult
    and therefore "I just don't want to do it anymore.". Having a bad day is an error in judgment, but not a consession of defeat.

I hope people take this how I meant it to be seen. What I am trying to do is provide a good starting point for people that don't know where to begin, or feel like they have been trying and failing.

I put all of the onus on Me when I work out and eat. I have never once said, "my wife made me eat badly today" (jokingly I have, but I have also spoken to her about this, and she knows never to feel bad about suggesting someplace to eat). For you to succeed in this, you have to take all the responsibility. If you do that, you will realize nobody will need to tell you how to do this, you will already know, and when you succeed, you will also know that YOU did it! And let me tell you what: There is no better feeling in the world!

I hope this shines a light for at least one person out there.

Best of luck to all of you.

-Banks

I'm printing this right now, not only for me but for my husband as well. We are both dreamers but not doers, very much procrastinators. We "know" what needs to be done to reach our goals, yet lack the motivation to do it. Hopefully this will help. I'm posting it on the fridge.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    One of my favorites too. In my top 5 I think.

Oh! So, Steve, what would be your Top Five? Let's put them right here:

X
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump. Good reading!