Nagging about saving money for IVF

Options

Replies

• greeneyes972
    Options
    Why not adopt some of the millions of babies out there that need you instead of making more mouths to feed?

Thats what I said. It got ignored by the OP

Maybe the OP wants to BEAR her own child, ever think of that? Geez, why don't you adopt some of the kids who need homes, oh holier than thou. :huh:
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I hope you have done research on IVF. There's no guarantee with this process, in fact most end in miscarriage or several before or if it actually works.

good luck
    We will be doing the warranty program. We have 3 tries. If we dont get pregnant we get 90% back. It's worth a try. Most do not end in miscarriage or before birth. I looked at their statistics.
  • greeneyes972
    Options
    What is kind of funny is that financial issues are no different than fitness ones really. If your spending goes over what you have budgeted you will go into debt (or in this case not be able to save), just like you go over the calories you have budgeted you will gain weight. I find it very interesting that some people can be super disciplined in one area, but suck at the other. As far as money goes, I could go forever sticking to that budget and never go over... but I am not as successful with food.

Just like fitness though, you can't nag someone into getting into being financially fit. They will either want to change themselves and dig down and find the discipline to do it or they won't.

+1... Great point!
  • melinda200208
    Options
    OP: If you don't want to nag, don't. Sit him down and talk to him about it. Maybe try $150 instead. Ask him to recommit to it. Then just sit back. You aren't his mother. He's an adult. If he won't do it, he won't do it. Yes, this might delay your IVF but that's on him.
    I think I am going to sit down with him and ask him if he needs 150 instead and NO going over unless we both find it necessary to

NO NO NO NO Melinda. Don't offer to give him $150 a week. He doesn't need $100 a week to begin with! The stuff he is buying is NOT essential.

What you should do is cut back his allowance to $50 a week and put the other $50, into savings.

When a couple wants a child and isn't able to conceive naturally, they have to sacrifice things like golfing, alcohol, and chewing tobacco in order to pay for IVF or AI.

What it comes down to is if your husband wants this child, he needs to make sacrifices.

This is awful advice.

Agreed. Working out finances requires a certain amount of discussion and tact. My wife and I have done separate bank accounts, budgets with the same account, and everything in between. You have to find what works for you and your spouse, OP, but the one thing that won't is dictating to your spouse.

No, my advice wasn't awful.

There's no reason he needs to spend $100+ on beer, chewing tobacco, etc. a week. Especially when they are trying to save for a baby.

Melinda and her husband need to sit down and she can suggest cutting back his weekly allowance to $50. Whether he cuts back or not is his choice. If he wants a child, his actions will reflect that.
    I am going to talk to him this weekend. See if he can try 50 a week. Or if he wants to give it a try. And if there is a week he needs extra we can work that in.?
  • melinda200208
    Options
    I am trying to wrap my head around how $100/week is "a crazy amount" of money?:noway: I could blow through more than $100 in just one DAY.

And I am also with the "you're not ready for this" group.

This.

If you're scraping by where $100/week makes a significant difference in your savings, bringing a child into the mix isn't gonna help the situation.
    We're not scraping by with giving him 100/week. The thing is, he is spending more than that. We aren't hurting for money. We are trying to save a big amount of money 21,000.00 in 12 months. That is 1750 a month in savings. Which we should be able to do if he didn't just blow money sometimes.
  • melinda200208
    Options
    I am going to agree with the posters who suggested a separate untouchable bank account with a direct debit for your saving for baby fund.

However...I am going to add this.

You DO need to budget for a little luxury - which may mean to budget for your husband to have his $100 a week. It is all well and good to be totally single minded focused on making a baby and having a baby BUT you also need to remember to live as well.

Saving with an end goal is great but you also need to enjoy now as well. Is a having a round of IVF 4 months earlier than you planned originally that may or may not be successful worth totally sucking the entire fun out of your current life? Could doing this HARDER than it has to be place more strain on your marriage? Do you think that perhaps your husband bears the weight of some issues due to not being able to impregnate you and this stringent budget is a little like a punishment?

I know (and trust me I certainly do know) the absolute longing to have a baby and the devastation of it not happening like everyone else, so it is with this wisdom and knowledge that I suggest you do this with one eye on the budget and the other eye on your relationship and marriage. Don't sacrifice one to gain the other.
    This is great advice. Thank you. Yes, I do need to remember we need to Live in the moment as well as save. I think at times I can get a little obsessive about it as well. Thank you so much for this post!! I need to remember to take a deep breath, save, and still enjoy life. Life is too short!! Thanks so much!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    OP - I really feel for you! Planning for IVF can be so stressful and I really think you and hubby sound in the right place from what you have said.

Some people are just frivolous with cash. Whether its 100 bucks a week or 500 bucks a week, they manage to spend it on anything if they have it available! Honestly I spend a lot of money on stuff that would be better saved but we are in a position to be like that. I know if I had to save I could do it.

Some of the suggestions here have been good. The savings account that you cannot dip in to. I have a savings account that I have to give 1 months notice before making a withdrawal. Something like that might be good for you guys.

I liked the idea of the visual thing. Maybe make this his thing? Explain that you really want him to be on board with him saving for IVF so even if he continues with his $100 to spend, maybe he can throw the odd dollar and loose change in a jar. Maybe as he sees it adding up he will be encouraged to add more because he can physically see that the extra small parts are starting to add up.

And best of luck you! My sister went through an early menopause before she had any children and she would absolutely love a child. I am losing weight so that I can donate eggs to her IVF treatment.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    How have you saved money for other things? Cars, home, vacation? Is there something IVF specific that he is not making a priority?

The $100 a week isn't working. Time to sit down and ask him what his other ideas are. Ask him if he would like to put off saving for IVF for another year or two. Ask him if he'd like auto payments into a savings account for the IVF, something that is untouchable (except for emergencies). Ask him what the plan is for saving for things for the actual baby, if you do have one. College savings plans aside, just the base costs are enormous and very stressful if your spouse is not of the same mind as you, financially. Give him an out if he's not ready and see if he takes it.

We use personal capital's website to track our spending across all accounts, as well as investments, home, and all of that. Some people also use Mint.com, which is better if you don't own a ton of assets ( I think personal capital has a minimum net worth or something?). I like the online trackers because 1. Everything is in one place 2. We can see how little spending here and there really adds up in pie chart form (how did we spend $79 on Sunday?! Oh yeah, brunch. Dangit).
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Apologies if this has been asked before (I haven't read the whole thread) but why don't you get a loan for the IVF?

I get that saving for it is better financially as you don't have the added interest payments (depending on the loan of course) but I think it is very much human nature when you have a long term goal that short term desires can very much over ride that no matter how much you want the long term goal (not meaning to belittle your situation but like a dieter who desperately wants to lose weight but then gets confronted by a fully laden buffet table...)

At least with the loan you will be compelled to make the payments so it takes away the choice element.

It's a tale as old as time: when you are denied something be it food, money, sex or whatever you tend to crave it and then snap and binge...
  • melinda200208
    Options
    GEEZ, asking people on the internet anything shows a lack of maturity.

next off, he isn't ready to have a kid, ask him again.

The end.

Ha, I am mature! Actually, I've NEVER gotten SO many sincere and down to earth messages regarding infertility from someone than now. YOU have NO idea what someone with infertility goes through and how hard it is to talk to people about it. Internet is the best way for ME to express my feelings and get emotional support from others.
  • melinda200208
    Options
    This one is pretty small potatoes, but I have a piggy bank that we put all our two pound coins in whenever we get them. Two pound coins aren't very common in the UK, but not terribly uncommon either. So whenever we get one by chance it goes into the piggy bank. It was surprising how much it built up. The piggy we have, is designed to hold two grand when it's full.

Maybe there is some similar thing you can do. Like everyday when you get home empty all shrapnel into a piggy bank. Might not work so well in USA as you have notes for much smaller denominations (i.e. for a dollar, whereas here minimum is £5). But anyway it's just a more subtle way of saving.

Also there exists a private place in England that will give a free IVF treatment if you donate your eggs at the same time. (This is not a NHS thing) maybe there is something similar in the USA. It's called egg sharing here.
    Thank you for this info :) I truly appreciate it
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Tell him you will manage the savings if he can't stick to the plan.

PS - Adopting is cheaper and you will have a kid.
  • melinda200208
    Options
    OP - I really feel for you! Planning for IVF can be so stressful and I really think you and hubby sound in the right place from what you have said.

Some people are just frivolous with cash. Whether its 100 bucks a week or 500 bucks a week, they manage to spend it on anything if they have it available! Honestly I spend a lot of money on stuff that would be better saved but we are in a position to be like that. I know if I had to save I could do it.

Some of the suggestions here have been good. The savings account that you cannot dip in to. I have a savings account that I have to give 1 months notice before making a withdrawal. Something like that might be good for you guys.

I liked the idea of the visual thing. Maybe make this his thing? Explain that you really want him to be on board with him saving for IVF so even if he continues with his $100 to spend, maybe he can throw the odd dollar and loose change in a jar. Maybe as he sees it adding up he will be encouraged to add more because he can physically see that the extra small parts are starting to add up.

And best of luck you! My sister went through an early menopause before she had any children and she would absolutely love a child. I am losing weight so that I can donate eggs to her IVF treatment.
    Thank you for this! He gets 100 cash every week. I am going to ask him (and I know he will be into it) when he has any extra (if he does lol) to put it in his "change jar". That way he can see it build up which may encourage him as well. That is SO SO sweet of you to donate eggs to her IVF treatment. :) It's crazy how the world works. People that shouldn't have kids seam to just pop them out no problem but some that really want children and are ready have struggles.
  • Nojoke81
    Nojoke81 Posts: 131
    Options
    He gets an ALLOWANCE??

Seriously though, good luck conceiving. The sooner you're able to have a child, the sooner you'll stop treating your husband like one.
  • melinda200208
    Options
    Apologies if this has been asked before (I haven't read the whole thread) but why don't you get a loan for the IVF?

I get that saving for it is better financially as you don't have the added interest payments (depending on the loan of course) but I think it is very much human nature when you have a long term goal that short term desires can very much over ride that no matter how much you want the long term goal (not meaning to belittle your situation but like a dieter who desperately wants to lose weight but then gets confronted by a fully laden buffet table...)

At least with the loan you will be compelled to make the payments so it takes away the choice element.

It's a tale as old as time: when you are denied something be it food, money, sex or whatever you tend to crave it and then snap and binge...
    No worries, I know it is a long thread :) We've talked about refinancing our house and maybe using that money for IVF. But, we dont want to get ourselves in a financial burden. (not saying it would) We could get a loan from the facility we will be doing this at but, like you said the interest. I may have to look into it though. We would really like to avoid taking out a loan. We just thought our best option would be to pay cash. But, if we don't start saving, we may have to look into the loan. I might just bring up the loan option to my husband, I'm pretty sure that will help motivate him to save.?
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    He gets an ALLOWANCE??

Seriously though, good luck conceiving. The sooner you're able to have a child, the sooner you'll stop treating your husband like one.

^^^^ This
  • melinda200208
    Options
    He gets an ALLOWANCE??

If you would have read my whole post, you would know that WE, HE and I decided to give him 100.00 a week to spend. I dont have to justify this at ALL! This is a decision WE made together. That is part of a marriage. You decide on things together. No, I dont treat him like a child. We make all of our decisions together. Thanks though lol
  • melinda200208
    Options
    He gets an ALLOWANCE??

^^^^ This
    Not going to waste my time on you
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    He gets an ALLOWANCE??

If you would have read my whole post, you would know that WE, HE and I decided to give him 100.00 a week to spend. I dont have to justify this at ALL! This is a decision WE made together. That is part of a marriage. You decide on things together. No, I dont treat him like a child. We make all of our decisions together. Thanks though lol

Wait you have came on a public forum to look for advice about a personal situation and now claim when people don't agree that you don't have to "Justify" your decisions. logical

You're new to the internet aren't you?
  • melinda200208
    Options
    He gets an ALLOWANCE??

Wait you have came on a public forum to look for advice about a personal situation and now claim when people don't agree that you don't have to "Justify" your decisions. logical

You're new to the internet aren't you?
    I came on a public forum to look for advice, correct. I dont need to "Justify" to you because you DID NOT read my post correctly. WE decided that my husband would get 100.00 a week. I think you just want to argue.