Veganism

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Wow. Way to insinuate that anyone not vegan is somehow a bad person who won't be able to make any sort of contribution to the betterment of mankind. And this^ is partly why people have bad opinions of vegans.
    Honestly, I don't think that's where they were going with that, although frankly, it is pretty hyperbolic, divisive, and extreme if taken literally.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It can be confusing if you re considering a vegan lifestyle. One thing is everything dies. Even humans. Everyone on the planet is doing their own thing, what they think is best for them at the time. If you want to feel better and do your little part to leave the planet better for the next generation then go for vegan. So you have to take a little vitamin now and then. Its better than the other choices in the long run.

Wow. Way to insinuate that anyone not vegan is somehow a bad person who won't be able to make any sort of contribution to the betterment of mankind. And this^ is partly why people have bad opinions of vegans.
    If you've not done it, your missing out!
    It's the most delicious food you've EVER eaten!
    Having said that, I lean toward vegetarianism, but have done raw vegan before...the best food ever ever ever.
    BUT I really don't think it's a good idea to go long term. Eat some meat and raw dairy!

I've tried it and I don't feel that not being vegan is missing out. Nor do I think it's in any way accurate to say that vegan food is the most delicious food ever.
    Well, I would probably concur, had I not been exposed to truly amazing vegan cuisine, about 10 years ago.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I can see that you need some examples.

Absolutely. I'm rather old hand at raw vegan, having done a lot of work with the in house recipe book from Cafe Gratitude in SF. I'm always open to unlocking flavor of a magnitude that my tastebuds cannot handle.

Any examples you'd like to gift would be excellent.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Having said that, I lean toward vegetarianism, but have done raw vegan before...the best food ever ever ever.
    BUT I really don't think it's a good idea to go long term. Eat some meat and raw dairy!

How is vegan food something that is unattainable for non-vegans?

Can one eat this delicious food only if vegan? Does vegan amplify the flavoring? If I were to make said delicious food, would it be less delicious?
    LOL!!!
    I don't know if I feel like posting a bunch of recipes. It's not like you make a non-vegan meal, then just leave out the meat/dairy from that meal. No. It's that you take foods (veggies, nuts, grains, seeds, fruits) and prepare them in ways that you probably had not thought or tasted before. It's really impressive cuisine! I've been posting a few vegan recipes on my wall lately, because I have a favorite raw vegan recipe book out lately.
    Eating this way will really expand your menu choices.

As I said, as a meat eater, I can make all the recipes you want, but if I put a nice ribeye on top of it, it instantly becomes "better".
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Well share the recipe then!!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Would a peanut butter and jam (US: Jelly) sandwich be better with a ribeye steak on it?

Also, she's right. Vegan food is the most delicious. Because Oreos.
  • MinMin97
    Options

How is vegan food something that is unattainable for non-vegans?

Can one eat this delicious food only if vegan? Does vegan amplify the flavoring? If I were to make said delicious food, would it be less delicious?
    LOL!!!
    I don't know if I feel like posting a bunch of recipes. It's not like you make a non-vegan meal, then just leave out the meat/dairy from that meal. No. It's that you take foods (veggies, nuts, grains, seeds, fruits) and prepare them in ways that you probably had not thought or tasted before. It's really impressive cuisine! I've been posting a few vegan recipes on my wall lately, because I have a favorite raw vegan recipe book out lately.
    Eating this way will really expand your menu choices.

As I said, as a meat eater, I can make all the recipes you want, but if I put a nice ribeye on top of it, it instantly becomes "better".
    Great! I like rib eye, too. Although I seem to prefer cross-rib.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I don't have vegan recipes. I am talking about your recipes that are the most amazing food ever. All those foods you ate that led you to believe that would be better with steak to a meat eater.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Would a peanut butter and jam (US: Jelly) sandwich be better with a ribeye steak on it?

Now i've addressed this. Jam and Jelly are two different things.

Jelly is made with juice and pectin. Jam is whole fruit. Bonus: Chutney is a relish.

That said, yes, peanut butter and fig jam + ribeye would probably blow your mind. ;) Then again, remove the rib eye and it would be just as good too.
  • MinMin97
    Options

I don't have vegan recipes. I am talking about your recipes that are the most amazing food ever. All those foods you ate that led you to believe that would be better with steak to a meat eater.
    I think for you, we will also need to serve a big glass of red wine!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Jelly is made with juice and pectin. Jam is whole fruit. Bonus: Chutney is a relish.

That said, yes, peanut butter and fig jam + ribeye would probably blow your mind. ;) Then again, remove the rib eye and it would be just as good too.
    You wacky Americans. I don't even know what we'd call Jelly in that case. Probably Chemical Death Paste.
  • Honeydukes95
    Options
    I haven't read through this whole thread haha but I have recently read and heard a lot about people going vegan for health reasons and I thought I'd give my opinion. I think that if you're very passionate about the treatment of animals and you are uncomfortable with the unfairness, it's understandable to go vegan. I believe it's possible to have a healthy vegan diet as long as you watch it carefully, and you may need to take supplements.

However, I believe that people going vegan because it helps them lose weight are not correct. There are many facts about vegetarians and vegans that are a bit skewed, such as that a higher percentage of vegans are healthier than non-vegans, and that their life expectancy is longer. However, people who are vegans are automatically health conscious, so obviously a higher percentage would be healthier, while if you take every person who eats meat and animal products, some are health conscious, and some aren't. So, watching what you eat in general is what REALLY matters.

I mean, if someone is trying to tell me that things like eggs, greek yogurt, and salmon (named some of the healthiest foods) are BAD for me, haha sorry I'm not buying it!

Another argument I hear is that people shouldn't eat meat because they're given steroids and fed unhealthily, contaminating the meat with chemicals. I actually think this argument is laughable, because fruits and vegetables are grown the SAME WAY. Pesticides are horrible for you. Sure you can rinse off your fruit, but that definitely doesn't get rid of all the chemicals! This problem can obviously be solved by buying organic foods (lol too expensive for me) but you can buy organic meat and milk from grass-fed cows.
  • dbmata
    Options

You wacky Americans. I don't even know what we'd call Jelly in that case. Probably Chemical Death Paste.

No, that's colonial marmite.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea all around! I think we all (or almost all) will agree that coffee or tea is delicious. And, it's acceptable for any diet.
    [...]

I've read that Dr Esselstyn no longer allows caffienated coffee on his diet, so that version of the vegan diet tut tuts it.

I think it's time we all took a stand against this sort of extremism!!! LOL
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    vegans are mad cause they can't eat babies.
  • TraePalmer
    TraePalmer Posts: 16 Member
    Options

There's also conserves, preserves, fruit spread (when juice is used instead of sugar), etc.

I have a recipe for a habanero-apricot jelly and a pectin jelly kit in my cabinet that I've been intending to use.
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Wrong! They can eat baby vegetables.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Let's not forget the con of being a vegan is that you're going to get alot of dirty looks and people avoiding you. People think vegan and then think PETA and obnoxious people trying to control our food.

I don't think that's fair. PETA is far and away something else. In my personal experience, they're a domestic terror group.

PLUS they euthanize more than half the animals they "rescue"....and these are PERFECTLY HEALTHY and adoptable animals. They are scum.
  • dbmata
    Options

You're going to just ignore my request eh?

Fair enough.
  • MinMin97
    Options

You're going to just ignore my request eh?

Fair enough.
    I'm sorry! I missed the request....what was it?