Veganism

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well share the recipe then!!!

I don't have vegan recipes. I am talking about your recipes that are the most amazing food ever. All those foods you ate that led you to believe that would be better with steak to a meat eater.
    I think for you, we will also need to serve a big glass of red wine!

now were talkin'.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    MinMin, a recipe something amazingly delicious, and vegan. I'll make it tomorrow night for dinner along with some squash blossoms. It doesn't need to be raw vegan, I've got a glut of recipes for that, and they're fun. I'm completely open, and surprisingly, I even have some tofu sitting around. ;)

In return... here is this.
    Coconut hippy cream
    2.25 c. coconut milk – 890kcal 9.13= 10.27g protein, 96.41 = 108.46 fat, 12.7 = 14.29 carb
    .75c coconut meat - 330 kcal 3.44g protein, 32.27g fat, 11.82g carb
    .5c date, deglet noor, paste – 232 kcal 2.02 protein, .32g fat, 61.76 carb
    .5c coconut oil – 940 kcal 109g fat
    2T soy lecitihin – 208 kcal 27.2g fat

Totals: 2570 kcal
    86.33 g carbs
    13.71g protein
    265.2g fat

To make the cream, turn your dates into a seedless paste. Into a blender place all ingredients except for the soy lecithin and coconut oil. Blend on high for a few minutes, it will need to blend long enough for the liquid to become warm. Mix soy lecithin into the coconut oil (liquid, slightly warm) and pour into the blender while it is still on. Blend for two minutes longer and turn off. Pour into a container and let set up for 4 hours+.

Crust

1/2c. coconut flakes 220kcal 1.3 protein, 22g fat, 8g carb
    3⁄4 c hazelnut 353 kcal 8.4g protein, 34.17g fat, 9.4g carb
    3⁄4 c almond meal 410 kcal 15.12g protein, 35g fat, 15.5g carb
    .5c date, medjool, paste – 232 kcal 2.02 protein, .32g fat, 61.76 carb

1215 kcal
    26.84g protein
    91.5g fat
    94.65g carb

Make sure your date paste is smooth, and that the nuts are ground relatively fine. Mix all the ingredients together, and knead them until it is a homogenous mixture. Place it into a false bottom pan (which is what I used, or a cheesecake pan) and push into proper form.

Whip the coconut cream lightly, put into pie form, and then let it set again, and eat.
  • TraePalmer
    TraePalmer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea all around! I think we all (or almost all) will agree that coffee or tea is delicious. And, it's acceptable for any diet.
    [...]

I've read that Dr Esselstyn no longer allows caffienated coffee on his diet, so that version of the vegan diet tut tuts it.

I think it's time we all took a stand against this sort of extremism!!! LOL
    'Extreme' is an understatement when it comes to the Esselstyn Diet LOL. Some vegan groups try and appeal to his one nonrandomized trial to make the claim that vegans can't have heart attacks, but in reality, the Esselstyn Diet is so much more restricted than a conventional vegan diet (the diet eaten by people concerned with animal commodification, etc) that it's odd that anyone would even lump them together.

Other things Dr E's diet excludes:
    - oils of any kind (no olive oil, etc)
    - no fruit smoothies or blended drinks
    - added sugars (in any amount)
    - no high-fat plant foods for anyone with existing heart disease (nuts, avocados, seeds etc etc)

Oddly, his trial on which his book was based included fat-free dairy products, like fat-free milk and cottage cheese, which is in line with Dr Ornish's diet, so the these two experimental diets were arguably vegetarian and not vegan -- they were just extremely low in fat (<10 %). It was only after he started working with T Colin Campbell that he dropped fat-free dairy from his recommendations.

Indeed, many of the vegan RDs whose opinions and dietary advice I would actually deem to be trustworthy have stated that there is no health argument for veganism, even though it garnered them a lot of backlash.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Works for me! Been veg for three years and I feel great. Lots of energy, never get sick. I love animals. My husband and kids are not veg but they do eat a lot of veg meals (and "humanely raised" organic meat about 2-3x a week.)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Wow. Way to insinuate that anyone not vegan is somehow a bad person who won't be able to make any sort of contribution to the betterment of mankind. And this^ is partly why people have bad opinions of vegans.
    Honestly, I don't think that's where they were going with that, although frankly, it is pretty hyperbolic, divisive, and extreme if taken literally.

That's pretty much how "ethical" vegans roll.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    all creatures love life. all creatures fear death.
    therefore do not kill, or cause to kill.

nobody cares what the Buddha has to say in these parts. :cry:

You might want to research and study a bit more. Buddha did not pressure or suggest anyone be a vegetarian, nor was he strictly one himself. There are "rules" and considerations, but Budda did eat meat and Buddhist monks can and do eat meat. They also eat fish and insects (which, last I checked are living creatures too..sooooooo....)

i'm ok with my translation of the dhammapada and with my ability to interpret it. I am not fussed over the bacteria that die in my mouth when I brush my teeth. i'm no Jain. the Buddha did not pressure anyone to do anything, I know that much. "do not kill or cause to kill" means what it means to me.
  • zenrunner1
    zenrunner1 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am vegan because I oppose the murder of nonhuman creatures for any reason. I do not believe in the theory that plants have feelings.

So you're okay with murdering humans, then? ;)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    MinMin, a recipe something amazingly delicious, and vegan. I'll make it tomorrow night for dinner along with some squash blossoms. It doesn't need to be raw vegan, I've got a glut of recipes for that, and they're fun. I'm completely open, and surprisingly, I even have some tofu sitting around. ;)

In return... here is this.
    Coconut hippy cream
    2.25 c. coconut milk – 890kcal 9.13= 10.27g protein, 96.41 = 108.46 fat, 12.7 = 14.29 carb
    .75c coconut meat - 330 kcal 3.44g protein, 32.27g fat, 11.82g carb
    .5c date, deglet noor, paste – 232 kcal 2.02 protein, .32g fat, 61.76 carb
    .5c coconut oil – 940 kcal 109g fat
    2T soy lecitihin – 208 kcal 27.2g fat

Totals: 2570 kcal
    86.33 g carbs
    13.71g protein
    265.2g fat

To make the cream, turn your dates into a seedless paste. Into a blender place all ingredients except for the soy lecithin and coconut oil. Blend on high for a few minutes, it will need to blend long enough for the liquid to become warm. Mix soy lecithin into the coconut oil (liquid, slightly warm) and pour into the blender while it is still on. Blend for two minutes longer and turn off. Pour into a container and let set up for 4 hours+.

Crust

1/2c. coconut flakes 220kcal 1.3 protein, 22g fat, 8g carb
    3⁄4 c hazelnut 353 kcal 8.4g protein, 34.17g fat, 9.4g carb
    3⁄4 c almond meal 410 kcal 15.12g protein, 35g fat, 15.5g carb
    .5c date, medjool, paste – 232 kcal 2.02 protein, .32g fat, 61.76 carb

1215 kcal
    26.84g protein
    91.5g fat
    94.65g carb

Make sure your date paste is smooth, and that the nuts are ground relatively fine. Mix all the ingredients together, and knead them until it is a homogenous mixture. Place it into a false bottom pan (which is what I used, or a cheesecake pan) and push into proper form.

Whip the coconut cream lightly, put into pie form, and then let it set again, and eat.
    I’m impressed, complete with macros!!

Okay, I’ll type out a recipe. This is raw vegan. Although I like any vegetarian style.

***Sweet and Sour Fried Nuggets***

4 carrots
    ¼ yellow onion
    1.5T olive oil
    1C sesame seeds (grind them in your coffee grinder after measuring)
    1T honey
    2 dried figs, soaked (or 3 dates)
    1tsp unrefined salt
    ¼ t cayenne pepper
    3T apple cider vinegar
    2tsp cumin powder
    ½ t black pepper
    2 tsp soy sauce
    2T water
    2 T gound flax seed
    2 tsp black sesame seeds (optional)

In your food processor with blade, process the carrots and onion well. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. Oil a mesh dehydrator tray with olive oil. Spoon teaspoonful-size mounds on to a tray by sliding your finger behind the mixture and flicking it gently. Dehydrate at 105 degrees until desired crispiness (8 hours or more)

***The Sweet and Sour Sauce!!***

In your blender:
    Juice of 3 big oranges
    2 soaked figs
    ½ C raisins
    1 clove garlic
    ¼ of a jalapeno (not the seeds)
    Unrefined salt to taste (½-1 tsp)
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    ¼ C apple cider vinegar
    2 cm piece of raw ginger

Blend until creamy. If it’s too runny, replace the blender top and turn it on, add in a handful of raisins and/or a drizzle of olive oil while blending to thicken. You can also add in ½ tsp cumin powder and a dash of cayenne if you like.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    all creatures love life. all creatures fear death.
    therefore do not kill, or cause to kill.

nobody cares what the Buddha has to say in these parts. :cry:

You might want to research and study a bit more. Buddha did not pressure or suggest anyone be a vegetarian, nor was he strictly one himself. There are "rules" and considerations, but Budda did eat meat and Buddhist monks can and do eat meat. They also eat fish and insects (which, last I checked are living creatures too..sooooooo....)

i'm ok with my translation of the dhammapada and with my ability to interpret it. I am not fussed over the bacteria that die in my mouth when I brush my teeth. i'm no Jain. the Buddha did not pressure anyone to do anything, I know that much. "do not kill or cause to kill" means what it means to me.

So you drop something he said..something he taught as a means to back a dietary means of life that he himself did not promote or really encourage...while stating that no one where you are cares about his teachings...then fall back on, "I know what it means to me?"

Well. Okay then.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

So you drop something he said..something he taught as a means to back a dietary means of life that he himself did not promote or really encourage...while stating that no one where you are cares about his teachings...then fall back on, "I know what it means to me?"

Well. Okay then.

PikaKnight used LOGIC! It's not very effective!

LOL
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Well. Okay then.

PikaKnight used LOGIC! It's not very effective!

LOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • nykismile
    nykismile Posts: 198
    Options
    tumblr_lkxhk0cy7b1qfaau9.gif

Yes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Only reason I'm not a chef anymore is because I really like money.

I'll give yours a try. :)
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    some people believe you shouldn't eat any animal you couldn't kill yourself...i only eat fish, eggs and chicken...not sure i could kill a chicken though.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Just a simple question from someone who is still in the learning process. I eat cottage cheese, eggs, butter, fish etc but for the life of me I just don't like the TASTE of animal flesh or shell fish. I simply can't eat flesh, I gag when confronted with all the steaks laid out at the butchers, all the chickens looking like infants. It's nothing to do with how I was brought up, my entire family ate meat and my children and grandchildren eat meat too. I prepare meat at family gatherings, but don't like to. Am I a throwback? Is it possible that a few of us are actually predisposed that way. Just a question for some of you much more learned ones.

I was never a fan of meat. My parents used to make me eat it when I was little. We often had tacos and I would spill the meat out, or leave all my meatloaf. It was rarely the focus of my meals. Often had vegetarian meals without realizing it.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hard to say everything I'd like to say without sounding like I'm anti-doctor, which I'm not. Doctors are not to blame because nutrition is nearly non existent in their 8 to 12 years of training. But that doesn't change the fact that they are mostly ignorant to nutrition. If I want to know how to set a bone or stitch up a laceration I'm calling a doctor. If I want to know what optimum nutrition is, a doctor is the last person on my list to call.

I was a laugh at the vegan guy for many years. All that time I continued to gain weight and my family members continued to die. Diatebes, cancer, heart attacks etc. I immersed myself in everything nutrition related I could find. In today's world being ignorant isn't an excuse. Many will warn you of the dangers of believing things you read on the internet but if you are serious and put in the time you will soon see what is crazy and what is legitimate.

The evidence of health dangers from animal products is no longer in doubt. Now that there are many HUMAN studies that confirm all of the previous theories, data studies and animal studies the conclusions are settled. Animal protein causes heart disease. Animal protein turns on cancer cells. Animal fats cause diabetes. End of story.

There are also about 10 documentaries that take anywhere from 8 to 20 people in each one and totally reverse their diseases in 21 to 30 days. Diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease and more. When this can so easily be duplicated by anyone now it seems silly to still be debating it.

As I mentioned earlier I was a laugh at vegans guy. For a long time. I am now a mostly raw food vegan. I have never felt better in my entire life and I can't imagine going back to eating animal products. The thought of it frightens me.

There is only one known deficiency with being a Vegan. B-12. Interesting enough about 40% of all meat eaters are also B-12 deficient so it's kind of ironic they label this as a Vegan only issue. I have several meat eating family members who get B-12 shots monthly. My mom is one of them. I also get a B-12 shot monthly.

But my diet is the problem? And their diet isn't the problem? Ok. Sure.

I challenge you if you are interested to try it for 7 days. It's hard to get enough calories on raw food which is why most people fail at it. So plan to drink mostly smoothies to help you with the calories. Have a 1000 calories breakfast smoothies with lots of bananas and coconut water. For lunch eat as much fruit as you can possibly hold. Bowls and bowls of it. For dinner have more fruit and a huge salad. If you hate salads then have another fruit smoothie with your greens in it. Another 1000 calories for dinner.

You won't crave sweets. You won't crave junk. You will feel amazing.

God Bless.

edit: I should add there are man Vegan who are eating just as bad as meat eaters. There are so many 'vegan' foods out there that are horrible. High fat. High additive. etc etc. There is a huge difference in being a Vegan and being a raw vegan. You can be pretty healthy as a Vegan if you eat right. You can also hurt your health a ton if you are a junk Vegan. So as with anything you must avoid generalizations.

I had been a vegan for a little over a month before I couldn't dodge the meat my parents shoved down my throat anymore. Now I am pretty much an organic (albeit processed) "most of the time" lacto vegetarian. Not that any of that matters, but I most of the time don't eat meat or dairy. Dairy tends to make me nauseated (but ice cream you so good!) and after something as simple as switching to almond milk, some of my health problems (like I used to have this terrible chronic vomiting. And no I've never been pregnant,) just vanished.

I'm not ready to jump back in yet, but I've thought about it and this is one of the reasons why. The other reason, besides "Omg cute animals are suffering ooohhh noooo" is the fact that I've never really been that attracted to meat. A little turkey or chicken here or there, or the rare tuna steak cravings are the only things keeping me on this side of the fence. Sorry, but I ****ing love tuna. I know it has mercury in it though. :(
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Only reason I'm not a chef anymore is because I really like money.

I'll give yours a try. :)
    Let me know when you try it!!