Does anyone else dislike exercise?

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have long held a belief that people with naturally more muscles are more likely to enjoy physical exercise, similarly people with not much don't. Do people agree or disagree with this idea?

funny you should bring that up

i have long had a belief that people with a positive outlook are more likely to enjoy more things, and people with a negative outlook will Never. Be. Happy.

I agree with this. When I first started...it was hard. I was over weight...out of shape...couldn't hardly make it around the block. A year later I love being able to go out for a 3 to 5 mile walk...hike over rough terrain...take paths that lead me up and down hills. Just knowing that I can do these things...
  • jjss5500
    jjss5500 Posts: 50
    Options
    Nobody loves exercise. We do it for the benefits. It's part of being an adult, doing things we'd rather not.

That said, I am never sorry after a work out. But I am almost never pumped to go beforehand. It's always the reward afterward that makes me glad I did it.

This.
  • tomandshell
    tomandshell Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill and hated it. Then I bought a new bike and loved it. I always hated exercise and now I hate it when a day passes without going on a ride--hot or cold, rain or shine. My 90 minute bicycle route is now a 60 minute route because I've gradually gotten healthier.

So I think the trick is to try different things until you find a type of exercise that works for you. I would never set foot into a gym but enjoyed a 60 mile bike ride a few weeks ago. I like the fresh air and changing scenery.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree that people with a negative outlook enjoy fewer things. We are tough customers. Not easy to please!
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have long held a belief that people with naturally more muscles are more likely to enjoy physical exercise, similarly people with not much don't. Do people agree or disagree with this idea?

Disagree, don't we all have the same muscles? LOL

I just think that people who don't enjoy physical activity have just not found "their" activity. Example: I HATE cycling and weight lifting. But if that were the only exercises I've ever tried, I'd have the impression that I hate exercise.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

But some specifically exercise to get more muscles and actually enjoy the process. I don't know what it means to be naturally muscular - my body would have certainly disagreed when I was sitting on my *kitten* all day?
  • FletcherSymons
    Options
    haven't read the whole topic so sorry if this has been said. I used to run every day and hated it! in-fact id dreaded it! - Now i have a bike i love it! - Biking is so much more fun.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Did I really see someone say, if you think you enjoy exercising, you are delusional or crazy??

That's one of the more ignorant posts I've seen in the forums...and there are plenty to choose from!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I stand by the post.

People aren't made to exercise. Exercise is a means to an end.

People aren't made to eat food.

It is a means to an end.

The point of all humans are to reproduce.

Everything else serves that purpose.

Even if it takes delusions or insanity to serve that purpose.

Of course, all people who say they love exercise aren't crazy- not even half of them. :)

By far most are in a delusional state conditioned by culture, or have a secondary objective, i.e. get people to enroll in their work-out class.

People who are rational know that exercise is not fun. But they need to to look good and be healthy.

We are talking repetitive exercise here and not a competitive sport like tennis or golf.

I kind of get what you are saying here (I think) and I agree with you in part (lawd help me...)

I don't like they way the weight loss industry has seemingly taken ownership over exercise. It seems that nowadays the main reason for doing exercise is not the fitness benefits it confers, the joy of the game, the spiritual and mental sense of achievement or learning new skills and achieving your fitness goals.

No, it is the calorie burn...

I don't see why you can't do both. I've dumped classes and other exercise activities for no longer being fun, and yet others because the burn per my HRM wasn't worth what I was putting into it (IMO). There's nothing wrong with analyzing this data and using it to make a decision on your fitness regimen. Whereas some believe fitness must be accomplished for fitness' sakes, I am absolutely a believer in using exercise to get a calorie deficit and achieve [further] weight loss
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Disagree. When I started exercising I was pitifully weak from a dozen years of chronic illness. I had very little muscle. That's why I loved lifting so much-- it was the first thing that ever made me feel physically strong.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I don't see why you can't do both. I've dumped classes and other exercise activities for no longer being fun, and yet others because the burn per my HRM wasn't worth what I was putting into it (IMO). There's nothing wrong with analyzing this data and using it to make a decision on your fitness regimen. Whereas some believe fitness must be accomplished for fitness' sakes, I am absolutely a believer in using exercise to get a calorie deficit and achieve [further] weight loss

Sure, there's no harm with considering both and I certainly have nothing against that.

However, what happens if the main or only focus of engaging in any form of exercise is the calorie burn (a message very much pushed by the weight loss industry to sell lousy products)?

You get "Oh, I don't want to do weights because the calorie burn is too low" (never mind the fact I am now stronger and more capable of living my life happily without injuring myself) or "Oh, I don't want to go for a walk because the calorie burn is too low" (never mind the fact it is great stress relief and brings me mental focus) or "of, I don't want to go for a swim because it's not HIIT bro and the calorie burn is too low (never mind the fact of the happiness swimming with my kids and being able to splash around with them brings...)

Finally what happens to your motivation if your only goal in exercising is for weight loss and calorie burn and you're successful in losing the weight? As if by magic your motivation disappears "why do I need to exercise any more I am slim. Wooooo!"

What happens when people stop doing the things that made them successful in the first place? Hello weight regain....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Sure, there's no harm with considering both and I certainly have nothing against that.

However, what happens if the main or only focus of engaging in any form of exercise is the calorie burn (a message very much pushed by the weight loss industry to sell lousy products)?

You get "Oh, I don't want to do weights because the calorie burn is too low" (never mind the fact I am now stronger and more capable of living my life happily without injuring myself) or "Oh, I don't want to go for a walk because the calorie burn is too low" (never mind the fact it is great stress relief and brings me mental focus) or "of, I don't want to go for a swim because it's not HIIT bro and the calorie burn is too low (never mind the fact of the happiness swimming with my kids and being able to splash around with them brings...)

Finally what happens to your motivation if your only goal in exercising is for weight loss and calorie burn and you're successful in losing the weight? As if by magic your motivation disappears "why do I need to exercise any more I am slim. Wooooo!"

What happens when people stop doing the things that made them successful in the first place? Hello weight regain....

I nod so vigorously in agreement with this post that I may have given myself whiplash...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think what's important is to find an exercise that you like. All my friends do running, but personally I dislike it a lot. I prefer walking or bicycle, so I do those when there's good weather. Since I can't rely all my exercise routine on the weather, I also do taiko (japanese drums). It's not conventional and not as effective as going to the gym, but I enjoy it a lot, and that helps me being constant with it. So just try to find what YOU like and enjoy, Even if it's not the "perfect" exercise for losing weight, it's better than doing none or doing something you dislike and will eventually quit.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not effective". Effective depends on goals. Never underestimate what you do based on somebody else's goals.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I'm naturally an ectomorph. I tend to enjoy endurance exercises, which is consistent with that. Now that I've put in the work to build additional muscle, I feel a sense if exhilaration and freedom in being able to do things ( especially upper body activities) that I haven't been successful at in the past.
  • 7deadly
    7deadly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My advice is to find something you love.
    I'm much happier cycling than running- so I do a couple of hundred km a week on the bike and only 10or so running.
    It doesn't matter what is the most efficient-super-amazing-fat-burning exercise if you don't enjoy doing it- because you won't.

So, no I don't dislike exercise- I ljust love some forms of it more than others.
  • NY_Tigress
    NY_Tigress Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    " I hate exercising and it makes me feel better. Dammit."... oh my! this is exactly the way I feel too! lol I push my way thru... sweat like a banshee... then when I reach the end of my 30 mins. of cardio, I give a whoop like I just won a wrestling match! =0)
  • sam_will40
    sam_will40 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

I am not athletic - horrible at sports (tennis, volleyball, dance). Not flexible at all (yoga, gymnastics). I dread going to the gym (and yes, i do usually feel better afterwards, but those first 15 minutes are torture). I walk the dog, and occasionally jog (not run) because it doesn't seem like I can mess that up too badly.

The times in my life i was the most fit, were when I worked in the same area where I lived; I walked to work, everyday. In fact, I used to not own a car. For 4 years, i was pretty fit, and never stepped foot inside a gym - all because of a 20-25 minute walk to work each day.

I'm really excited right now, because for the first time in 15 years, I just took a job (starting in September) where I can finally walk to work.

So what I'm saying is that I know how you feel - I dread "exercise" too. It feels like extra work -something that has to be done (along with my full time job, the dishes, making dinner, taking the kids to soccer, unclogging the kitchen sink, and just about as enjoyable). But walking to work isn't "exercise" in my mind - just a part of my day.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's all about how you approach it.

1387750393_bike_flip_trick_on_a_exercise_ball.gif
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's all about how you approach it.

1387750393_bike_flip_trick_on_a_exercise_ball.gif

I want to buy that man a pint...
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options

funny you should bring that up

i have long had a belief that people with a positive outlook are more likely to enjoy more things, and people with a negative outlook will Never. Be. Happy.

:love: :love: :love:
    For me: Getting Positive = Happy, Happy, Happy!