• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's all about how you approach it.

1387750393_bike_flip_trick_on_a_exercise_ball.gif

I want to buy that man a pint...

Pints all around!

giphy.gif

I can confirm I would also take her for a pint...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's all about how you approach it.

1387750393_bike_flip_trick_on_a_exercise_ball.gif

I want to buy that man a pint...

Pints all around!

giphy.gif

Damn. and I can't even pull off a frog stand.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I don't care for exercise either. The key is to distract yourself. Go for a walk with a friend, join a sports team, etc. If you focus on the conversation or simply getting the ball to a net then you're not thinking "I hate this. I hate this. I hate this..." over and over again.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    i love to exercise. not because it's going to piss people off but because I like it. Sometimes it's hard to start the engine but once it's warmed up, I can go for a while.

AND, I like the feeling of my body gettign stronger and the little aches in the muscles that you didn't think you used.

YEP, I love exercise.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Monday-Friday I walk to work (45mins) and run home (30 mins). On the weekend I do hot yoga. Why? Because one of my favourite feelings ever is coming home from a run or yoga class, dripping in sweat with my muscles twitching, and taking a cold shower. The combination of endorphins, cold water, and the sense of accomplishment I feel is euphoric. I truly do love to exercise - plus it is great therapy for my anxiety. I am medication-free and loving life. :flowerforyou:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

I am not athletic - horrible at sports (tennis, volleyball, dance). Not flexible at all (yoga, gymnastics).
    Hmm, if you look at instagram, many yogi(ni)s are posting their progress photos from a year ago and today to show how much more "bendable" they are now. They practice every day, which is kind of the point with many activities one can do.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    people with naturally more muscles

WTF--is that the cousin of "naturally skinny"??

as a 'naturally skinny', formerly sedentary twig of a girl, I started with weenie muscles and hated using them. as day by day I grow more beastly, using them is undeniably getting to be more fun.

...and as for the
    hostility
    I feel when i'm 'boarding: I love that ish. Ever been afraid of a 120-lb girl? How about one that's barreling down the sidewalk at 10-20 mph with supreme b!tchface?? I turn into superc___ when i'm 'boarding and I love it. :devil:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

No, it is the calorie burn...

I don't see why you can't do both. I've dumped classes and other exercise activities for no longer being fun, and yet others because the burn per my HRM wasn't worth what I was putting into it (IMO). There's nothing wrong with analyzing this data and using it to make a decision on your fitness regimen. Whereas some believe fitness must be accomplished for fitness' sakes, I am absolutely a believer in using exercise to get a calorie deficit and achieve [further] weight loss

Sure, there's no harm with considering both and I certainly have nothing against that.

However, what happens if the main or only focus of engaging in any form of exercise is the calorie burn (a message very much pushed by the weight loss industry to sell lousy products)?

You get "Oh, I don't want to do weights because the calorie burn is too low" (never mind the fact I am now stronger and more capable of living my life happily without injuring myself) or "Oh, I don't want to go for a walk because the calorie burn is too low" (never mind the fact it is great stress relief and brings me mental focus) or "of, I don't want to go for a swim because it's not HIIT bro and the calorie burn is too low (never mind the fact of the happiness swimming with my kids and being able to splash around with them brings...)

Finally what happens to your motivation if your only goal in exercising is for weight loss and calorie burn and you're successful in losing the weight? As if by magic your motivation disappears "why do I need to exercise any more I am slim. Wooooo!"

What happens when people stop doing the things that made them successful in the first place? Hello weight regain....

As we know, while weight gain may be correlated to your chosen lifestyle, it has everything to do with eating more calories than you burn. Otherwise how would you explain people who play (and love!) high school or college sports, or playing ball with their buddies, quit this activity and gain horrendous amounts of weight? After all, they did it for the love of exercise, why didn't that magically allow them remain permanently thin?

Your approach may be completely different to someone else's, but I don't see how that means you couldn't get the same results. Yes, some people prefer exercise that takes them *away* from the kiddos. That has no bearing on how effective it makes their parenting or their exercise, now does it?
  • joshcb15n
    joshcb15n Posts: 17
    Options
    I hate exercise more than almost anything in the world. I just have to find something that motivates me way more than hatred of exercise.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Steve, you have a lot of energy about this. Makes me wonder if we define 'exercise' differently.

I think there is a difference between exercising and being active. 'Exercising' just-to-burn-calories-so-you-won't-look-fat does sound like painful drudgery. But doing something active because you enjoy it is quite different.

And everyone enjoys different 'active-ities.' Free to be you and me -- that kind of thing

No "delusional" people required -- just people who have different ideas of what is fun.

Exercise to me is not sports, or what you do in the course of your day- like delivering the mail or doing manual labor.

Exercise is repetitive activity with no other purpose than to burn off calories for weight loss.

No other animal in creation does this.

I remember seeing a story about penguins at Seaworld swimming around their pool very fast for 24 hours, but I doubt they were consciously trying to lose weight.

If you LOVE to exercise the way I have defined it, then there is something wrong with you.

Think about it.

It is anti-evolutionary in that it serves no useful purpose. Exercise has NOT been shown to extend the average life-span in the normal-weighted person.

People who don't exercise live to procreate just as well as those do.

So if it is natural to LOVE to exercise, then why stop? Just keep on exercising and loving it more and more and burn more energy and expend more calories UNTIL YOU DIE!!!

See?

So it should be natural NOT to love to exercise- unless there is a goal you want to achieve that you LOVE that trumps nature- like looking in the mirror and not seeing a fat person.

But my real point is that there are other ways to lose weight. Society tells you false information about food, the need for food, and the necessity of a morning meal. This throws off one's hunger "set-point" resulting in far too many people in obesity.

It is a boon to the fitness industry and breakfast food companies, however.

Well I think "Healthy Eating" is eating foods that you think are "good for you" but taste bad. Like coconut water or lima beans.

No animal in the wild eats foods that they think are disgusting.

Nobody in their right mind would want to do healthy eating the way I defined it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1424733/

"Physical activity, exercise, and physical fitness: definitions and distinctions for health-related research."
    Physical activity is defined as any bodily movement produced by skeletal muscles that results in energy expenditure.

Exercise is a subset of physical activity that is planned, structured, and repetitive and has as a final or an intermediate objective the improvement or maintenance of physical fitness.

Physical fitness is a set of attributes that are either health- or skill-related.

By this definition: running is my sport, which I do partially for physical fitness and wholly for love. It is planned, structured and repetitive. It is exercise.

I also do body weight exercises as cross-training (both skill-related in terms of running and health-related in terms of body comp). It is planned, structured and repetitive. I enjoy pushing myself and seeing growth in what I'm able to do.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people who love working out, doing dvd programs etc... 1.5 year later I still don't. I force myself to do it, typically really doing half of it because I can't keep up. I've tried lots of different things. . None of that 'exercise high'. At this point I realize I just don't want it hard enough.

Is it just me?

No it is not just you, I often struggle to get myself to exercise. I think, however, that there is a Huge difference in the way you feel between trying to exercise when you are at a large caloric deficit (underfed) and trying to exercise when you are eating at maintenance or even surplus.

My guess is that those who truly enjoy their exercise and get that high are often people who are eating a lot more and therefore don't feel as run-down by it.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Steve, you have a lot of energy about this. Makes me wonder if we define 'exercise' differently.

I think there is a difference between exercising and being active. 'Exercising' just-to-burn-calories-so-you-won't-look-fat does sound like painful drudgery. But doing something active because you enjoy it is quite different.

And everyone enjoys different 'active-ities.' Free to be you and me -- that kind of thing

No "delusional" people required -- just people who have different ideas of what is fun.

Exercise to me is not sports, or what you do in the course of your day- like delivering the mail or doing manual labor.

Exercise is repetitive activity with no other purpose than to burn off calories for weight loss.

I remember seeing a story about penguins at Seaworld swimming around their pool very fast for 24 hours, but I doubt they were consciously trying to lose weight.

If you LOVE to exercise the way I have defined it, then there is something wrong with you.

Think about it.

It is anti-evolutionary in that it serves no useful purpose. Exercise has NOT been shown to extend the average life-span in the normal-weighted person.

So if it is natural to LOVE to exercise, then why stop? Just keep on exercising and loving it more and more and burn more energy and expend more calories UNTIL YOU DIE!!!

See?

So it should be natural NOT to love to exercise- unless there is a goal you want to achieve that you LOVE that trumps nature- like looking in the mirror and not seeing a fat person.

But my real point is that there are other ways to lose weight. Society tells you false information about food, the need for food, and the necessity of a morning meal. This throws off one's hunger "set-point" resulting in far too many people in obesity.

Bolded to show you don't really know anything about it.

What if I'm engaged in a 6 month progressive programme to build muscle in a calorie surplus?

What if I'm engaged in a three month peaking and tapering programme to place highly in a half marathon?

What if I'm engaged in a 7 year effort culminating in earning a black belt?

Which one of those is a repetitive effort with no other purpose than to burn calories for weight loss?

Sad. Just sad...
  • likitisplit
    Options

Think about it.

See?

Bolded to show you don't really know anything about it.

What if I'm engaged in a 6 month progressive programme to build muscle in a calorie surplus?

What if I'm engaged in a three month peaking and tapering programme to place highly in a half marathon?

What if I'm engaged in a 7 year effort culminating in earning a black belt?

Which one of those is a repetitive effort with no other purpose than to burn calories for weight loss?

Sad. Just sad...

Then...you are a penguin.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Think about it.

See?

You really are mind meltingly shallow you know that. You are also wrong. Animals in fact engage in physically strenuous activities for the love of it all the time. It's true that Animal's don't think 'Oh I have to burn off more calories' But that actually adds MORE credence to the Animals enjoy exercise argument not less. Animals act to fulfill their desires and natural drives. And in un natural confines they will act to move their bodies. Why do you think the hamsters use their little wheel?

And also wtf exercise until you die? We are not broken machines doc. Just because we love food doesn't mean we eat until our stomachs explode. Just because we love to sing doesn't mean we do so till our throat tears. There is almost nothing enjoyable we can do that doesn't have limits. That's a fascicle and self serving argument.

Reducing the rich interesting creatures that humans are to mere vessels for DNA is perhaps the saddest thing of all. Even if there is nothing spiritual about the universe. Which I don't really believe. That still means that DNA has no more purpose to exist than any individual human being.

In fact to the human in question in that case DNA is almost like a parasite. Hanging onto our life and burdening us with children to take care of until we wear out and die preserving it's prerogative. It tempts us into a life of service and slavery with the reproductive urge that is ultimately of no benefit to us whatsoever. This argument is absolutely RIDICULOUS of course. But no more so than the one you seem to ascribe to.
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    try and get pay back from your exercise being cheered on at a finishing line, a nice feeling when hula hooping of being able to suck in your belly, anything that doesn't remind you of the hard work it takes!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    There is nothing politically correct about biology, the basics of metabolics, or the brutal process of evolution.

Mother nature could care less what any of us think, or how fulfilling our lives are- except she wants as many babies from us as possible.

It is a cruel world.

Nah. She wants a survivable number of babies, otherwise we'd reproduce asexually.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i generally hate exercise. There, I said it.
  • DragonFly_
    DragonFly_ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use to try to find every excuse NOT to go to the gym, but I was always happy when I did go. Now, I run during my lunch break at work at least 2-4 times a week (sometimes I will take one of their Pilates or cross fit classes if the weather is bad). Gives me a chance to get away, and clear my mind. I work in the legal department, so trust me, I almost crave that feeling that I am running away from work (even though its only for a little while)