Dating someone 22 years older?

Options

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 year old daughter and I would have some serious doubts and questions if she brought someone home my age. The thing is, like someone else said, you still have a lot of life to experience and a lot of growing to do. He's done it and been there.

So I'll say to you what I would say to her.

What does a 20 year old bring to the table in a relationship like that? Aside from the obvious. What is he getting out of this (again, aside from the obvious)? I love my daughter dearly, but she's not on the same emotional and philosophical plane as I am so I can't imagine how you can "connect" on all those levels with someone who is an entirely different generation than you.

What happens when you're 40 and he's 62 and getting ready to retire?

On the other hand, I don't know you and I don't know him so I can't make a good guess on this. But my gut reaction is hell no.
  • Spicysausage2
    Options
    Usually when you "fall in love" with someone you don't think about it like you would think about buying a house or a car
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    Usually when you "fall in love" with someone you don't think about it like you would think about buying a house or a car

Are you only supposed to date people you fall in love with? (this is not sarcasm, I'm really wondering)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just NOTICED! I have a kid around your age and even I haven't had to sleep with 42 yr old yet, why should you?

Gender equality level eleventy!!! Sexual revolution FTW!!

#nocougar
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    #1 I'm 38 and there's only one reason I would "date" someone 20 years old.

#2 As a father to a 15 year old daughter I wouldn't approve of her at your age "dating" someone 22 years older because of my #1 statement.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Honestly, do what you like. Keep expectations low. Make sure your reasons are healthy and the dynamic respectful and equitable. Forget the naysayers.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Also, that is good advice for ANY relationship.
  • horsewhisper91
    horsewhisper91 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You're the only one who can make that final decision on this topic. It does not matter what others say about the relationship. Your opinion over your life is all that matters, not others. They can't live it for you.
    My sister, when she was about your age was about to marry someone who was 20 yrs older than her. Sad story over why it did not work out. But she loved him and my family accepted that.
  • Spicysausage2
    Options

Are you only supposed to date people you fall in love with? (this is not sarcasm, I'm really wondering)

Sure date all you want but you have to ask yourself "what's the point"?
  • arnostbilej
    Options
    I know I'm an adult and I shouldn't care what the public thinks. I was honestly just asking since I don't have parents to ask and I didn't know who else to ask.

I guess the question should have been more like 'if you had a 20 year old daughter would you approve of her dating a 42yo'

I'd be tempted to take him hunting

This, and without telling anyone about it.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    When I was 22 I dated someone who was 38. He was literally 2 years younger than my mom.

We definitely had a lot of fun together in lots of ways, but in the long run, he had LOADS of baggage (although he had no kids or ex-wife). We just weren't on the same page and were never going to be.

The biggest thing is -- you're still growing up and he's grown. That's where the difference lies. You change the most between the ages of 18-24 (at least I did and many of my peers did).

If he has no kids or wife at 38, I think that screams problem.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you feel like there is something to be worrying about, remember that there are tons of guys your age and at your level to be dating. I know some people that dated much older men when they were young and they felt sad when they got older that the guy kind of stole their youth. They were with him, instead of having fun the way a 20 year old should.

Okay that is a really good point. This is prob the best advice I've heard all night. Really makes me consider because I could be spending time with kids my age on campus or with him

You guys make some great substitute parents *thumbs up*

Glad that we can help! :flowerforyou:
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Sure date all you want but you have to ask yourself "what's the point"?
    So if you only date someone you already fell in love with. How do you get to that point with out being in a serious one on one relationship?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Also, the fact that you don't have parents to turn to tells me you may be more vulnerable to this guy in a way that isn't really good for a dating relationship.
  • the__great__beyond
    Options
    Also, the fact that you don't have parents to turn to tells me you may be more vulnerable to this guy in a way that isn't really good for a dating relationship.

Thanks, Dr. Phil

JK
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Thanks, Dr. Phil

JK

:laugh:

I was young once
  • arnostbilej
    Options
    When I was 22 I dated someone who was 38. He was literally 2 years younger than my mom.

We definitely had a lot of fun together in lots of ways, but in the long run, he had LOADS of baggage (although he had no kids or ex-wife). We just weren't on the same page and were never going to be.

The biggest thing is -- you're still growing up and he's grown. That's where the difference lies. You change the most between the ages of 18-24 (at least I did and many of my peers did).

If he has no kids or wife at 38, I think that screams problem.

Wait, why does that scream problem? There could be a lot of reasons why someone in their late 30's/early 40's has never been married or had kids. I personally would prefer a partner without baggage.
  • skinnymini2552
    Options
    Haha nooooo way...but then again it's all about personal preference isn't it? I'm 20 and honestly wouldn't think of dating someone past 35, and even that's a little too old for me I think. However circumstances change and maybe age really doesn't end up mattering at all :)
  • the__great__beyond
    Options

Thanks, Dr. Phil

JK

I was young once

you look like you're still waiting for puberty ;p
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Thanks, Dr. Phil

JK

I was young once

you look like you're still waiting for puberty ;p

Uuum, I like looking young, but not that young!!

Also, I am thinking we have had this conversation before.