not-that-heavy girls trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Tawnee19
    Options
    Hello everyone. :) I'm 5'2'' and weigh 135 lbs. I want to lose about 15-20 pounds. I'm already happy with how my body looks. I just want to get more in shape and become more healthy. Also, I'm hovering around the overweight line so that's why I want to go back to weighing around 115 lbs.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm glad I'm doing MFP and it is working (slowly), but it is so darn hard to stay under my calorie count on days when I don't work out and can subtract points! My calorie limit is 1200. I know I can eat more when I work out, but on days when I don't have time it is SO difficult to only eat 1200 calories...that isn't a lot at all.

Anyone have tips on how to stay that low?
  • ctchicky
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    I, like alot of you i've seen, am 5'2" and weight about 140lbs. Not only would I like to lose about 15 lbs but I would like to get rid of the flab that I have from having been alot heavier before and from having a child (12 years ago). How does one go about firming the mid-section?
    BTW - My son got the "Let's Dance 2" game for the Wii for Christmas. I have had to dance everyday! It is so cool and such a great workout. After 2-3 songs I feel my shirt sticking to my back. It's awesome!
    Good luck everyone
  • luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'm glad to see that there is so much activity here. I'm so excited that I made it thru the holidays without any gain. I've been maintaining my weight sense November 1st and I was worried that this was all too new to get through my first holiday. But I guess I've learned more than I thought. I was only over my maintenance calories by a couple hundred each day, except christmas day, and I got on the scale today and I'm holding firm at 115. I couldn't be happier. You can do this ladies and gentlemen and you can maintain it too. Thank you all for all the support.

Paige, my goal is 115 and I was wondering how many cals you eat to maintain that weight. I'm kinda wanting to know in advance.
  • musicjunkie1982
    Options
    Another girl here! I'm 5'7" and 138.6 but my goal is 128-130. I've always had really thick thighs and I'm working out and eating right to try to get the jiggle to take a hike.

This time last year I was 160lbs, but P90X helped me get down to what I am now. I just need to keep going! I found the MyFitnessPal app to be extremely helpful (and addictive) in accomplishing my goals!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I got a groupon. I am so addicted to groupons.

Yea to groupon, teambuy, wag jag and deal find (my personal fav)

My gym membership actually came from deal find, $99 for a year, regularly $450. The gym is having a $299 New Years sale now so I still saved $200+!
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    I got a groupon. I am so addicted to groupons.

Yea to groupon, teambuy, wag jag and deal find (my personal fav)

My gym membership actually came from deal find, $99 for a year, regularly $450. The gym is having a $299 New Years sale now so I still saved $200+!

WOW!! the deals! I already get the living social deals sent to me by email but these other sites are great! thanks ladies :happy:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    yeah, I had not heard of teambuy, wag jag and deal. I don't know if we have them in Denver.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm doing MFP and it is working (slowly), but it is so darn hard to stay under my calorie count on days when I don't work out and can subtract points! My calorie limit is 1200. I know I can eat more when I work out, but on days when I don't have time it is SO difficult to only eat 1200 calories...that isn't a lot at all.

It is hard to stay at 1200, I agree. I think planning helps a lot, but so does routine, if you can manage it. For instance, I try to stick to 300 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner. Then I try to go with fruit and protein for breakfast, vegetable and protein for lunch, vegetable/protein/complex carb for dinner. I try to leave enough wiggle room so I can have a snack (fruit, nuts, piece of dark chocolate).
    Another tip is to eat high glycemic index foods, fiber, and protein because those things are more satiating and by keeping your blood sugars stable you are less likely to feel hungry.
    But I find it easier to stick to 1200 when I don't work out. When I work out I am so hungry I want to eat everything in site.
  • drj99
    drj99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • moe5474
    Options

It is hard to stay at 1200, I agree. I think planning helps a lot, but so does routine, if you can manage it. For instance, I try to stick to 300 breakfast, 400 lunch, 500 dinner. Then I try to go with fruit and protein for breakfast, vegetable and protein for lunch, vegetable/protein/complex carb for dinner. I try to leave enough wiggle room so I can have a snack (fruit, nuts, piece of dark chocolate).
    Another tip is to eat high glycemic index foods, fiber, and protein because those things are more satiating and by keeping your blood sugars stable you are less likely to feel hungry.
    But I find it easier to stick to 1200 when I don't work out. When I work out I am so hungry I want to eat everything in site.

I know. I am eating a TON of fiber and protein which helps keep me full. The hardest part is when people want to go out at the last minute for a big dinner and I only left 400 calories for dinner in my plan. That's hard. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has to plan :) This site definitely helps a lot bc we are all in the same boat.
  • moe5474
    Options
    Oh, and these may have been discussed on this site already but if you girls are looking for high protein bars try Think Thin. Their peanut butter ones are amazing! I found them at whole foods. Publix and Kroger also carries them.

They have 20 grams of protein and NO SUGAR. They've been a God send during this time :) They have 230 calories and keep you full for a really long time bc of the high protein content. They're great if you're on the go but want something filling and healthy.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't heard of them.
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really struggle to stick to 1200calories as well, most days I exercise so its not an issue. I am a creature of habit though so think I need to come up with some new meals for breakfast and lunch which will keep me full but not cost me as much in calories.
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    I, like alot of you i've seen, am 5'2" and weight about 140lbs. Not only would I like to lose about 15 lbs but I would like to get rid of the flab that I have from having been alot heavier before and from having a child (12 years ago). How does one go about firming the mid-section?
    BTW - My son got the "Let's Dance 2" game for the Wii for Christmas. I have had to dance everyday! It is so cool and such a great workout. After 2-3 songs I feel my shirt sticking to my back. It's awesome!
    Good luck everyone

Hey, im exactly the same as you 5 2" and 140lbs. I would like to try and get down to 119lbs. I also am really desperate to try and tone up my stomach. Its sooooooo difficult! The hardest place to tone in my opinion. Ive just bought an abs roller. Think they are quite good. x
  • veggiegirl314
    Options
    I love this thread! I definitely fit into this category.

I'm 5'5, and I weigh 135. I want to get down to 120. I'm an exercise fanatic (running and spinning) so that's not the problem; food is. Hopefully MFP will help me get a better idea of what I'm putting into my body.
  • WeatherGurl1129
    WeatherGurl1129 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weighed in today and lost another pound! I feel so sore from working out like this again that I was kind of hoping for more. I can't believe that I worked out almost everyday this week and only lost one pound. But I stuck to my diet fairly well without starving myself.

My arms are so sore from that freakin' Wii Boxing!

I just hope that I can get more on a momentum where I keep losing weight but I don't feel so sore from working out. Because if this is how I feel after losing only 2 pounds, I can't imagine trying to lose 16.5 more!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Oh, and these may have been discussed on this site already but if you girls are looking for high protein bars try Think Thin. Their peanut butter ones are amazing! I found them at whole foods. Publix and Kroger also carries them.

They have 20 grams of protein and NO SUGAR. They've been a God send during this time :) They have 230 calories and keep you full for a really long time bc of the high protein content. They're great if you're on the go but want something filling and healthy.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't heard of them.

I've had those, but found Pure Protein bars to be much tastier! I like their chocolate peanut butter or caramel ones, & they are naturally flavored. You can find them at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Wegmans, GNC, etc. I get a box of 6 bars for $5 at Wal-mart. They are very satisfying, and I usually use them for my daily breakfast!

stats: 200cal, 6g fat, 16g carb, 2g sugar, 20g protein.

By far the best numbers I've found in bars for taste and amount of protein!
  • AScheif
    AScheif Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I weighed in today and lost another pound! I feel so sore from working out like this again that I was kind of hoping for more. I can't believe that I worked out almost everyday this week and only lost one pound. But I stuck to my diet fairly well without starving myself.

My arms are so sore from that freakin' Wii Boxing!

I just hope that I can get more on a momentum where I keep losing weight but I don't feel so sore from working out. Because if this is how I feel after losing only 2 pounds, I can't imagine trying to lose 16.5 more!

Hey there! From one former-athlete to another. Don't be discouraged, especially if you are just starting to get back on the exercise wagon. When I first started back in April I was doing bootcamp classes 4 times a week and I was seeing gains not only on the scale but also in inches. In simiple terms, my trainer said its likely that my body is reverting back to its muscle memory from when I was athletic however now I have fat overtop of it. In any case she said that once my body had built up more muscle then I would probably start to see a loss on the scale and inches... I know kind of backwards right? Well after 4 straight months of bootcamp and running, a 6 pound weight gain and a 4 inch gain in ONE thigh alone! things did start to turn around and now I am taking the fat off and I can see the muscle underneath :)

So stick with it, you will come around!
  • Sunny_Skies
    Options
    This is the type of thread I've been looking for! I am 5'2" and weigh 123 lbs. I want to get down to 103, because I can't stand the sight of my stomach! The one problem I've been having is that people say "Why are you trying to lose weight, you're skinny!" I agree with the poster on the first page who said something similar to this...if people saw me in a bikini, they would also feel differently!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Oh my this is just what I need! When I first joined MFP I needed to lose at least 50 lbs, and I did that successfully. I am 5'6 and maintained my weight around 138-140 for awhile Then the holidays struck and I gained 10 lbs :/ I have been eating healthy/exercising for about a week now and am already back down to 144.5 from 147. I hope to get down to 135 again and just build some muscles. I want to be fit and don't care so much about the number on the scale anymore. Here's to doing that with you all! :drinker: