not-that-heavy girls trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• dhaarsma
    Options
    I'm with you! People always tell me I don't need to lose weight but they haven't seen me in a bathing suit. I want to feel better about my body and look good in a bikini! :) I'm 5'8" and weigh 157 lbs. My goal is 145.
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    i'm down here in the middle of the blizzard that hit the southeast and i'm stuck in my apartment with no healthy food :( all i have is frozen and packages items but i've managed to stay under my calorie count for the past 2 days. it's just the same old food is getting, well...old.

trying to stay on the wagon!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    welcome new folks! hang in there moe, how's the blizzard? We got a bunch of snow in Denver.
    And speaking of Denver, there is a groupon (daily deal) for slimdown4life, you get Initial Consultation and Assessment, Body Fat Analysis, 14 Meals, and $25 to Spend on a Massage or Acupuncture for $48.
    I don't think I will do it, but just because I don't want to get the sales pitch, I spose.
    I tried the Self "bikini ready" workout on Netflix last night and it was tough. Lots of hand-weights, squats, and it seemed to require a lot more coordination than 30DS and I have no coordination so watching to figure out the moves wastes time.
    Making the Cut sounds interesting, I am thinking I do need to get strict on my diet if I want to see abs, but I just worry that I wouldn't be able to maintain that kind of discipline and it would just come back (like when I am eating and drinking all-inlcusive in DR Feb. 19-can't wait!)
  • amysj303
    Options
    oh, just saw this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KarenBorter/view/those-pesky-last-few-pounds-59191
    I think she is right. I know the difference between losing and maintaining is 200 calories, so I have a beer, or tortilla and think, well, today I will just maintain.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great blog. Thanks.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Making the Cut sounds interesting, I am thinking I do need to get strict on my diet if I want to see abs, but I just worry that I wouldn't be able to maintain that kind of discipline and it would just come back (like when I am eating and drinking all-inlcusive in DR Feb. 19-can't wait!)

If your diet is too high in sodium or carbs, it will be hard to see your abs, but you can always carb deplete for special occasions. If you are still talking about fat loss, it is interesting to note that there is only like a 50 cal difference between maintaining at 5 lbs less. Your big problem honestly is the beer. It promotes fat deposits on the abdomen. I would try to ease off as a lifestyle change.... :flowerforyou:

About the article you posted - she is totally right, it's so easy to claim "maintenance day" or not count as strictly. Plus you can't get away with a big deficit. I think this is why people say to approach fat loss 30 days at a time so we won't lose focus
  • gembanana
    gembanana Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thanks - great blog!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Your big problem honestly is the beer. It promotes fat deposits on the abdomen. I would try to ease off as a lifestyle change.... :flowerforyou:

Ok, I could give up the beer-can I keep the vodka and wine?
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    Your big problem honestly is the beer. It promotes fat deposits on the abdomen. I would try to ease off as a lifestyle change.... :flowerforyou:

Ok, I could give up the beer-can I keep the vodka and wine?

bahahaha too funny!!!

welcome to all the newbies. Feel free to add me as a friend so we can help each other along the way :smile:
  • srsimon
    srsimon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My Zumba and Aerobics classes start tonight. Super excited! I already burned almost 100 cals by shoveling this morning, can't imagine what 2 hours of cardio are gonna burn.
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    wow Sam! That's going to be intense!! WTG!!
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    woohoo! I got rid of those pesky holiday pounds!!! now to get back to hitting my goal of 110 - 115...

slow carbing and ESE is working out quite well so far. the only issue i have is that i get a major sweet craving at night! not sure what to do about that. i can workout and earn the right to eat something yummier than vegetables, legumes, or meat.

so my hubby and i stumbled on a super yummy recipe to cover our ice cream cravings:

1 can coconut milk - pour into an ice cube tray and freeze the day before!!!
    1/3 cup cocoa powder
    3 TBS agave nectar

blend it all together until it's a creamy consistency (i have the vitamix, so it handles this really well)

OMG, it's perfection!!!!
  • lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted in the forums yet because I didn't really think I fit in. Now I do! I'm currently at 133lbs and my goal is 120. My coworkers can't fathom in the slightest bit why I'm trying to lose weight and it gets frustrating. Everyone knows their own body type and where they should be at/feel comfortable. They keep shoving pastries in my face and I have to run away.
    yeah, exactly... Just because I am not obese doesn't mean I don't have to watch what I eat. I always have watched it... That's why I am not obese. I don't have special genetics that lets me eat what I want!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Good for you, Jen! and I love coconut milk, what kind do you buy?
    I am thinking about a new thread for those at or near goal weight who struggle with belly fat. It seems like a popular problem on this thread.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I guess there are lots of threads like that. I found this, wanted to share:
    http://www.losebellyfatworkout.com/losebellyfat
  • srsimon
    srsimon Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    wow Sam! That's going to be intense!! WTG!!

I don't think I'm going to be able to move tomorrow... My sorority sister is my workout buddy and she made me go early and do some leg and arm weights and then we did weights and toning during step aerobics. But I LOVE Zumba. I love getting to shake my hips!
  • mcrawley22
    Options
    wow you really worked it tonight!! Awesome!!

Amy - I definitely think we all want to lose our belly fat!! lol
  • SmellyMelly13
    Options
    Woohoo! I'm definitely in this boat, I lost about 120 pounds last year, and the got stalled and took a break out of frustration, but as of Monday I am back on the wagon, I'm 5'10 and 154 right now, looking to get to whatever weight it is that will blow off these last pounds hanging out in my stomach, I'm thinking hopefully 130-135 should do it, I was at about 145 when I took a break and slowly put on 9 pounds, Christmas was deadly, no gym+tons of food+a death in the family=food everywhere.

But I'm hoping to be done by May and ready to be one hot animal by summer, I'm taking Crossfit classes Monday and Fridays right now, once it gets easier hopefully adding Wednesday to that as well and shooting for 3 days a week of cardio at the gym. weekends are hard to get to the gym for me so I'm considering those bonus work-outs but I'm definitely going to be trying to make it.

But another "skinny fat" girl I work with is on board, so we're both shooting to drop 20 pounds by May (June if that fails haha).

Add me! I need friends in this situation.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    My belly is the first place I lose weight. It's been flat for months now. Before you throw rotten tomatoes at me... My *kitten* is still huge! :sad:

He he he... Seriously, I came to declare that I'm going to weigh Saturday! For the first time since Thanksgiving weekend. Meep! I'm excited and nervous. I just want 3lbs. That's it. Just 3. (I've accepted that averaging about half pound a week will be ok now that I'm smaller.) I've also decided to take a significant step toward building a healthy relationship with my scale. It's coming to live with my boyfriend here in town instead of 100mi away with my parents. It'll be easier to weigh myself more frequently, but it'll be too inconvenient to weigh compulsively. I think it's time. :smile:
  • JessGettingFit
    Options
    Hi girls, just thought I'd introduce myself in here! I'm Jess, 125 pounds and my goal is to lose another 5 pounds and tone up! Feel free to add me as a friend, I don't have many yet haha :)