What is the weirdest weight loss advice you've ever had?

Options

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Eat every two hours.
    Buy this Herbalife stuff (never have, never will)
    Lose the weight first THEN lift weights or you will bulk up (HAHAHA now I have proof as my body gets tighter)
    Go on Atkins (and they are fat once again)
    Why don't you try Weight Watchers? (no thanks)

Well, I guess that's not "weird."

Hmmmm, how about, drink lemon juice, cayenne pepper and maple syrup to cleanse yourself.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Eat a big breakfast.

The logic is supposedly that I won't be as hungry later in the day, and will eat less later in the day as a result. Since a big breakfast has zero calories, then it makes sense that my total calories for the day will be less when my lunch and dinner calories are less. *sarcasm*
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Eating all the gummie bears that I want, because they are fat free.
    No. Even. Kidding.

This lady also did the cabbage soup and grafefruit diets.

Maybe it would work if they were also sugar free. :sick:

If you go by some of the reviews on sugar-free gummie bears, I'm pretty sure they're essentially laxatives.

Yes they are. My son hates ice cream (Pretty sure he might be the only 5 year old on earth who hates ice cream.) so when we go to get ice cream, he gets a bag of candy. When he was 3 he ate 1/2 bag of sugar-free gummy bears. I didn't realize they were sugar free until about 1.5 hours later when I hear my husband screaming from the basement "OH MY GOD! HELP!" I go running down there because I think someone got hurt and there is poop everywhere. Poop on the walls, on the furniture, carpet. My poor child is frozen like a deer in headlights because he doesn't know what is happening. The weird thing is he was wearing a pull up and pants. The poop shot out with such force that it volcano erupted from his clothing. I swear this isn't even an exaggeration. It was insane. Then I saw the bag of gummy bears on the kitchen counter with the "sugar free" label. They went straight to the trash. lol Now we inspect his candy before he eats it. lol

Oh the poor little guy. I shouldn't be laughing as hard as I am when I think of his little face and how he must have looked!

OMG! I'm so sorry that this happened to your little man! But, OMG. I am laughing so hard!!! I often have sugar free candy in the house, but I do not allow my son to see it or he will want it and I know its effects would be horrific.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    slice one banana into 1" pieces, put them in 250g apple cider vinegar. Cook them in microwave for 1 minute. Take one table spoon of that vinegar after each meal, it will melt your fat away. My friend claimed it was a very popular method in South Korea, all the female celebrities do that and that's why they are all so skinny. (too skinny in my opinion) I was stupid enough to try that for 3 weeks......
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    This isn't something I heard, but in my younger days when I wanted to drop 10-15 lbs, I'd switch to hard liquor and not drink beer. LOL! Work out? Uuhhhh, there's booze to consume and hijinks to be made!

Ha! Same (still do this. Oh vodka and diet coke after work instead of a pint... BECAUSE THE CALORIES THE CALORIES.

The hangover....the hangover. End up eating the calories back the next morning at Greggs anyways.)

OMG, I heard someone write about Voddie and Diet Coke yesterday. Made me gag again hearing it today. Sounds horrible.
  • prettychelly
    prettychelly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The Amazon reviews for sugar free gummy bears are hilarious lmao!!
    But I hate the special k diet, herbalife, and the maple honey cayenne pepper drink thing. Not eating after a certain hour kills me too.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've heard many of these before.

The strangest (and one of the most dangerous) one's I've come across is the "cotton-ball diet"

You dip a "cotton" (it's not actually cotton) in oil, then swallow it. It, supposedly fills up your stomach so you eat less.

I have no words....

Yep, that is mine, too, however, wasn't told about the oil part. Just the cotton ball or toilet paper eating.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's grandfather was making spaghetti for dinner, and I asked him to please let me serve my own plate when it would be cooked. I wanted to do this to reduce my portion, instead of having a huge plate; I have a lot of difficult to NOT finish a plate of food once it's in front of me. He then looked at me weird, and asked, "Is it because you're trying to lose weight? Spaghetti won't make you fat, though."

My boyfriend and I tried explaining to him that it was portion size that mattered, not the food, but he didn't get it. He is so sweet, though, and none of it was ill-intended!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Hmmmm, how about, drink lemon juice, cayenne pepper and maple syrup to cleanse yourself.

So...I tried this. Some people call it the "Lemonade" Diet. Tried it while working at a health food store because I was trying to "cleanse the toxins" out of my body. (I was drinking the Kool-Aid at the time. lol.)

Made it through the entire day of work while sipping on the stuff. Got home and flipped out with the HANGER :explode: and decided that it wasn't for me.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This made me LOL
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    eat as much rice as you want, but no bread or pasta LOL
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Reading the gummibear reviews. LOL

(Makes me almost want to put some on the office kitchen table. But I'm not that mean. And the bathroom is by my office. I would regret it.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Don' eat after 6:00 PM
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    ok, this isn't really weight loss advice, but it makes me shake my head:

A friend of mine (who has never exercised regularly) claims she doesn't need to lift weights (light or heavy) because she "already has muscle" so it won't help her at all while she's trying to lose weight. :huh:
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was told that I need to run on the treadmill faster, even though I had my leg amputated to the knee.

Another time a trainer told me I needed to eat more chicken and beef. I mentioned to him I was pescatarian.....he said try pork!!!
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I saw on tv JOAN COLLINS say she never drinks diet sodas because she only see's fat people drinking them.
    Wow thats such a mean generalization shame on joan
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    massage your belly button 100 times every day and you will get flat stomach...

surprisingly a lot of my friends buy into it...

this sounds weird but I don't know why people swear by it maybe it really works? you know there are things that science can't explain? LOL
  • cdspark
    cdspark Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I knew someone that ate marshmallows for the same reason as the gummi bears!
  • Girlg0yle
    Girlg0yle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I asked a Dr that I worked with what he thought was the best diet. He said just don't eat during the day...just drink water. Granted this is what he did and he was a bean pole...but he also passed out and hit his head because he hadn't eaten all day. I found it difficult to take any advice from him after that little gem of wisdom.
  • Marggiee
    Marggiee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat an entire can of fruits every 2nd day before bed to help with sugar cravings... I'm diabetic! That is way too much fruit in one sitting... especially before bed

Oh and also dont add any spices or herbs to chicken. Just eat it "bland as" boiled or grilled - YUCK!