who doesnt like when guys gain muscles

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the response I do detect a bit of a double standard. When a girl says she's not attracted to overweight guys people chime in to defend the choice. "You like what you like. You can't be attracted to everyone. It's your choice." The usual. Some chick says she doesn't like muscle mass on a guy and everyone loses their minds. Where are all the, "You like what you like," people now?

Because you can state your preference without shaming.
  • kennethbane
    kennethbane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    As opposed to what? You're on a fitness site asking who doesn't like when guys gain muscle, what do you think happens when people work out? Anyone who does fitness properly, rather than say, just cardiovascular but the proper thing like a good balance of cardiovascular and strength training is going to gain some muscle. It's inevitable. Even just pure cardiovascular workouts is going to require some muscle gain. I think you're being a troll or you're just plain judgmental. In any case, don't come onto a fitness site, talking against muscular gains and not expect eye rolling.

There is a difference between "gaining some muscle" and developing the highly defined muscle tone that is the subject of this thread. People come on this site for many reasons, not all of them are to develop big muscles. Some just want to become fit (and no, "fit" doesn't mean super strong with big muscles. It means an appropriate weight with the muscle and stamina to be physically active).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Reading some of the response I do detect a bit of a double standard. When a girl says she's not attracted to overweight guys people chime in to defend the choice. "You like what you like. You can't be attracted to everyone. It's your choice." The usual. Some chick says she doesn't like muscle mass on a guy and everyone loses their minds. Where are all the, "You like what you like," people now?

One of them was a couple of posts above yours.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As opposed to what? You're on a fitness site asking who doesn't like when guys gain muscle, what do you think happens when people work out? Anyone who does fitness properly, rather than say, just cardiovascular but the proper thing like a good balance of cardiovascular and strength training is going to gain some muscle. It's inevitable. Even just pure cardiovascular workouts is going to require some muscle gain. I think you're being a troll or you're just plain judgmental. In any case, don't come onto a fitness site, talking against muscular gains and not expect eye rolling.

There is a difference between "gaining some muscle" and developing the highly defined muscle tone that is the subject of this thread. People come on this site for many reasons, not all of them are to develop big muscles. Some just want to become fit (and no, "fit" doesn't mean super strong with big muscles. It means an appropriate weight with the muscle and stamina to be physically active).
    That doesn't make this thread OK.

Why was it necessary? The only purpose it served was to insult a group of people for existing. What if it said, "Who doesn't like fat women"?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What if this was the OP, what would the reaction be:

Anyone else who doesn't like the look of girls who gain allot of weight and look extremely chunky?i prefer the normal look and I don't dig that look.anyone else
  • rml_16
    Options

Because you can state your preference without shaming.
    ^^^^
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Anyone else who doesn't like the look of girls who gain allot of weight and look extremely chunky?i prefer the normal look and I don't dig that look.anyone else

Outrage and a lot of butt-hurt and the ever so popular "You're fat shaming!" outcry.
  • eric_sg61
    Options

You like what you like. You can't be attracted to everyone. Etc.
    You like what you like then keep it to yourself and don't use words like "normal look"
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Outrage and a lot of butt-hurt and the ever so popular "You're fat shaming!" outcry.

So it's wrong to point out fat shaming but fit shaming is cause for panic basically?

My point was that whenever someone says they don't like fat women the inevitable cry is that you're fat shaming. Not everyone likes fat women or men. Not everyone likes fit women or men. I am personally attracted to fit people. I would not date someone who was extremely overweight because that's not what I like. Does it mean I'm fat shaming? No. It just means that I am not attracted to someone who is fat.
  • rml_16
    Options

So it's wrong to point out fat shaming but fit shaming is cause for panic basically?

My point was that whenever someone says they don't like fat women the inevitable cry is that you're fat shaming. Not everyone likes fat women or men. Not everyone likes fit women or men. I am personally attracted to fit people. I would not date someone who was extremely overweight because that's not what I like. Does it mean I'm fat shaming? No. It just means that I am not attracted to someone who is fat.
    It's a matter of wording. This thread was worded extremely poorly.

No one has ever called "fat-shaming" when someone, in the course of a normal conversation about attraction, stated that he or she was just personally not attracted to an overweight body type. But when someone posts a photo of Jennifer Lawrence and calls her thighs "disgusting" (yes, this happened and is only one example), people get a bit upset.

This is the equivalent of that.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

I guess that was my point. If someone says, "I don't like fat people," people are kind of like, "well of course not." If someone says they don't like some aspect of fit people the whole world stops and gasps.

Your personal perception must be more a reflection of you than reality as it certainly doesn't accurately reflect the MFP forums.
  • eric_sg61
    Options

I guess that was my point. If someone says, "I don't like fat people," people are kind of like, "well of course not." If someone says they don't like some aspect of fit people the whole world stops and gasps.
    Please start a thread with that title. I am sure you'll see a lot of "well of course not" responses.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I admire the dedication it takes to get a lot of bulk. It's not for me, however. There aren't any bulky triathletes that win their age group. I need to be leaner to be proficient in my sport. Just a preference, not a judgement.
  • rml_16
    Options

It's a matter of wording. This thread was worded extremely poorly.

No one has ever called "fat-shaming" when someone, in the course of a normal conversation about attraction, stated that he or she was just personally not attracted to an overweight body type. But when someone posts a photo of Jennifer Lawrence and calls her thighs "disgusting" (yes, this happened and is only one example), people get a bit upset.

This is the equivalent of that.

I still remember the day after the Miley Circus "twerking" thing. Queue the "she needs to squat" chant. Was that considered skinny-fat shaming?
    I thought so. I hate when people make comments like that on here. A lot of others do, too.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Please start a thread with that title. I am sure you'll see a lot of "well of course not" responses.

That would be taken down in 4 seconds flat (or after 3000 responses...)
This discussion has been closed.