How do you burn 1000 calories by exercise per day?

Options
Any suggestion on how to burn 1000 calories a day by exercise?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to?
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Why would you need to?

^^ Relevant question.
  • gsallit
    gsallit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2 lbs per week, by exercising strictly, because dieting is not working for me.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It will totally burn you out doing that daily. I get that burn about 3-4 times a week with smaller burns on other days.
    I either do 2 hour long boxing classes and 5 miles walking, or I do a few hours cycling and 5 miles walking.

But, it is far better to learn to eat the correct amount, and workout in a way that is enjoyable and sustainable.

Edited to add ... I use a polar FT4 and have maintained eating all those calories back, thus I know my burns are pretty accurate.
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Seems extreme BUT invest in a good HRM (Polar ft4 or ft7) and move, sweat get your heart rate up until you have burned 1000 cals.

Running. Biking. Workout DVDs. Fast paced walks. Kickboxing. Weight Lifting. All of that. Get your heart racing.

Something I've learned the hard way... You can't outwork a bad diet. Fact of life my dear.

Goodluck (:
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I can do it through one of my long bike rides, but that means a couple of hours of bike riding each day. Thats a lot of bike riding
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure and log your intake?? Just curious why the diet part is not working as you say... I have always kept the exercise separate from the diet part... I lost weight with a deficit and exercised for fitness......
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Walk walk walk. Or bike. Or run. Or hike. It is very doable (I do it often) but it will be a 90-180 minute effort.

I'd suggest shooting for 50/50. Your diary is private but if you shared, people here would be happy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have to ride my bike hard for about 30 - 35 miles or so every single day...which isn't happening. I don't think your plan is very good...it is going to be very difficult to maintain that kind of level of effort for any prolonged period of time...plus, that body needs rest to recover and what not.

Bad plan...
  • dqrunsalot
    dqrunsalot Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming? It's much more impact forgiving than running and/or other rigorous forms of aerobic activity. Swim laps for half an hour, grab some foam water weights for resistance work, repeat as many times as your energy levels allow. Swimming is what I've turned to since my arthritic knee and torn meniscus will allow. Good luck.
  • gsallit
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure and log your intake?? Just curious why the diet part is not working as you say... I have always kept the exercise separate from the diet part... I lost weight with a deficit and exercised for fitness......
    I weigh 170 lbs which means I burn about 1700 to sustain, in order for me to have a deficit of 500 calories a day I would have to consume 1200 calories a day, which has been very difficult for me.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    You can do it, but take this from someone who used to average 1,100+ cals/day for months: diet is MORE important than exercise burn for weight loss (and nutrition). I actually lose most consistently when I work out by doing short lifting sessions and walking only. When I add more intense or longer aerobic training to burn more calories, my appetite intensifies accordingly and its harder to keep the same deficit.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon and burned that much.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Run for 4 or 5 hours straight and you will burn about 1000.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2 lbs per week, by exercising strictly, because dieting is not working for me.

Exercise is for health.

If you are not losing then you are not in a deficit.

Do you use a food scale?

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

and this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • gsallit
    Options
    Most people do it by lying.

45 minutes cleaning, vigorous effort: 9013 calories.

This!!!! lol. Invest in a HRM please. For the love of all that is good. One with a chest strap. As I mentioned above. MFP overestimates.
    I have an HRM and a BodyMedia, the HRM shows that I hardly burning any calories when exercising, for example yesterday it showed that I burned 250 calories in a one hour zumba class which does not make sense.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I don't think trying to do that by exercise is going to work. I spent my first 7 weeks exercising, figuring that the deficit from that would be enough to lose weight as long as I didn't go crazy with my eating. I lost nothing. It wasn't until I got my food intake under control, and started weighing and measuring portions, that the scale started to move.

If you open your diary and give us more info, we'd be able to offer suggestions that'll get the scale moving.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Be fit, and then push hard.

I can accomplish by maintaining HR of 153 for 60 min, middle of aerobic zone, and that is easy for several hours actually. And that's net burn, not gross including resting burn that would have happened anyway.

But frankly, what you are asking about, is basically the same thing, except it's much easier to always remove 1000 from what you burn, than trying to burn 1000 more than you eat.

Here's why it basically doesn't work well, and don't even worry about the lifting aspect, listen to the logic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQRv1CIpjn8
  • NancyMarie13
    NancyMarie13 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Most people do it by lying.

45 minutes cleaning, vigorous effort: 9013 calories.

This!!!! lol. Invest in a HRM please. For the love of all that is good. One with a chest strap. As I mentioned above. MFP overestimates.
    I have an HRM and a BodyMedia, the HRM shows that I hardly burning any calories when exercising, for example yesterday it showed that I burned 250 calories in a one hour zumba class which does not make sense.

This could be due to effort: Maybe you didn't work as hard as you think. We tend to overestimate.
    The HRM is not a good quality Polar brands tend to be more reliable with chest strap
    The HRM is defective
    The HRM is not calibrated to your body? Height, Weight ect
    Or back to effort... I would trust that HRM more than MFP logs.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    run 10 miles a day