How do you burn 1000 calories by exercise per day?

Options

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hiking 7 to 10 miles would do it.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Most people do it by lying.

45 minutes cleaning, vigorous effort: 9013 calories.

This!!!! lol. Invest in a HRM please. For the love of all that is good. One with a chest strap. As I mentioned above. MFP overestimates.
    I have an HRM and a BodyMedia, the HRM shows that I hardly burning any calories when exercising, for example yesterday it showed that I burned 250 calories in a one hour zumba class which does not make sense.
    OMG I hate zumba. Is there any classes that add weights that you can do. I bet you will burn a lot more. The zumba teachers in my gym don't explain anything. They act like everyone should just know what they are doing, which causes me to slow down and keeps my heart rate low. I Burn so much more in the boot camp, kick boxing, spinning, circuit training, or even piyo. Try different classes.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Get about 11,000 or 12,000 steps in per day and you should hit that 1k calorie mark
    I wish. It's more like half that.
  • Chanchka
    Chanchka Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I had membership to a gym a couple years ago, I went to 2 cardio classes back-to-back (45 mins each). Usually HIIT, cardio-kickboxing, or Zumba. I lost about 900-1000 calories (I have the Bodybugg/Bodymedia Fit armband which measures calories lost). I did this about 5x/week. I felt amazing. And it was fun.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2 lbs per week, by exercising strictly, because dieting is not working for me.

It isn't working because your goal to lose 2 lbs. a week may be too extreme for you. According to your ticker, it looks like you want to lose less than 50 lbs. Try reducing your goal down to 1 or 1.5 lbs. per week. This will give you more food to eat. When you add your exercise then eat about half of those as well. Review after about a month or so and make any needed adjustments.

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:

More than 75 lbs.: 2 lbs./week
    40-75 lbs.: 1.5 lbs./week
    10-40 lbs.: 1 lb./week
    Less than 10 lbs.: 0.5 lb./week

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • gsallit
    gsallit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of negativity in these kinds of threads. What if you're athletic or very determined? Why can't you burn 1000 calories? And just because someone burns that kind of energy, doesn't mean they get hungrier than they normally do. I will tell you right now, when I wasn't walking 10 miles or riding 25 miles (before I started getting serious), and was just doing like 2 easy workouts a weak, I was eating like midnight supersized meals at Mcdonalds, sometimes even two meals. I don't do that anymore, ever. I eat things like oatmeal, turkey wheat sandwiches, chicken and brocoli. That's how it works for me. The more I exercise, the less I feel like pigging out. But when I'm not exercising, all those hours I end up spending working at my food instead of working out. So no exercise does not make you hungrier. The only thing that makes you hungrier is not exercising and trying to diet extremely hard. That makes you really hungry because you have no energy. So if an athlete can workout for 4 or 5 hours a day, who are you to stop an average person who wants to work their way towards that? Once your body adapts, it's not hard anymore. To each it's own.

To the OP, the body can do amazing things. Yes, get a bike and work your way up to 50 miles a day. I can bike 30 on a mountain bike, so a rode bike will be more enjoyable. And hike 12 miles a day. Do that every other day and do more intense shorter trainings on your alternative days and lift hard on those days. Don't listen to people saying you won't be able to do it. You have to be committed like a pro athlete. You can do it. As far as diet, focus on healthy common sense eating, make realistic improvements for life. Eat healthy stuff you like. Don't try to skip meals and kill yourself or become anorexic like I did before.

Wow, thank you so much , it is so nice to hear such words of encouragement!!!
    Very motivational, just what I needed to hear!!!
    I am starting today! Thank you!
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

This!!!! lol. Invest in a HRM please. For the love of all that is good. One with a chest strap. As I mentioned above. MFP overestimates.
    I have an HRM and a BodyMedia, the HRM shows that I hardly burning any calories when exercising, for example yesterday it showed that I burned 250 calories in a one hour zumba class which does not make sense.

actually, that doesn't seem like an unreasonable burn to me, though it depends on your own intensity level in the class of course too. For dance class with a super high intensity level for the full hour i'd expect around 400-500 cals max.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It's not something I do often. Only if I need to balance out a serious over-eat or something. But it's relatively easy for me - I generally burn between 400 and 500 calories doing one or two Jillian Michaels DVDs, which is my normal, everyday workout. Then, if I've got 2 hours of pole classes in the evening, I'll burn another 600 or so.
  • lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Haha very good!
  • lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Any suggestion on how to burn 1000 calories a day by exercise?

Personally, but when i run about 10k at about 55mins my app calculates i burn 1000 cals and change (without HRM).

I wouldn't do this every day though! As people have said you will burn out fairly quick.

If i was you i would start with something small and achievable exercise wise. Walk more, walk a bit faster, make an extra effort to walk places. Maybe invest in a step counter, fitbit to encourage this.

Diet wise i wouldn't feel to down about it. Take a long hard (honest) look at what you are putting into your body. Again don't go making huge changes but how about making smaller changes. Limit your intake of treat foods, look at alcohol etc. Try make small changes and stick with them to start.

These little changes with your added exercise will have you feeling great and you will notice change but it will be over time. But Rome wasn't built in a day! You have to be patient

Good Luck :)
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I burn about that in my weekly badminton sessions but that's two hours of hard work. I don't think I could do that every day! Running or swimming are the best burners really but, again, it would be hard to do that every day. Good luck though, if you have the commitment and fitness to handle it, good on ya.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. You can eat well and exercise and see great results. It's not a diet. It's a healthier lifestyle. I watch what I eat, allow myself treats, but I'm not dieting. I'm eating well and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I don't burn 1000 calories a day. I don't come close. I could if I had the time to run a half marathon every day, but I don't. I can easily burn 350-400 with a good 3 mile run depending on intensity and pace.

Not only can you out exercise a bad diet, you can lose weight on a bad diet without exercise as long as it's low in calories. And yes you can out exercise any amount of calories within reason. Now if you're eating like Michael Phelps, that's a different story. But there have been people that have lost weight on a Mcdonalds diet. I'm not saying it's the healthiest way to lose weight, but it did work. And why don't those who are negative tell Michael Phelps that his diet made him fat.

The reference to "bad diet" doesn't mean clean or bad foods, but rather bad in the sense of not actually eating less than you burn.

Several studies have shown that in free eating non-controlled environments, exercise causes people to eat more and wipe out whatever exercise could create as a deficit.

You have to log, and still eat less than you burn.

So can't out exercise a bad diet simply means you adhere terribly to the diet part of the phrase.

Hey look... Someone who understood exactly what I was saying! :)
  • Lozibeth
    Lozibeth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The only time I burn anywhere near that amount of calories is when I run 10+ miles or climb a mountain which is usually 3-6 hours of walking and I'm usually wiped out afterwards. I don't think your plan is a very sustainable way to lose weight, much easier eating at a slight deficit and moderate exercise. Sure if you want to get super fit then by all means exercise more but not as a means to lose weight. Exercising to excess 7 days a week will likely result in exhaustion and injury.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

:laugh: Truth!

You have a lot to lose, OP, so you might be able to do it. But (and excuse me if this has been said already, I didn't read the whole thread) to protect your joints and the rest of your health, I hope you'll visit the doctor first and get the all clear if you didn't already, and a personal trainer for that amount of exercise per day wouldn't hurt, either. You need to do it right and understand your limits or you could end up not being able to exercise at all while you heal up.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't work (zumba). Please watch this video and Steve Turano will explain why...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6feTIQDGW4

Damn and yet somehow ive lost a ton of weight...

He has some honest points in there, surrounded by a bunch of other stuff.

Zumba is one of those workouts that first you get more efficient at the movements. So you burn less because of that eventually, depending on your skill of the movements. Dance well, probably faster. Me, it'll always be a workout if I even attempted it.

Next problem is eventually you can only go so fast with the movements. How fast can you step around, or swing arms, ect. In other words you can't increase the intensity anymore.
    Walking you could add incline or weighted vest, running you go faster, lifting you add weight to the bar, ect.

And why is the ability to keep increasing the intensity important?

Because as you lose weight doing those types of workouts you burn less calories and it's easier, so you must increase the intensity to compensate.

If you don't, it will become easier and easier, and actually you will lose fitness doing just that.

It's like if you were doing squats at a certain weight on the bar, and lost say 50 lbs. If the weight on the bar didn't go up 50 lbs to compensate - you are doing an easier workout actually. And in a diet, you will lose muscle that is no longer needed.

Same with Zumba, eventually it will no longer be a workout for the body and heart that requires more improvements and the same calorie burn, and you will lose fitness doing it.
    Of course if using HRM for calorie burn estimate, you will correctly keep eating less as you log it. So at least that is taken care of.

Very interesting butt load of theory from someone who's never attempted the class.

Since even walking can be very beneficial in a weight loss regimen, no, I don't agree that you must consistently increase intensity to see results. I do agree about measuring your output if possible and incorporating that in your calorie target/goals
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2 lbs per week, by exercising strictly, because dieting is not working for me.

Bad bad idea.

Crazy exercise is not the thing for weight loss. You just need to burn more than you consume. If you are failing .. you are doing something wrong .. ie overestimating exercise already or miscalculating calories consumed and are not really in a deficit. Or .. the one everyone misses .. stress. That is a huge issue .. and why many people fail to lose weight.

No joke .. look it up.

Well I respect your take, but if crazy exercise is not the thing for weight loss, should the winners in the Biggest Loser have exercised less so that they would have lost weight much much faster? And like I said what's crazy for some is nothing for others

They are told to burn everything they eat by exercise and it is mostly down to diet with them, I think they are told to eat less than 1000 calories a day.
    Also they don't keep this crazy **** up for the rest of their lives, plenty just put it all back on again.
    TBL should never be used to give diet/exercise advice.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    '

Wrong way to go about losing weight.

When I would type in my weight on the elliptical 60 minutes would equal a little over 1000 calories burn. Long durations of cardio could burn muscle as energy source.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It would take me about 3 1/3 hours of brisk walking, 4.2+ mph, to burn 1000 net calories on cardio. (Or a little less running but at this point that is an impossibility based on my fitness level.)

A heavier and/or more muscular person could burn it in less time, but the details depend on the person. Either way its a tall order.

On the other hand, it would not be unreasonable to burn 1000 combined between all day activity AND exercise. That is, 1000 more than the BMR. Depending on the person's stats and how active their day is. Not something I do on a usual basis but here and there....
    Any suggestion on how to burn 1000 calories a day by exercise?
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of negativity in these kinds of threads. What if you're athletic or very determined? Why can't you burn 1000 calories? And just because someone burns that kind of energy, doesn't mean they get hungrier than they normally do. I will tell you right now, when I wasn't walking 10 miles or riding 25 miles (before I started getting serious), and was just doing like 2 easy workouts a weak, I was eating like midnight supersized meals at Mcdonalds, sometimes even two meals. I don't do that anymore, ever. I eat things like oatmeal, turkey wheat sandwiches, chicken and brocoli. That's how it works for me. The more I exercise, the less I feel like pigging out. But when I'm not exercising, all those hours I end up spending working at my food instead of working out. So no exercise does not make you hungrier. The only thing that makes you hungrier is not exercising and trying to diet extremely hard. That makes you really hungry because you have no energy. So if an athlete can workout for 4 or 5 hours a day, who are you to stop an average person who wants to work their way towards that? Once your body adapts, it's not hard anymore. To each it's own.

To the OP, the body can do amazing things. Yes, get a bike and work your way up to 50 miles a day. I can bike 30 on a mountain bike, so a rode bike will be more enjoyable. And hike 12 miles a day. Do that every other day and do more intense shorter trainings on your alternative days and lift hard on those days. Don't listen to people saying you won't be able to do it. You have to be committed like a pro athlete. You can do it. As far as diet, focus on healthy common sense eating, make realistic improvements for life. Eat healthy stuff you like. Don't try to skip meals and kill yourself or become anorexic like I did before.

Wow, thank you so much , it is so nice to hear such words of encouragement!!!
    Very motivational, just what I needed to hear!!!
    I am starting today! Thank you!

If OP is extremely dedicated and athletic, I supposed it's possible to burn 1000 calories a day. However, considering that a) she isn't willing to even go through the effort of opening a link to use an accurate calculator and figure out how many calories she actually needs to eat; b) she is trying to lose 2 lbs a week even though she has maybe 40 pounds to lose; c) she "can't" eat less, and isn't interested in hearing that she probably doesn't have to eat as little as she thinks; OP sounds far more like someone looking for a quick fix than someone who is really dedicated enough to stick to such a big exercise goal. If that's the case, all that's going to happen is she's going to get burned out and come looking for some other quick fix that won't work, either.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    forget it....I changed my mnind.