How do you burn 1000 calories by exercise per day?

Options

Replies

• gsallit
    gsallit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No one will even read this far down, so i'm not sure why i'm even bothering.... but the fact is unless you are extremely overweight or plan to devote hours upon hours each day to high intensity training, you can't burn 1000kcals a day from exercise alone.

for reference, i'm 5'8" and ~155lbs. i train 3 days a week for about 90 minutes and look at my exercise log for the lifts/weights i'm doing. I have estimated my TDEE to be about 2735kcals a day averaged out.... and based on online BMR estimators at my current bodyfat % and age, i'm around 1650-1750kcals.... So essentially i burn about 1000kcals a day from exercise and just living my life. exercise alone? probably half that at best...

That said, do you think you could then double the exercise level i do and keep this level of training up long term? maybe if you weighed like 500+lbs, then you might be at a better spot to burn such a high level of calories from exercise alone, but it doesn't appear to be the case from your photo. Not to mention if you were 500+ you probably wouldn't have the mobility required to train that hard/long.

So all in all, if you are serious about losing weight, and you think 'dieting doesn't work' you need to really lock down your diet. weigh your foods and log everything. its basic math/physics when it comes down to it. anyone telling you different is living in denial.
    How do you estimate you TDEE?
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Get on the elliptical for 2 hours (120 minutes).

I will try this, thanks!

Read about "target heart rate" and use it to gauge your intensity or you will never be able to sustain 2 hours on the elliptical.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I burn that on my cardio workout days.

Treadmill, incline 15 degrees, 3.2 mph, 58 minutes, 1008 calories was yesterday's burn....I also currently weigh 218 lbs, which means I'm burning a lot of calories on the incline (a flat treadmill at that speed for me would burn only 500-600). The less you weigh, the more difficult (read: harder you have to work) to burn that many calories.
  • gsallit
    Options

Treadmill, incline 15 degrees, 3.2 mph, 58 minutes, 1008 calories was yesterday's burn....I also currently weigh 218 lbs, which means I'm burning a lot of calories on the incline (a flat treadmill at that speed for me would burn only 500-600). The less you weigh, the more difficult (read: harder you have to work) to burn that many calories.
    Thank you, I will give this a try too!
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I get pretty miserable trying to eat less too. For me, I've been shooting for eating 2000 calories a day and then just get on my bike to ride a lot. I do 50 miles every day and that seems to be about 1700 calories or so burned based on my estimates so 30 miles or two and a half - three hours of moving with some effort would probably do it.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP: I just looked at your diary, most of the time you don't log and I doubt you are weighing your food.

PLEASE read the links I gave you on the first page!!

If you don't fix your diet first, exercise is not going to solve your problem!!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure and log your intake?? Just curious why the diet part is not working as you say... I have always kept the exercise separate from the diet part... I lost weight with a deficit and exercised for fitness......
    I weigh 170 lbs which means I burn about 1700 to sustain, in order for me to have a deficit of 500 calories a day I would have to consume 1200 calories a day, which has been very difficult for me.
    Does your BodyMedia say you burn 1700 on sedentary days? My Fitbit says that about me, and lower. I think it's a lot easier to try to up that maybe 300/day to a burn of 2000 and eat around 1500 and lose around a pound a week. 1500 is a lot easier than 1200.

I mean, it's a lot easier to skip dessert and the potato with dinner than to run 5 miles, for most of us.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Treadmill, incline 15 degrees, 3.2 mph, 58 minutes, 1008 calories was yesterday's burn...

A 15% incline for one hour at a solid pace is a serious workout, and not something to be jumped into from a state of unfitness.

Work up to things slowly, or it will all go sideways in a hurry.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    No one will even read this far down, so i'm not sure why i'm even bothering.... but the fact is unless you are extremely overweight or plan to devote hours upon hours each day to high intensity training, you can't burn 1000kcals a day from exercise alone.

for reference, i'm 5'8" and ~155lbs. i train 3 days a week for about 90 minutes and look at my exercise log for the lifts/weights i'm doing. I have estimated my TDEE to be about 2735kcals a day averaged out.... and based on online BMR estimators at my current bodyfat % and age, i'm around 1650-1750kcals.... So essentially i burn about 1000kcals a day from exercise and just living my life. exercise alone? probably half that at best...

That said, do you think you could then double the exercise level i do and keep this level of training up long term? maybe if you weighed like 500+lbs, then you might be at a better spot to burn such a high level of calories from exercise alone, but it doesn't appear to be the case from your photo. Not to mention if you were 500+ you probably wouldn't have the mobility required to train that hard/long.

So all in all, if you are serious about losing weight, and you think 'dieting doesn't work' you need to really lock down your diet. weigh your foods and log everything. its basic math/physics when it comes down to it. anyone telling you different is living in denial.
    How do you estimate you TDEE?

You can google it. The website I used for my macro calculator has one: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

But you need to get your diet in check. Exercise alone won't do anything.
  • gsallit
    Options
    OP: I just looked at your diary, most of the time you don't log and I doubt you are weighing your food.

If you don't fix your diet first, exercise is not going to solve your problem!!!
    I did miss couple of days out of frustration, I just can't stay under 1700 calories
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I did miss couple of days out of frustration, I just can't stay under 1700 calories

There was more then a couple days missing. You need to fix this first and get your diet under control.

I am 45 yrs old and I eat between 1600-1800 calories to lose weight.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure and log your intake?? Just curious why the diet part is not working as you say... I have always kept the exercise separate from the diet part... I lost weight with a deficit and exercised for fitness......
    I weigh 170 lbs which means I burn about 1700 to sustain, in order for me to have a deficit of 500 calories a day I would have to consume 1200 calories a day, which has been very difficult for me.

Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with this?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and diet is for weightloss. You can exercise until the cows come home but if you're not eating at a deficit you still won't lose weight. Also you mentioned 250 calories your hrm told you for zumba. HRMs are only really accurate for steady state cardio (even then the calories count is questionable) so the calories for zumba are likely to be wrong. You need to take a step back get back to basics set reasonable weight loss goals not unobtainable ones. Sort your food and logging out and find an exercise you enjoy. If you don't like it you won't keep doing it..

Have a look at the links and good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • gsallit
    Options

read an article on line stating that you multiply your weight by 10 to figure out your total calorie burn at rest
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

read an article on line stating that you multiply your weight by 10 to figure out your total calorie burn at rest

That only works for people with not-too-high body fat percentages. For those with 30%+ body fat percentages, it will overestimate, and increasingly so as body fat %age goes up.
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Use a Polar Heart Rate Monitor, Polar F11 is my favorite, dance, lift weights, run, bike, whatever type of activity, and sustain it for a long time. Honestly I think you'd be better off relying on reducing calories to burning 1000 cals a day. Easier and whatnot.
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

NO NO NO..... please go on http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ enter you information and find out your TDEE and BMR.

BMR is basically the minimum cals you should eat, TDEE is your maintenance cals. Subtract about 15%-20% off your TDEE to give you your defeicit calorie range. I can guarantee it will be higher than 1200 cals.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming? It's much more impact forgiving than running and/or other rigorous forms of aerobic activity. Swim laps for half an hour, grab some foam water weights for resistance work, repeat as many times as your energy levels allow. Swimming is what I've turned to since my arthritic knee and torn meniscus will allow. Good luck.

You just wrote my entire exercise routine, lol.

I do laps though for an hour now, and follow up with an hour of water resistance exercises. GREAT workout!
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Treadmill, incline 15 degrees, 3.2 mph, 58 minutes, 1008 calories was yesterday's burn...

A 15% incline for one hour at a solid pace is a serious workout, and not something to be jumped into from a state of unfitness.

Work up to things slowly, or it will all go sideways in a hurry.

Yup, I'm right around the same weight and height (assuming poster is 6'), well muscled, male and hike up mountains with similar stats, like the above poster probably is too. A female, shorter with higher percent bodyfat would more likely be looking at a two hour daily intense workout for 1,000 cals burnt if you want a reasonable time estimate OP.

Also, reading other posts you really need to get a good daily burn estimate, and measure all intake well first OP, that is most likely to be your whole problem.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

This is going to sound mean, but it is not meant to be mean at all...but if you don't have the determination and will-power to stay within 1700 calories a day, how are you going to pull off 1000 calorie burns every single day?

If you do both, you will get to eat more and still maintain a deficit. You don't have to exercise for hours everyday.

Also, if 1700 a day is impossible for you, change your goal to 1 lb a week so you can still be at deficit and eat more.

Track as accurately as possible and everything you eat. Plan out your meals.