How do you burn 1000 calories by exercise per day?

Options

Replies

• Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I burn about 700 calories a day doing circuit training and running, 2 hours total per day. I think my estimate is conservative so I may be burning more. However, I am probably making a shift soon to about 1 hour a day, 30 min circuit training and 30 min cardio, or two hours every other day.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of negativity in these kinds of threads. What if you're athletic or very determined? Why can't you burn 1000 calories? And just because someone burns that kind of energy, doesn't mean they get hungrier than they normally do. I will tell you right now, when I wasn't walking 10 miles or riding 25 miles (before I started getting serious), and was just doing like 2 easy workouts a weak, I was eating like midnight supersized meals at Mcdonalds, sometimes even two meals. I don't do that anymore, ever. I eat things like oatmeal, turkey wheat sandwiches, chicken and brocoli. That's how it works for me. The more I exercise, the less I feel like pigging out. But when I'm not exercising, all those hours I end up spending working at my food instead of working out. So no exercise does not make you hungrier. The only thing that makes you hungrier is not exercising and trying to diet extremely hard. That makes you really hungry because you have no energy. So if an athlete can workout for 4 or 5 hours a day, who are you to stop an average person who wants to work their way towards that? Once your body adapts, it's not hard anymore. To each it's own.

To the OP, the body can do amazing things. Yes, get a bike and work your way up to 50 miles a day. I can bike 30 on a mountain bike, so a rode bike will be more enjoyable. And hike 12 miles a day. Do that every other day and do more intense shorter trainings on your alternative days and lift hard on those days. Don't listen to people saying you won't be able to do it. You have to be committed like a pro athlete. You can do it. As far as diet, focus on healthy common sense eating, make realistic improvements for life. Eat healthy stuff you like. Don't try to skip meals and kill yourself or become anorexic like I did before.

Wow, thank you so much , it is so nice to hear such words of encouragement!!!
    Very motivational, just what I needed to hear!!!
    I am starting today! Thank you!

Yeah I agree, but you have to do it. Encouragement is great but you have to actually do it and stick to it.

Good luck.
  • JenGranzow
    JenGranzow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just took a peek at your food diary, and the answer to your weight loss problem is right there. Best of luck to you.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I burn that on my cardio workout days.

Treadmill, incline 15 degrees, 3.2 mph, 58 minutes, 1008 calories was yesterday's burn....I also currently weigh 218 lbs, which means I'm burning a lot of calories on the incline (a flat treadmill at that speed for me would burn only 500-600). The less you weigh, the more difficult (read: harder you have to work) to burn that many calories.

THIS!

I weigh 200 lbs too, and it is the incline in my hikes that allows me to burn 700 calories in 4 miles or 1000 in 6 miles.

Except for this past week (period throws everything off), I have been losing 1.9 lbs/week since the start of July. For me, that is roughly 1% of my weight per week. About half of that is due to calorie restriction and half is due to exercise.

My exercise is measured using RunKeeper, a phone-app that uses GPS to map your route and uses your reported weight to refine its calorie estimations. My weight loss seems to track RunKeeper's reported calories well, so i believe its accuracy for my case.

I fully expect with the same calorie target and exercise, by the time I'm down to 170 lbs I will be losing closer to 1.5 lbs/week--still roughly 1% of my weight. The same effort will yield a lower result in pounds (but a similar result in %, I'm guessing). It takes less energy to lug 170 lbs around a 4 mile loop than it does to lug 200 lbs around that same loop.

I think you should walk on an incline, either natural or treadmill, to get maximal calorie burn. Ellipticals hold your feet so that your knees and ankles can't do some of their natural rotation during the stepping motion, so I don't trust them for long sessions--I think they stress your joints more than they claim.

But I don't think it is reasonable to lose 2 lbs/week without some calorie restriction.

Now, a little about "logic" in using MFP. This may be a bit hard to follow, so take it line by line:

My calorie target is 1540 calories/day, which is uncomfortable for me to adhere to with diet alone.
    I find I need to eat around 1700 calories per day to feel satisfied--about 200 higher than my goal for weight-loss by diet alone.
    So I exercise about 700 calories/day.
    Which means daily I've "eaten back" about 200 calories of the calories I "earned" by exercise.

That leaves me with around a 500 calorie deficit below my exercise-adjusted target for the day--I ate about 500 calories less than (my target calories + my exercise calories)

500 calories/day x 7 days = 3500 calories, or about 1 lb of fat.

So why am I losing 1.9 lbs/week if I'm only 500 calories per day/3500 calories per week below my target?

Because my target itself was already set for me to lose 1 lb per week even if I didn't exercise.

This allows me to lose weight at around 2 lbs/week without feeling hungry.

BUT--it requires a little over 2 hours a day for exercise, getting to and from my walk-site, and a quick shower after.

I am retooling my work skills in grad school starting at the end of this month, taking advantage of the free time I have now. Once school starts, I'll have to adjust my expectations to the new reality of having less time to work out, and thus a slower rate of loss.

And that's okay. Health improvement is a lifelong habit, not a race. Be realistic about what you can do given your current life situation.
  • Jesyka_Gee
    Jesyka_Gee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    2 a days!!
    But to keep the burn lasting you have to fuel your body after your workout too.

Good luck!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2 lbs per week, by exercising strictly, because dieting is not working for me.

Interesting....I once watched an Oprah episode that talked about just moving first and the diet change will just fall into place.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I only did that once, and it was on accident. lol.

I ran 4 miles that morning. Then I ended up cutting the grass with a push mower whose self-propelled function was broken. It was an acre and I hadn't cut it in 3 weeks...took forever. Weed wacked said yard. Swam for 30 minutes laps and then a couple of hours with the kids. (mostly me swimming laps with a 3 year old wearing swimmies holding on to my ankles.

I usually sit on my *kitten* all day at work.
  • crosstraindylan
    crosstraindylan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cross training with strength training will do it lol
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I burn between 13-15 calories per minutes, so I could burn that by running about 9 miles at an 8 minute per mile pace...
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    well.. according to MFP I burn that if I combine my 2 1/2 hours of intervals of brisk walk and jogging to the bridge and back, swimming for at least 45 mins or so, AND doing at least two circuits at the gym. I don't always combine them but once a week. I usually just pick two. I don't thing its good to hit it hard every single day.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Lord Almighty! If you listen to the Debbie Downers on this board you are sure to fail! Surround yourself with people who will lift you up, not throw you down and step on you before you get started.

Get out there and get moving, pick up the intensity as you go along, the diet change will surely follow as you won't want to sabotage your exercise efforts. Believe in yourself.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You said you have a bodymedia. Are you wearing that and using it correctly? I wear mine 24/7, except one night about every 2 wks when it needs to charge. I take the deficit it says I have every day and compare it to what I'm losing and its pretty darn close. When it's not, I can go back at my food logs and I know exactly what days its from, when I had to guesstimate because I didn't have the exact nutritional information, like for restaurants or others homemade food.

The bodymedia is extremely reliable if used correctly. Last month, I had an accuracy of 0.3 lbs from what the bodymedia said my loss should have been and what it actually was. If you're honest with yourself it will work. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd have to run 12 miles a day or something. Or walk 2.5 hours at a 8% incline at 3.5mph. Neither of which is happening. I'd make do with a smaller deficit and make small steps to improve your diet.

Remember it's a lifetime change... Do you want to do cardio 2 hours every day for the rest of your life? Because as soon as you stop, you'll gain your weight back...
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This morning was a 4 mile run before work, roughly 550 calories. I then biked to work another 300 and biking home another 300. If it's nice at lunch I'm walking to the vitamin shoppe to pick the dog up some calming treats (200 more).

Yesterday I ran 4 miles, commuted to work. Added another 6 miles biking to the Y on the way home to weight lift (another 300+ biking).

But today is Wednesday so tonight, I will in the pool for 30-60 minutes for additional calories.

Rinse and repeat with various cardio changes depending on the day of the week.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Walk walk walk. Or bike. Or run. Or hike. It is very doable (I do it often) but it will be a 90-180 minute effort.

I'd suggest shooting for 50/50. Your diary is private but if you shared, people here would be happy.

I'd add that it would take most of 2 hours at a 3% incline and a brisk pace on a treadmill. Even 5mph at 3% is tough to get 1000 cals burnt. Try the dietary amounts again, with some of this exercise, and then see what goes on. Maybe changing the ratios of carb to fat to protein? Also, water, water, water, with limited amounts of salt helps to not retain as much water.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've not read the whole thread so sorry if I'm repeating.

Unless there is a medical reason for losing weight quickly (2lb per week is quite a lot) then why not drop that to 1lb per week, which is 500 calories deficit per day. Then aim for half of those calories from exercise and half calorie drop?

That way you can eat at 1700-250 = 1450 rather than 1200, which is far more sensible and sustainable on the diet front. You need to build up fitness gradually to get massive calorie burns if that is your aim. If you try and go from 0 calories from exercise to massive burns you are setting yourself up for exhaustion or injury. 250 is a decent place to start, you can always move upwards.

Also not sure what diets you've tried, but make sure you get are getting enough of the three things which fill you up, protein, fat and fibre. Most people find it better than the low fat-high sugar 'diet' foods which are readily available. I agree with the posts where people say you can't exercise out a bad diet, not only is that completely correct, but in addition to that vast amounts of exercise makes most people (me included) ravenously hungry, so you can end up undoing all the burn by drastically increasing your appetite.
  • ladyredeemed4
    ladyredeemed4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is do-able.... All it takes is some good planning. I love the 80 cal. greek yogurts - You can add in 1/3 cup Uncle Sam Original Cerial - for a total of 144 calories (Great fiber & protein). Find something that you like and will stick with you.. I love to eat 1/4 cup oatmeal, with PB2 and a tablespoon of peanut butter (198 calories). For snacks I like Unsweetend almond milk with protein powder & tablespoon PB2 (188 calories), I've heard of people having oatmeal with egg white mixed in. 90 calorie fiber one bars or the 190 calorie fiber one meal bars are great. 100 calorie popcorn with lime powder sprinkled on is awesome.
    I walk my 2 - 60 lb. dogs everyday for a total of 60-70 minutes and I ride my stationary bike for about 30 minutes and that only burns around 700 calories....
    Listen to the good advice you have already received..... Because you are setting yourself up for failure.... Look at others menus to see what they eat (some will be unrealistic and some will be doable). You are welcome to friend me and look at my menus.
    Start planning and making menus. Of course it is going to take some getting used to. I eat approx every 3 hours to keep my blood sugar up. Have a blessed day.... Angi
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose 2 lbs per week, by exercising strictly, because dieting is not working for me.

I haven't read through all the responses, but if eating 1200 a day is too hard (would be for me), change your goal. You may be trying to lose too much a week. Switch your goal to 1lb a week and see how you do.

You can't out exercise a bad diet. Having too high of a weight loss goal will also set you up for failure.

And to specifically answer the question, I have to run at least 10 miles. I weigh 163lb (close to your weight). I only run that distance 1-2 times a week, if I'm training for a half-marathon.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of negativity in these kinds of threads. What if you're athletic or very determined? Why can't you burn 1000 calories? And just because someone burns that kind of energy, doesn't mean they get hungrier than they normally do. I will tell you right now, when I wasn't walking 10 miles or riding 25 miles (before I started getting serious), and was just doing like 2 easy workouts a weak, I was eating like midnight supersized meals at Mcdonalds, sometimes even two meals. I don't do that anymore, ever. I eat things like oatmeal, turkey wheat sandwiches, chicken and brocoli. That's how it works for me. The more I exercise, the less I feel like pigging out. But when I'm not exercising, all those hours I end up spending working at my food instead of working out. So no exercise does not make you hungrier. The only thing that makes you hungrier is not exercising and trying to diet extremely hard. That makes you really hungry because you have no energy. So if an athlete can workout for 4 or 5 hours a day, who are you to stop an average person who wants to work their way towards that? Once your body adapts, it's not hard anymore. To each it's own.

To the OP, the body can do amazing things. Yes, get a bike and work your way up to 50 miles a day. I can bike 30 on a mountain bike, so a rode bike will be more enjoyable. And hike 12 miles a day. Do that every other day and do more intense shorter trainings on your alternative days and lift hard on those days. Don't listen to people saying you won't be able to do it. You have to be committed like a pro athlete. You can do it. As far as diet, focus on healthy common sense eating, make realistic improvements for life. Eat healthy stuff you like. Don't try to skip meals and kill yourself or become anorexic like I did before.

Wow, thank you so much , it is so nice to hear such words of encouragement!!!
    Very motivational, just what I needed to hear!!!
    I am starting today! Thank you!

If OP is extremely dedicated and athletic, I supposed it's possible to burn 1000 calories a day. However, considering that a) she isn't willing to even go through the effort of opening a link to use an accurate calculator and figure out how many calories she actually needs to eat; b) she is trying to lose 2 lbs a week even though she has maybe 40 pounds to lose; c) she "can't" eat less, and isn't interested in hearing that she probably doesn't have to eat as little as she thinks; OP sounds far more like someone looking for a quick fix than someone who is really dedicated enough to stick to such a big exercise goal. If that's the case, all that's going to happen is she's going to get burned out and come looking for some other quick fix that won't work, either.

^^This. OP has only responded to those giving quick answers with no consideration of the root cause of the problem or the viability and longevity of the proposed solutions.

OP I don't think you are considering these suggestions but I agree your estimate of 1700 daily burn is probably way underestimated, since you used one of the most generic formulas possible. Look into the scooby calculator, or get a FitBit to track your total calories burned (roughly) on a daily basis. Then set your goals more realistically, 2lbs/week is too aggressive for the amount of weight you want to lose. Finally, log consistently, weigh and measure your food. If you do all that, I promise you will find this experience much more pleasant and sustainable than going to the gym for 2+ hours/day in order to get that 1000 cal burn you think you need.