Walking With Pedometers

Options

Replies

• Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Wow I feel like a failure O_o I had less than 5,000 steps today!
    Just going to the night market at night

I wear my pedometer all day so it counts all my steps (well, sort of :wink: )
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I put my pedometer in my pocket every morning before I walk my dogs and keep it in my pocket all day......the advocates of walking 10,000 steps a day aren't talking about workout/hiking steps only, it includes all the walking----parking at the far end of the parking lot, walking around your house while you do errands, just getting up and moving.

:flowerforyou: I compare my steps with my own count from other days.......I don't compare with other people

:flowerforyou: today is my Isagenix cleanse day so I'll be less active than usual although I'll take my dogs to the dog park if it stops raining.:laugh:

:bigsmile: On Saturday I had 11,846 steps which included 40 minutes walking at the dog park, a 30 minute walk and dance session while watching TV and some work in the yard.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    After reading the last few posts, it is clear to me that there is no one way to motivate all people. Some of us are spurred on to greater heights with a sense of competition. We fall just below someone else's score and think to ourselves "With a bit more effort, I can do that!" Others just try to do their personal best regardless of what others may or may not do. Our mission is to find what works best for us and follow it. At times, I have been motivated by each way, at times, nothing has felt very motivating. I can honestly say what seems to work best for me is a sense of accountability. Knowing I will be posting daily sometimes motivates me to stop complaining and get on with it. Signing off for now, but I'll be back tonight with my final steps. I hope you all reach your personal best today.
  • Peschuntz
    Options

Please don't give up. We are here to help if you need us. 5,000 steps are better than none.
  • barbiecat
    Options

Don't think of it as failure.......try each day to do a little more than the day before......keep looking for new opportunities to walk......you will see amazing improvement if you never, never, never give up :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Evening folks, slow day only 6.805 steps or 3 miles. Am taking the dog for a small walk now, but since it's raining, I won't be racking up any substantial steps. Have a great night!
  • elvie64
    elvie64 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I walk everywhere, so I find it fairly easy to get to 10,000 steps every day. My personal best is close to 23000, that was walking the dogs, walking to/from the pool and mowing the lawn all in the same day.

The biggest setback for me is the time of year - it's dark so much of the day it's just not very inspiring. I find having to "report in" on this thread is motivational, so thank you for starting it! It's the same as reporting my food intake, I'm not in competition with anyone, but it's very rewarding to have a "good day".

12/12 - 14,285 steps
  • barbiecat
    Options

The biggest setback for me is the time of year - it's dark so much of the day it's just not very inspiring.

I don't live too far south from you so we have the same short days.......one of my goals for December is to find ways to exercise in the house........I like to walk, jog, dance while watching TV......my husband hates me jumping around so I go into the other room where we have a small TV and close the door :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Yeah, I'm the same way as barbie. The weather here isn't the best and the nights are really really really long so I've been doing most of my steps while watching television or movies or even youtube videos. Mostly jogging or walking really quickly because my pedometer doesn't pick up the steps if I don't put enough effort into walking/jogging in place which is a little annoying. I might reset the stride to default so it will pick up the smaller steps.

barbie, what you can do is put down a mat of some kind like I do. I do a lot of my steps much later at night or early morning hours while people are sleeping. It absorbs a lot of the impact and sound.. I hope.
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    Are the pedometers at Wal-Mart any good? I think I saw one for 10 bucks. Or, is there one that anyone would recommend?

Cheers!
    Don
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Don, scroll back like a page or two in the thread.. Peschuntz named the one she likes the best and recommended trying that one.
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    Don, scroll back like a page or two in the thread.. Peschuntz named the one she likes the best and recommended trying that one.

I'm gonna look right now. Thanks!
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    12/12 ~ 11,828 steps and each one was a killer since I hurt both my ankles, but I was determined to get my number up there. Hopefully tomorrow I can get it up higher yet.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Don't be afraid to rest for a day or two. Your ankles probably won't recover while still active.
  • Buttsmom
    Buttsmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to rest for a day or two. Your ankles probably won't recover while still active.

Thanks. One I'm afraid if I stop that I won't get restarted and two my step count is up pretty high with out much help. I have 32 birds, 4 dogs, at least 2 teenage boys (usually there's a lot more here) and a SO that thinks he is God and the world should wait on him. Last night I took some Advil and put Icy Hot on my ankles before I went to bed, the swelling is done quite a bit and it doesn't hurt as bad today.
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good Morning all! :flowerforyou:

Finally found my pedometer and am wearing it proudly today. It may have reset because it says I'm only at 990 and usually at this time I'm at about 1400. Oh well...just gonna have to walk a bit more today.

Have a SPLENDID day!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    11574 steps today! walked to and from work, and then walked around the night market. Unfortunately, at the night market I ate a lot, too :tongue: so I ended up going over calories :frown:

Tomorrow I want to go to the night market with my cousin again for more steps!! Just need to not eat so much, or skip dinner first!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    oops
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: sparklewolfie, your walk at the night market sounds like walking at Costco
    lots of long wide aisles for walking and food to sample at every corner

:flowerforyou: Buttsmom, I know what you're going through. last summer I injured my knee and the chiropractor told me to take it easy for six to eight weeks while it healed and I almost had to use a seatbelt to keep me in my chair.......I found that I could do yoga and ride my exercise bike with less strain on my knee, but even so, I probably walked a lot more than I should have because i couldn't bear to go to bed with fewer than 10,000 steps.

:flowerforyou: kpopa, your dogs are really cute (not quite as cute as my standard poodles)...what kind are they and what are their names? Do you walk them for exercise?

:flowerforyou: Boreseasily, where do you live that it's dark and the weather isn't so good?

:flowerforyou: my pedometer doesn't count steps when i'm at the computer so I'd better get moving:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: kpopa, your dogs are really cute (not quite as cute as my standard poodles)...what kind are they and what are their names? Do you walk them for exercise?

::flowerforyou: my pedometer doesn't count steps when i'm at the computer so I'd better get moving:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

^^^ LMAO! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ^^^

The lighter of the two is Sam, he's a Goldendoodle. Still thinks he's the size of a puppy but has the Poodle and Retriever smarts!!! The black and white one is Nola, she's an Old English Sheepdog. She's a rescue so unsure of her exact age but they put her at around 2-3 yrs old. We also think that she's mixed with something b/c OES adults turn gray (usually before the age of 1.5-2 yrs). They're both just as sweet as can be! :love: :love: :love: