so what are you reading lately??? any good?

Options

Replies

• StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy historical fiction, I can highly recommend the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. There are 8 books in the series and they are about 1,000 pages a piece. I have savored every moment of each one. Historical fiction is my favorite genre. But these also have a wee bit of sci-fi thrown in with a romance storyline, of course!
    It is also now a series on Starz. They are on the 2nd episode and will cover the first book by the end of Spring '15.

Just starting book 2, Dragonfly in Amber. I have book 1-4 and 6. So need to fill in the gaps. Love the books so far and love the series on Starz!

Gone Girl...my sister loved it so I guess I should put it on the list.
    I've read Wideacres by Phillipa Gregory (White Queen), and it has 3 books in the Wideacre series. After that series I have all in the Tudor series to read.
    I need to read the last 3 Eve Duncan books by Iris Johansen - Taking Eve, Hunting Eve, and Silencing Eve.
    Besides those I have another 10-15 lining the bookcase waiting for me.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Just started The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain - early pages but good so far!

I have it...on my to read list. Sounded good so I think I picked it up at a garage sale or Goodwill one day.
  • Angee_B
    Angee_B Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm reading...successful women think differently...good motivational tips...
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    MUST READ! OLDIE BUT GOODY. Just finished The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. It is a literary nonfiction novel that spans the years surrounding the building of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Intertwined throughout is a serial killer doctor. Muhaaa. This book was fantastic! Leo Dicaprio bought the movie rights to this book back in 2010, and it is under production right now. Leo is playing the serial killer H H Holmes.

http://eriklarsonbooks.com/the-books/the-devil-in-the-white-city/

Devil in The White City Movie Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFg5FYcBZ6A

I'm now getting ready to dig my teeth into In the Garden of Beasts - also by Erik Larson.

saw a program on t.v. about him thanks want to get it !
  • emmietoby
    Options
    bump !!
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just finished "great expectations". Somehow I made it through high school without ever reading it so I really enjoyed it. Now I am starting "a confederacy of dunces"
  • emmietoby
    Options
    back again ,,,, bump
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    not much.bored as hell
  • Polishprincess83
    Polishprincess83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been reading Greek Legends and Stories by M.V. Seton-Williams. I love reading about Greek Mythology and hope to one day go to Greece. :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Just read The Picture of Dorian Gray. I don't think I'd ever read it all the way through. Definitely worth it. Otherwise, just a slew of mysteries on the Kindle chosen because they were free. Am about to start The Omnivore's Dilemma.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    Just finished Mona Lisa Eyes by MD Grayson and a bunch of other "freebies" from Amazon.
    I too was surprised that the free books are very good.:happy:

Started The Highlander by Zoe Saadia -- a little tough with the strange names - it is about the rise of the Aztecs.
    Also started Bite Me by Mike Faricy for a little lighter read.
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the Rizzoli and Isles series, love it :)
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Many thanks to whomever thought of this topic - have a whole list of books to check on now. I have kindle and I also use an online used bookstore (thrift books) - low prices and free shipping
  • floralfriday
    floralfriday Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just started We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Looking forward to reading some more tonight.
  • MomforNoah
    Options
    A Life Intercepted by Charles Martin
  • kristibusque
    kristibusque Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just finished The Outsider by Albert Camus and now starting Orwells 1984.

1984 is a great read!
  • africanmasq
    Options
    I just finished Return of the King, and now I'm about to start Watership Down. I'm having a nostalgic, books-I-love year :)
  • kristibusque
    kristibusque Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    About halfway through The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson

Also reading Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul by Howard Schultz

Add me if any of you are on Goodreads!
    goodreads.com/kristibusque
  • 40goneby40
    40goneby40 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Anyone looking for a fantastic (albeit a bit sad) read should read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, and the follow up novel Half Broke Horses. Both just amazing.

I also loved Wild by Cheryl Strayed and her other novel Tiny Beautiful Things which is a compilation of letters written to her Dear Sugar Column.

Also LOVED the Goldfinch, although it was really long.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I reread all of Jane Austen over the summer, so I was in the mood for something completely different.
    I'm about halfway through The Shining.