so what are you reading lately??? any good?

Options

Replies

• emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump keep it going............
  • fool4greys
    Options
    I just started Prince of Fire by Daniel Silva. This is the 4th book by him I have/will have read by him. His books are about an Israeli spy/art restorer.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Wuthering Heights- love, love, love it.
  • bananafannah
    bananafannah Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just read The Picture of Dorian Gray. I don't think I'd ever read it all the way through. Definitely worth it. Otherwise, just a slew of mysteries on the Kindle chosen because they were free. Am about to start The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Dorian Gray.. one of my all time favorites.

Currently reading Game of Thrones, (never watched the show.. or read the books, but liking it so far.. in book 1).
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If we're starting a book club, count me in!
  • emmietoby
    Options
    any one gamed to start a book club??? bet that a lot of pals will join.... bump
  • crazypineapple
    Options
    Stiff by Mary Roach. A humorous look at dead bodies and what happens to them after a person dies, such as when they are donated to science and crash testing. Very interesting and funny. I recommend it.
  • __Bad_Leroy
    Options
    Washington by Meg Greenfield. My wife picked it up at a book sale for a buck or two and it's just my style. Winner winner chicken dinner!

http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Meg-Greenfield/dp/1586481185
  • emmietoby
    Options
    howdy to all you book lovers !! just finished " the jester" by James Patterson.. it was ok i usually like him. he usually co writes with many others . it is set during the middle ages and it tells the tale of hugh he usually writes thrillers/ murder

now i'm finishing . " the unbreakable child" written by Kim Michele Richardson. a story about forgiving the unforgivable true tale of her being put ( with her sisters ) were put in an orphanage . the author survived years of physical and emotional abuse at their hands in the 1960s. very powerful book. it was set in kentucky.... it's an important read . it was run by the roman catholic church...
    you ( I ) can't put it down it's amazing that such places were in the u.s.a.
  • emmietoby
    Options
    bump !! please keep this going....................
  • mkt_29
    Options
    textbooks :/
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I love to read but have a hard time finding the time. I recently grabbed a book off the new arrivals shelf at the library, not fiction which I prefer, but a quick interesting read for those of us who think about food a lot. The "Tastemakers" by David Sax. The subject is along the lines of "Sugar Salt Fat " (don't know if I have those in the correct order :)! He explains the tremendous competition, manipulation, research and success of the business of catering (no pun intended) to foodies, food snobs, restaurants, producers, all in search of new food fads. It is fascinating look at the evolution of an industry that is actually (to me) rather ridiculous, wasteful and immoral in light of the ill nourished and starving populations of the world. I know, I know Capitalism :). Didn't love it but keep thinking about it as I meander through my own eating life.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I decided to read more nonfiction, so now I'm in the middle of "Washington: A Life" by Ron Chernow. It's 800+pages, but a pretty fast read (for me) and VERY compelling. So much so that at several points during the account of the Revolutionary War, I found myself worried about how things were going to turn out. Had to remind myself that I know how it ends.

Up next, I'll probably read more books about this era. I want to read biographies of Patrick Henry and Alexander Hamilton, for sure.
  • emmietoby
    Options
    bump !! please keep this going....................
    bump..................
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    A Lesson Before Dying, by Ernest J. Gaines

interesting book
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Just finished "The Stranger" by Albert Camus. I find the French to be very interesting.
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just finished Prey by Michael Crichton
    On to the Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

Both (at this point) have turned out fantastic...
    Love that kind of stuff :)
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just finished The Arsonist by Sue Miller, one of my favorite authors. LOVED The Senator's Wife by her as well. Next is Child of the Jungle and/or Phantom of 5th Avenue, both non-fiction, which I usually don't read but got good write ups in the NewYork Times. Child of the Jungle is about the caucasian daughter of missionaries who grew up in the jungle and then came back to finish her schooling and how jarring that contrast was. 5th Avenue is about the heiress Hugette Clark who lived in seclusion since 1968 and just died leaving behind three New York apartments full of art, sculpture, treasure, basically.
  • emmietoby
    Options
    bump...........
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    At the moment nothing fun, lol,.... I have read 5 books in the last 3-4 weeks allllllll work related...( only 2 more to go!!! ) Hoping to get to read the label on a chocolate cake box soon!!!! :smile: :glasses: