so what are you reading lately??? any good?

Options

Replies

• Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    The God Theory: Universes, Zero-Point Fields, and What's Behind it All by Bernard Haisch, Ph.D.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Now I am starting "a confederacy of dunces"
    GREAT book. The story of the author's life, "Butterfly in the Typewriter" was fascinating as well.
  • kaitlynlove312
    Options
    The road.... very good book .. bout end of days... sad n creepy
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a book about Germanic Folklore.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading Room by Emma Donnahoughe (sp???) anyways, I've had it on my bookshelf for over 2 years and always started reading something else before I read it. It's amazing! Completely changes how you look at the world. It's about a little boy named Jack and his Ma . . . and he was born into a this "Room" and it's the only "World' he's ever known.

The story is told through Jack's eyes, and he is five so the writing is exactly like a five year old would speak - so that takes some getting used to. But once you're used to that it's awesome! He also calls things formal names, like it's not the table it's Table, and Bed, and Wardrobe, and Spoon, and so on. I really enjoyed it and am upset I didn't read it sooner.

I am now reading I'll Be Seeing You by Suzanne Palmieri-Hayes. It's shaping up to be pretty good as well! I read a lot, and I'm in 2 book clubs.

Has anyone on here ever thought about a book club? I know it's not a site for that, but to meet people who also love to read?
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread, especially the tips on historical fiction. I would like to add "The Kitchen House" and "Someone Knows My Name" as wonderful books in the genre. I also enjoyed The Storyteller and The Book Thief.

I recently read "The Glass Castle" which is non-fiction and loved it. Gone Girl is on my to-read list.
  • Jessica11221
    Jessica11221 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Book Thief which was pretty good. I'm trying to finish The Host by stephenie Meyer. It's a slow paced book that's not sparking my interest but I'm one who always finishes a book once I start. My next book will The Road I loved the movie so the book has to be Incredible.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread, especially the tips on historical fiction. I would like to add "The Kitchen House" and "Someone Knows My Name" as wonderful books in the genre. I also enjoyed The Storyteller and The Book Thief.

I recently read "The Glass Castle" which is non-fiction and loved it. Gone Girl is on my to-read list.

Just out of curiosity - do you live in the US?

The reason I ask is because of the book "Someone Knows My Name"; it's called a completely different title in most places and I am just curious as to which places have changed it for publishing.

Also - Gone Girl, Sharp Objects and Dark Places (all by Gillian Flynn) are awesome! Highly, highly recommend them.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just checked in at the library - made a list and shall see what they have here on the shelves or to put on hold. great ideas! Thanks for starting this Emmi
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading The Girl's Guide to Homelessness: A Memoir by Brianna Karp.

It was freaking HORRIBLE, to be honest. It was really just SO far fetched and infuriating and insane!!!!

But it was also REALLY easy to read and sucked me in...I would even say that in some ways (not all) it was fairly well-written. I found that miraculous considering the author really makes a fool of herself and does nothing to help her cause.
  • dlkorsak
    Options
    LSAT Study Books, very intriguing
  • Shokei
    Shokei Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This past month I "Old Man and the Sea" and "Dante's Inferno". I'm currently reading "A Man for All Seasons" , a play about Sir Thomas Moore. It's a bit dry however I'll plow through it. 16718172.png
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    love hearing about all these grand books... bump
  • emmietoby
    Options
    I just finished reading Room by Emma Donnahoughe (sp???) anyways, I've had it on my bookshelf for over 2 years and always started reading something else before I read it. It's amazing! Completely changes how you look at the world. It's about a little boy named Jack and his Ma . . . and he was born into a this "Room" and it's the only "World' he's ever known.

The story is told through Jack's eyes, and he is five so the writing is exactly like a five year old would speak - so that takes some getting used to. But once you're used to that it's awesome! He also calls things formal names, like it's not the table it's Table, and Bed, and Wardrobe, and Spoon, and so on. I really enjoyed it and am upset I didn't read it sooner.

I am now reading I'll Be Seeing You by Suzanne Palmieri-Hayes. It's shaping up to be pretty good as well! I read a lot, and I'm in 2 book clubs.

Has anyone on here ever thought about a book club? I know it's not a site for that, but to meet people who also love to read?

love to have one !! how about starting one ...love to join...good thought !!
  • emmietoby
    Options
    always a great post...trying to keep it going.... bump
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

• patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

There was a book club here about six months ago. We shared book titles and our thoughts on each book. Didn't last very long though. I would enjoy a book club that discusses the books more.
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I just finished AYSE'S TRAIL (ONE WOMAN'S HIKE THROUGH TURKEY AND TIME) by Atulya K Bingham

Only because I was lent a copy by a friend who is a personal friend of the author. The book was selected for One Big Book Launch 2014.

It was actually a really interesting and enjoyable read, there are three points of view throughout the book, Ayse who is hiking the Lycian Way, a more mysterious narrator and General Harpagos seen through time.

Should you have access to a copy (ecopy) then give it a go. The writing style has a beautiful poetic touch from time to time and pretty quickly I was transported from busy Istanbul to a mysterious , hot, landscape full of dangers and stories.
  • emmietoby
    Options

i think i would like to read this!! going to call my local library ( where i'm will know lol) to see if they have a copy or if they can get a copy from another branch for me ...ty
    bump
  • lfm1968
    lfm1968 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Second Silence by Eileen Goudge and The Wheel of Fortune by Susan Howatch