so what are you reading lately??? any good?

Options

Replies

• southernbuttercup
    Options
    I just started "Gone Girl". So far pretty good. Recently read "The Gargoyle" and loved that book. Its an odd love story with other love stories woven in through different periods of time. Its haunting, funny, thought provoking, tragic yet redeeming. The characters aren't the typical type of characters you root for and yet you root for them to finally find happiness. I felt sad when the book ended because I wanted it to keep going.
  • kimdyj
    kimdyj Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Going to finish The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and A Sinful Breed by Sang Singam is next on my list!
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Going to finish The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown and A Sinful Breed by Sang Singam is next on my list!

bump!! now on to you!!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Golem and the Jinni

it is great so far

I reading that, also. Enjoying it so far.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Also recently read, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye. Good read. Likewise, The Gargoyle, which was an unexpected pleasure.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I tend to read authors in their entirety... right now I'm reading Meg Gardiner.... her first book China Lake is extraordinary! A real thriller/legal page turner.I've also read her books: Phantom Instinct and The Shadow Tracer..... She, like John Grisham is a lawyer turned author. I really enjoy John Grisham, but there is nothing new by him, so I looked up lawyers turned authors... I was amazed at how many there were!

P.S. The Goldfinch (that many of you have mentioned) was a really good read!
  • Karin066
    Karin066 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just finished 'We Are Not Ourselves' By Matthew Thomas a great sprawling novel about and Irish American family and it is the best book I've read in 10 years. Also, just putting this out there for any Judith Rossner fans. One of my all time favorite books is Attachments by Judith Rossner - about two friends who marry siamese twins and how their lives progress and change. It's funny and poignant and I've read it maybe 10 times over the years and always get something out of it. It's out of print but was recently reissued in ebook format on iBooks and Kindle. It's a great book. Also this summer, I read Fourth of July Creek by Smith Henderson and Still Life with Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen. Thanks to everyone else in the thread for some good recommendations.
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just starting "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. I loved "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" and "You Shall Know Our Velocity" - so I'm almost certain to enjoy it..
  • emmietoby
    Options
    thanks to all !!
    please keep this going ---bump!!
  • JenD1066
    Options
    Has anyone read "Doctor Sleep" by Steven King? Did you like it? I just finished "The Shining"- so I feel like I should read that soon.
  • Jesmoko
    Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read "Doctor Sleep" by Steven King? Did you like it? I just finished "The Shining"- so I feel like I should read that soon.
    It's decent. Worth reading if you enjoyed Shining, seeing what happens to some of the characters is fun. Though other than that, the story itself doesn't really have much to do with the Shining. But it's a fun little read.

Just finished Munroe Randall's "What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions". Very entertaining read, the author is a former NASA scientist who started doing a web comic instead. And I just started "Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West" which seems like...something. Not sure if I'm digging it yet.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm currently re-reading A Game of Thrones in between "new" books. I just finished the Southern Reach series, which was very well-written, but I found the (non)ending disappointing, unfortunately.

It's surreal and sic-fi/fantasyesque. You might enjoy it more than I ended up enjoying it.
  • omgitscharlie
    omgitscharlie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just bought "Rogues", an anthology written by Neil Gaiman, Patrick Rothfuss, and a bunch of others. Edited by George RR Martin. Haven't gotten to start it yet, but it looks really good.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    "The Collector" by Nora Roberts
  • emmietoby
    Options
    howdy to all !! lets keep this moving!! bump
  • DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I just started Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
  • JenD1066
    Options
    Just finished Munroe Randall's "What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions". Very entertaining read, the author is a former NASA scientist who started doing a web comic instead.
    I need to read that! xkcd is hilarious!
  • helpimfalling
    Options
    I'm reading the Divergent trilogy, but it's not great. The first was OK, and the second is taking forever to get through. Not sure if I'll finish. But before this I read Stephen King's 10/22/63 and it was really good!
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and am reading the Fiery Cross now.

It's drags a bit in some spots which I didn't feel in the previous novels but I'm such a fan of the world she's created that I keep reading it!
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    THE HISTORY OF LOUISIANA, OR OF THE WESTERN PARTS OF VIRGINIA AND CAROLINA:

Containing a DESCRIPTION of the Countries that lie on both Sides of the River Missisippi:

With an ACCOUNT of the
    SETTLEMENTS,
    INHABITANTS,
    SOIL,
    CLIMATE,
    AND
    PRODUCTS.

By Antoine Simon Le Page Du Pratz

The original edition, published in Paris in 1758, was followed in 1763 by a two-volume edition in English, and eleven years later in 1774, by this one-volume edition in English. The texts in the English editions are identical. This E-book also has the pictures from the French copy that were not originally in the English copies.