Can't finish my 97 cal lunch?!?! Too full!

Options

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I seriously have to ask, and this is a blanket question, not just aimed at the OP:

How the hell do people become obese, then say "I can't eat 1200 calories today, I'm too full!"

Seriously, it boggles my mind! Clearly these people ate way over 2000 calories every day to get that big, why can they not eat anything now!?

To answer your question, yes, some people can gain weight from overeating then get full on few calories, especially if they have went from empty calorie junk food to a healthy, natural diet. You can easily down a huge soda, but the same calories eaten as steamed veggies could be too filling.

Hope that helps explain the issue to your boggled mind :)

It doesn't get too filling, it gets overwhelming because 8 cups of broccoli in one sitting is just gross. I start to gag if I eat too much of anything, but especially if it's broccoli, asparagus, salad or anything else like that in a huge quantity. I eat a huge salad every day for lunch, there are some days I can't finish the salad, not because I'm full, but because I just can't bear to eat another bite of lettuce.
  • christullos
    Options
    I seriously have to ask, and this is a blanket question, not just aimed at the OP:

How the hell do people become obese, then say "I can't eat 1200 calories today, I'm too full!"

Seriously, it boggles my mind! Clearly these people ate way over 2000 calories every day to get that big, why can they not eat anything now!?

Two different 1200 calories a day diets;

1) 3 slices of pizza and 1 can of coke
    2) 14 heads of romaine lettuce ( I know nobody is going to only eat lettuce, but you get the point)

Many people when they decide to eat healthier go way overboard on extremely low calorie veggies to try and get as much food for the calories and yes that will fill them up on very few calories.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Protein? Fat? Fruit and vegetables are great...if you're meeting all of your macronutrient needs. Also, you know you need fat to absorb quite a few vitamins right?

I didn't read the whole thread, so here's to hoping you've decided to add some more calorie dense food by this point :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Two different 1200 calories a day diets;

1) 3 slices of pizza and 1 can of coke
    2) 14 heads of romaine lettuce ( I know nobody is going to only eat lettuce, but you get the point)

Many people when they decide to eat healthier go way overboard on extremely low calorie veggies to try and get as much food for the calories and yes that will fill them up on very few calories.
    Orrrrrr..... something between this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

To answer your question, yes, some people can gain weight from overeating then get full on few calories, especially if they have went from empty calorie junk food to a healthy, natural diet. You can easily down a huge soda, but the same calories eaten as steamed veggies could be too filling.

It doesn't get too filling, it gets overwhelming because 8 cups of broccoli in one sitting is just gross. I start to gag if I eat too much of anything, but especially if it's broccoli, asparagus, salad or anything else like that in a huge quantity. I eat a huge salad every day for lunch, there are some days I can't finish the salad, not because I'm full, but because I just can't bear to eat another bite of lettuce.
    So why would you do that?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Dear lord. This again.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming.... yes... I said ASSUMING..... you eat like this regularly?

I see a HUGE problem with taking in only 600-700 calories a day trying to lose weight.

And if you think this is ok, or safe, you're mentally challenged, and so is anyone else. This is no where near safe long term... and don't say it's just to lose weight, because then what? Are you going back to eating habits that obviously put you in the predicament to use MFP?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

So why would you do that?

Do what? I eat a salad for lunch every day with 5 ounces of lean protein on it. Occasionally there's just too much lettuce for me, so I don't finish the lettuce. Is there something wrong with that? My point was that it's not the filling part that makes me stop eating it, it's the sheer amount of lettuce, when I make too big of a salad. I still have room for an ice cream sandwich when I'm done. :wink:
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options

Because we ate the wrong choices of food. Maybe now she doesn't eat chips or drink wine...those really add up. Now she is trying to eat healthy foods.
    OP, like someone else said, add avocado, nuts, cheese, and seeds..those add up in calories. Full fat yogurt also helps. Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Because we ate the wrong choices of food. Maybe now she doesn't eat chips or drink wine...those really add up. Now she is trying to eat healthy foods.
    OP, like someone else said, add avocado, nuts, cheese, and seeds..those add up in calories. Full fat yogurt also helps. Good luck!

there is nothing wrong with wine.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

there is nothing wrong with wine.

Nothing. At. All.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Did I read this right? Don't eat chips or drink wine....those really add up. Add avocado, nuts, cheese and seeds...those add up.

Moderation kids..

Saying don't drink wine is blasphemy.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    cersei-more-wine.gif
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My lunch today is 638 calories and I'm 99% sure I will still be hungry afterwards.
  • Carlywiese
    Carlywiese Posts: 51 Member
    Options

For me I think it has to do with how much crap I was eating before, 2-3 litres of Pepsi a day, 1/2 a family size bag of chips in the evening, fast food etc, it's all so high in calories and you only feel full for 1/2 an hour then you are hungry again...vicious cycle so it's easy to stuff 3000+ calories in your face every day when it's junk. I am aiming for 1300 calories a day now and have no problem staying under but this is because I am now stuffing my face with lots of lean protein, healthy fats and very few complex carbs (most of my carbs now come from fruit and veg with the occasional slice or 2 of whole wheat bread for a sammich) I also think the mindset has a lot to do with it, before I just didn't care I would just eat and eat and eat cuz I was bored, now I consciously choose every single bite that goes in my mouth not based just on calories but my macros and also sodium content I feel like it makes me stop and realize how much food I really am eating so my brain knows I don't need any more :)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!!

Call me a pessimist, but I call bullsh!t.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I eat anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 a day and exercise (I use a food scale, measuring cups and spoons and track the calories) and have steadily gained 30 pounds over the last five years.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's one way. Another way is to eat the wrong foods. You don't necessarily need to over eat the wrong types of food to put up weight.

oh hai.

you must be new around here.
    lulz
    THANK YOU!!

Call me a pessimist, but I call bullsh!t.

Yeah- I kind of have a hard time with the I'm eating 500 calories and I'm full business.

I am eating 1500 a day typically and I'm starving ALL.THE.TIME. I can absolutely have a huge deficit- if I'm busy- or I work out- and I just grab something filling but not high calories... I wind up with a huge deficit- then I have popcorn and some ice cream and call it a day- and my net is still uber low... but it's typically just a busy busy day for me on the weekend and I forget to eat.

Otherwise- no- regularly eating under 1000 calories- I just- I have such a hard time wrapping my head around it. It makes me crazy.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have about the same amount of weight to lose as you, except I'm losing while eating 2,400 delicious calories every day. Your current plan isn't sustainable.

ETA: I see a dietician and she helped me come up with a healthy plan that works for me. No food is off limits for me. Please considering making an appointment so you can do this the healthy way from the get go!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am eating 1500 a day typically and I'm starving ALL.THE.TIME.

I'm perfectly satisfied on less than 1,500 calories a day. So clearly you are lying because it couldn't possibly be that two people have two different experiences.

Nope. That can't be it.