Tell us something about where you live?

Options

Replies

• Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Currently live in Billings, MT. I have lived all over the state. Montana boasts two national parks, including the first national park to have ever existed, a wide array of wildlife, a whopping 6 people per square mile (read: wide open spaces), an amazing variety of scenery---from craggy mountain peaks, to lush river valleys, to prairie, to high desert and "badlands" where dinosaurs are dug up. We have a sordid history that includes Calamity Jane, Billy the Kid and may others. Recently ranked "#1 for Overall Best Colleges in America" by FindTheBest--not only is our state beautiful but it is also smart. ;) Also, some of the best beer brewed in the country is brewed in Montana.....It really is "The Last Best Place."
  • mrdk92
    mrdk92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I live in eastern Iowa. Pigs outnumber people, most folks are pretty liberal, and we grow a lot of great food.
  • bezerkus
    bezerkus Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Utah
    Home of the 2002 Winter Olympics and Sundance Film Festival (Park City)
    First part of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade filmed here.
    I drive by the High School from Foot Loose everyday to work
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was loving where I live until I saw the poster from Tunisia. WOW is that gorgeous! I cannot imagine living in a place that splendid all the time. What a gift.

I on the other hand live in Evanston Illinois, home of Northwestern University--GO WILDCATS! We live two blocks from Lake Michigan and we use the lakefront all the time year round--when it's warm enough we walk, run, bike, go to the beach. In the winter we snowshoe up and down the lakefront. I consider living by the lake a necessity of life. I love the lake in all it's moods--wild and angry or sparkly and blue. I am out there pretty much every day for something and I love it every day. The lake is like a living thing. I have seen herons, a mother fox and her babies, a coyote, raccoons, skunks, all different kinds of birds--I didn't realize all the urban wildlife that was here. I have two boys, ages 13 and 15, and they are often with me for a walk or run or at the beach, whatever and now they feel the same way. My older son will go out long boarding or go sit on these specific rocks if he is in a bad mood. The younger one jogs the lake trail. My older one once remarked to me on the way back from somewhere far, much more landlocked, that he missed the lake, that he couldn't imagine NOT living by the water. I didn't realize I was giving them that when we moved here 7 years ago, but now I am really glad they love the lake like I have come to. It's very calming and healing.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Rice with every meal. Tons of people. Crazy traffic. Nobody speaks my language. Perverted men trying to look up skirts.

Nippon?
  • ellord66
    ellord66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Nassau, The Bahamas. There is sunshine and liquid sunshine (rain on a sunny day). Usually boast of one weather climate, Summer. When the temperature drops to 70 degrees Far. that is winter for us.
  • DAWNSTEP
    DAWNSTEP Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I live where the grass is blue, and the horse population probably out-numbers the people. (not really though) Oh, and we have really good fried chicken.

AHHH must be Kentucky!!! I'm a Ky girl living in Florida...

Where I live it's beautiful all the time! Palm trees, the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets, beautiful white sandy beaches! I am in Southwest Florida. Moved almost exactly 1000 miles last October.
  • Chanchka
    Chanchka Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Israel. My neighborhood is built on a hill, surrounded by huge gorgeous hills. Amazing sunset and view. Life is great here :) Lately though, life has been interrupted by the occasional siren -- warning us to go into our bomb shelters :(
  • Nurse_Christy
    Nurse_Christy Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Springfield, TN. This time of year you can't step outside without smelling tobacco smoking in the barns.
  • scarletpride16
    Options
    New Jersey here: "The Garden State"! Home of Newark International Airport, New Jersey Devils, and waaaaay too many malls lol
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Are you from Joisy? Hey, I'm from Joisy!
  • scarletpride16
    Options
    Are you from Joisy? Hey, I'm from Joisy!

Lol, yes I am from Jersey. Born and raised, however I do not have the "joisy" accent haha. People have a hard time believing I am from NJ because of it :laugh:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Northern Virginia, close to DC. Kind of speaks for itself with that I guess. I'll also say that NOVA as we call it is nothing like the rest of Virginia, may as well be a different state.
  • scarletpride16
    Options
    Northern Virginia, close to DC. Kind of speaks for itself with that I guess. I'll also say that NOVA as we call it is nothing like the rest of Virginia, may as well be a different state.

I am curious, how is it different from the rest of Virginia? I was just in Virginia a few weeks back so I want to know lol
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Traffic :P
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I just moved to Laguna from surf city, USA (Huntington Beach- where the X games are held) and getting to know the town. It's home to one of the most beautiful SoCal beaches but still close enough to visit LA.

It's full of art galleries, very friendly people and a mime who waves to me on my morning commute.

It's also famous for this:

series_main_281x211.jpg?quality=0.85

And

south-laguna-beach_720.jpg
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

I am curious, how is it different from the rest of Virginia? I was just in Virginia a few weeks back so I want to know lol
    More urban I guess is how I'd put it. Once you go out west or further south it becomes very rural which is nothing like where I live. Then there is VA Beach area which is totally different again. Also this area has some of the richest counties in the US. While there's a lot of poverty areas in other parts of the state.
  • Ryan_Case
    Ryan_Case Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in Vancouver....Washington State. Also known as 'The other Vancouver." Not in Canada, We are right across the Columbia river from the infamous Portland, Oregon, and most of the people who live in my town work over there.

The best thing about this area is that it's the Pacific Northwest, and you can drive to the most majestic tourist attractions in the continental U.S. Two hours drive to the west is the Pacific Ocean, miles and miles of unspoiled rocky cliffs and secluded beaches.. One hour drive to the North is Mt. St. Helen's Volcanic Monument, which exploded in 1980. One hour drive to the East is the Columbia River Gorge, home of Multnomah Falls. Another hour to the South East will put you on top of 12,000 ft tall Mt. Hood. Three hours to the South is Lavabeds National Monument, Crater Lake, and a host of other mountain lakes to play on in Oregon. Seattle is about four hours north. And Canada about 5 hours.

It's not all fabulous on the Upper Left Edge, though. We are famous for the rainiest winter weather on the continent, with Seattle holding the record for the most rainy days in a row anywhere on the planet. So don't bother to move here....just come be a tourist in the summer time.

You forgot your proximity to Yakima. :laugh:

If you like beer, you should thank us. 90% of the U.S. production of hops happens here.

Right now is the best time of the year here too. Our Indian Summer has just began. Other than that, our proximity to places like Seattle is great. You can get there in two hours, but live where cost of living is about half. We are minutes from excellent fly fishing, skiing in winter and summer, there are wineries popping up all over recently too.

We get all four seasons with occasional snow in the winter and couple weeks of 100+F in the summer.

We do have crime problems, and are a very small community even though the city and surrounding area is well over 200K people. It stems from the fact that we are still AG based with very little industry, so there is a definite socioeconomic gap here, and an "old boys" network.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Milwaukee, WI! Home of the Brew Crew! Also, home to Summerfest!
  • mrfreestyle
    mrfreestyle Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Pretoria, South Africa.

Simply the best city in the world

PTA1_zpsdc23c775.jpg