Tell us something about where you live?

Options

Replies

• searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Abbeville SC. It is the Deathbed of the Confederacy. It is where Jefferson Davis signed an order to surrender the troops. 14 days later, he was captured in Georgia by Sherman.

Our town is the town featured in Sleeping with the Enemy when she finally escapes. That is our town square that you see.

No pictures of beautiful ocean cliffs. Sigh.....
  • FrozenSongBird
    FrozenSongBird Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I live in Anchorage, Alaska

It's Alaska...'nuff said.

Home of the 1964 Good Friday Earthquake magnitude 9.2, strongest US Earthquake on record and 2nd strongest ever recorded by seismograph in recorded history.

2zsqo42.jpg

30j2n0y.jpg
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I live in Topeka, Kansas....we have a hooker with a colostomy bag and a guy who dances on the corner with a table lamp.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario. Right now, it's really humid and gross. We have weather that can't make up it's mind. We also have really crappy traffic. We're very multicultural, which I love :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Lone Pine, CA featured in many westerns and movies
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I live in East Lansing, Michigan. I love it because while it has a small town feel the community is pretty diverse, especially when the college students are around.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Indianapolis, IN

> Home of the Indy 500 - largest single day sporting event (and probably party) in the world :drinker:

> "Crossroads of America" - Tthere are a lot of interstates that converge here one way or another. Used to be rail, as well.

> Capital of the "Hoosier" state. No one here knows what "Hoosier" means, either. :ohwell:

> There are no alcohol sales on Sunday (except in places selling so much $ in food, as well). It sucks to have to remember on Saturday you better pick up your liquor needs for Sunday.

> James Whitcomb Riley is buried here in a tomb on the highest point in the county, in the 3rd largest cemetary in the U.S. It's impressive. :wink:

> 23rd President Benjamin Harrison was born in Indiana, died in Indianapolis and is buried in the same cementary as Riley... only his tomb is at the bottom of the hill. Not sure if that is a statement on his presidency or not.

> It is godawful humid.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Bellingham, WA.

Located on Bellingham Bay, 20 minutes from the Canadian border. At lunch time I can head out for a run on the trails around Whatcom Falls, or run up into the Chuckanut Mtns and see views of the bay, the San Juan Islands, and the Olympic Mtns. And there are a bazillion other lakes and parks throughout the area ... the city is mostly trees. Runners World magazine once said we have some of the cleanest air in the country. On my drive home, snow capped Mount Baker looms in my windshield.

And a lot of serial killers hang out here: Ted Bundy, Ken Bianchi (one of the Hillside Stranglers), and the DC Sniper.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    We have 1 set of stoplights.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Its hotter than a fried pie in august...
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I live where the grass is blue, and the horse population probably out-numbers the people. (not really though) Oh, and we have really good fried chicken.

Those basketball players ain't bad either!

Accurate!
  • vicdamone78
    vicdamone78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Guatemala city, Guatemala

Big city, caribbean coast lines on one side and Pacific coastlines on the other. Black sand beaches and white sand beaches. Volcanoes afar, you can even see them erupting at times. Beautifully amazing at night when you can see the lava pouring down from the top. Subtropical and tropical climates! Ancient Mayan ruins and jungles filled with beautiful animals and species of all kinds. Nice people and delicious Guatemalan food. Full of culture and people from other countries from around the world.

And get this: Mcdonald's, Wendy's, burger king, kfc, taco bell, subway etc etc............. all deliver right to your door!!!!!! Too bad I'm on a diet!! :sad:

Oh and can't forget the Gallo beer!! Guatemala's pride!! :drinker:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I live in Sacramento, California, the state capital.

Up until the 1980s, people used to clear out on weekends in the summer. The government people went home to their districts and it was too hot. The permanent residents, the few that there were, stayed and pulled out a rubber raft and floated down the river -- all day. Either way, the streets would become absolutely deserted.

People used to praise Sacramento by saying it "was close to many cool places!" We're an hour from the Napa wine country and Lake Tahoe, an hour-and-a-half from Mendocino and the Northern California Coast, two hours from San Francisco, and about three hours from Yosemite.

Those things have changed a bit. We've grow up and we have our own attractions now.

The thing that is unique about Sacramento is that it is about the only place in the state where there are third and fourth generation families still living in the same neighborhoods. The rest of California is much more transient, and much more recent. (BTW, California really only goes back four generations.)
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    We have 1 set of stoplights.

Altha has no true stop lights, but we do have two of the blinking caution lights.
  • delia_tee
    delia_tee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I live in a little town in Norway. Nothing happens after 5 PM. You can't buy alcohol after 8. Only one store sells liquor, and that one closes early on the weekends. But the view is always gorgeous and the people are nice.
    imgp1692.jpg?w=529
    imgp1630.jpg?w=529
    imgp1657.jpg?w=529
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I live in a house that used to be owned by the guy who flew the jet packs in the James Bond movies.
  • JessGWise
    JessGWise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I call two places "home."

My first is Culpeper, Virginia where I was born and raised and currently reside. Small town about an hour or so southwest of Washington, DC. The county itself is mostly rural, and I live next door to my parents' farm, they raise beef cattle, pigs, and chickens.

The town of Culpeper exchanged hands more than any other town during the American Civil War, and Culpeper is home to the largest concentration of dinosaur tracks ever found in one place. Culpeper was surveyed by a very young and newly employed 16 year old George Washington.

Culpeper sits at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains, which are a great place for hiking and camping. Culpeper has 4 seasons- warm summers and relatively mild winters, however, the autumn and spring are the nicest.

My second home is Trondheim, Norway, where I lived for 3.5 years with my Norsk husband. It's the third largest city in Norway, established in 997 and served as the capital of Norway during the Viking era until the early 1200's. It has a BEAUTIFUL cathedral, called Nidaros cathedral, which was built over the burial site of Saint Olav in the 11th century. The winters there are long, cold and miserably dark - which is one of the reasons why we don't live there anymore. :P I do, however, miss being able to go to "fiskhallen" and buy the most wonderful fish that had just been caught in the morning. I also miss leverpostei and kaviar.... *sigh* why must everything come back to food? :P
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Greenville, South Carolna U.S.A. surprises people. It's a far more international city than people imagine. Because it's the North American headquarter for BMW and Michelin, I have a lot of German and French neighbors, but also Brits, South Africans, Cubans, and others. Greenville-CVB-request-med_greenville_aerials_03_edit_1.jpg
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Pretoria, South Africa.

Simply the best city in the world
    I have many friends from South Africa here in the U.S. I never met a South African I didn't like.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    Iowa. Where corn fields and soy bean fields are the landscape. People have manners, well the ones who are raised right. home fed boys and girls. You haven't tried the right pork unless it's from Iowa. Oh yeah we also are #1 for meth production