What item did you cut out that made a difference?

Options
What item did you give up that was fairly easy to do and made the biggest impact on jump starting your weight loss?

Getting started, I'm starting small, baby steps, as I feel I can stick to a diet easier if I do it one step at a time. I thought this question might give me ideas on what I can give up and not feel like I lost something or that I'm doing an extreme diet. Where can I make a small cut for a big difference.

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Soda!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I cut out being a lazy bum, that made a huge difference.
  • lukeyjune
    lukeyjune Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Less Diet Pepsi, aim for 100 ounces of water a day....
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Most carb-heavy foods like rice, bread and pasta. Made a world of difference. The only one I miss from time to time is bread, but I have low-carb recipes for that, or I get low carb bread items if they're one sale.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Start by logging what you eat, not by depriving yourself. Once you have a better idea of your patterns, you'll see where you want to make changes.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Excuses.
  • wagglesworth
    wagglesworth Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I cut out all grains in any form, refined sugar, legumes and dairy products. Feeling great, losing weight and don't feel deprived.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I replaced soda and sugary drinks with water and tea. I was drinking way too many calories.
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Anything with artificial sweeteners. I have discovered that when I eat anything with artificial sweeteners, they make me very hungry.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs fairly easily. Bought a box of lucky charms. Fit bowls of the sweetie goodness into my day. BAM gained 2 lbs. I have now given up lucky charms...
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Two things, really.

Soda was the first thing. I lost 20 pounds just giving that up alone.

Alcohol was the second one. No more empty calories and drinks that led to lowered inhibitions and then to desserts.
  • tlblake84
    tlblake84 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I replaced soda and sugary drinks with water and tea. I was drinking way too many calories.

That's a good one, I cut out all soda but I forget how sugary the juices I drink are.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I stopped drinking my calories. I stopped putting milk or creamer in my coffee...and when I discovered caffeinated flavored water enhancers, I was pretty much able to give up soda. I still have both occasionally as treats.
  • jayce54321
    jayce54321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I didn't (wouldn't) cut out anything. I cut way,way back on fried foods, but sometimes you just have to have wings. I eat frozen yogurt frequently. Weighing your food, looking at what a real serving is, helps immensely. Depriving yourself of something you crave will not work. Just go easy. And get off the couch and walk, run, whatever.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It's not about giving up anything, it's about setting goals and sticking within your NET calorie limit each day as best you can. I say NET calories because the way MFP is set up, you have a calorie goal of X amount. If you exercise and log that exercise it removes Y amount, leaving you with Z NET amount of calories.

In other words, Let's assume for the sake of math you were allotted 2000 calories when you set up your profile. You ate 1500 calories worth of food. Now your NET amount is 1500 calories. You have 500 calories left to reach your goal if you want to eat something else. Let's assume you went for a walk or to the gym and burned 500 calories. Now you have a NET total of 1000 calories. Since you burned some off, you are now able to eat 1000 calories in food to reach your goal.

To some this seems confusing, but MFP is doing the math for you, just log as accurately as possible in both the food area and the exercise area.

It helps to plan your meals for the week or at least the next day whenever you can. Go ahead and pre-log for the day so you can see where you are. Also, keep an eye on your macros - carbs, fats, protein - and try to get as close to those goals as you can. There are days where a slice of pumpkin bread from Starbucks knocked me right in line with my calorie goals and my macros.

You're going to have off days where you go over, but as long as that's the exception and not the rule, you'll be fine.

Give it time, be patient, track your calories, weigh your food, scan packages, do some cardio and lift some weights whenever possible. You won't lose everything in a day or a week or even a month. Be as honest in logging as possible and give it a couple of months to see how you're doing. If you're on track for losing then great. If you're not, then make the adjustments to your calorie goals.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I cut out excuses and realised that it was time to start . Then I cut out thinking I know it all and started to listen to others. Then I cut out thinking I was differnet to everyone else, then I cut out feeling so overweight because listening to other people really did help me :-)
    Good luck. Cutting out specific foods isn't necessacry unless you have another reasion to do so. Use MFP and try and hit your macros, do exercise and you will see great improvements over time :-)
  • jcortrightreeping
    Options
    I cut out alcohol. My hubby and I were weekend warriors for years. I feel so much better and started losing weight immediately!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    pop ...actually i pretty much only drink water
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What item did you give up that was fairly easy to do and made the biggest impact on jump starting your weight loss?

Getting started, I'm starting small, baby steps, as I feel I can stick to a diet easier if I do it one step at a time. I thought this question might give me ideas on what I can give up and not feel like I lost something or that I'm doing an extreme diet. Where can I make a small cut for a big difference.

Excuses, and the notion that I had to cut items completely out to achieve my goals

1119.gif
  • BeccaKay96
    BeccaKay96 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Soda! Lost my first 10 lbs quitting it!