What item did you cut out that made a difference?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Guilt. Once I cut out feeling guilty over eating "evil" things I was able, for the first time in my life, to stick to a diet. I did not even have to cut my portions of "evil" foods that much. I mean sometimes I do, other times I don't, and most times I just have whatever and however much I want of certain things and compensate with filling the rest of my day with lower calorie options. Contrary to what I believed, this no-pressure approach did not cause me to gulp in high calorie food all day every day. It just deals with that desire I get for certain foods every now and then.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Cutting out soda almost a decade ago made a huge difference for me. All I drink is water and it helps keep so much weight off.
  • libertino85
    libertino85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I cut out alcohol. My hubby and I were weekend warriors for years. I feel so much better and started losing weight immediately!

I didn't cut alcohol out entirely. But I had been having martinis with dinner on an almost nightly basis... I now limit them to weekend dinners and have lost at least two pounds a week!!!
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I actually eat more now. I realized, I was drinking about 1000 calories a day in cran-raspberry juice and about 1000 calories a day in flavored coffee creamer,(what a way to get so big). I cut out both of those. I also cut out sweets, accept for skinny cow or weight watcher desserts. I try to round out my diet now and I definitely eat more fruits and vegetables.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Naivety....

I stopped believing all the b*llsh*t and went out there and found out for myself what works and how I am the only person who can make or break my weight loss success....

xXx
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever I want, whenever I want.
  • BeardandBelly
    Options
    It may sound dumb, but I just don't eat lunch. It started when I took ADHD meds a few years ago, and I got in the habit of not eating lunch because I got nauseous even thinking about greasy school pizza or whatever they served. Plus I knew I would snack when I got home anyway, so it just seemed like a logical decision. These days I always come out 500ish calories below my daily recommended level without any effort at all.
  • chinook44
    chinook44 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No pop, no alcohol. Just water, water, water.

Great words of wisdom I have gotten on MFP is "Don't drink your calories!" :drinker:

Note: I lost 4 lbs the week I cut out all diet coke and drank at least 8 glasses of water a day.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I cut out being a lazy bum, that made a huge difference.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating two chocolate croissants for breakfast 5 days a week! That made a huge difference!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I cut out the word "diet."
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cookies..

If I eat one cookie I will eat the whole pack, easier to just not buy them :)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Alcohol!
    I haven't given it up totally, but have cut down a lot.
    I actually FEEL a lot healthier for it, tbh.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out, but I have almost totally stopped alcohol. It just isn't important enough to me to figure out a way to fit it into my daily goals, although I do enjoy a beer or glass of wine when out with friends or at book club and work those in.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sweets, high carb heavy foods, fast foods, sugar cereals - cut back about 80-90%

Alcohol - cut back about 50%

Diet Soda - cut back about 25%

Stopped eating the above right before bed.

Exercise - increased 100%
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    My answer would be two things honestly:
    1) Any high calorie drink whether it's booze, sugary soda, (excessive) fruit juice...etc etc.
    There are several ways to step it down slowly: If you're a hard-core sodaholic, switch first from the full-calorie version to a "less calorie" version: If they make a 50% less sugar/corn syrup version, switch to that. When you're used to that, switch to the 10 calorie version (they mask the "aftertaste" of the artificial sweetener with just a taste of sugar/corn syrup...down to diet if you can. Better yet, make the soda an occasional treat and switch to water. There's nothing WRONG with fruit juice...but most of us weren't drinking the recommended serving size (HINT: It's not an 8 ounce glass...)
    2) Commit to not having ANY "just sit on the couch" days. Got a dog? Take it for walks more often.. Got a bike? Ride it... Got stairs in the house? Climb 'em during TV commercials Got a gym at work? Use the treadmill/elliptical on breaks/lunch. Don't have a gym at work? Walk around the building on breaks.. Even if you only do 10 minutes every day...that's better than 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week already...and you can boost the activity from that point.
  • KeysGirl23
    KeysGirl23 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I simply cut the calories as suggested. Calories in v. calories out. Oh, and I got off the couch and did something, anything...
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Processed, prepackaged foods and started meal prepping and cooking more.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    2 liters of root beer a day.