What item did you cut out that made a difference?

Options

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What item did you give up that was fairly easy to do and made the biggest impact on jump starting your weight loss?

Getting started, I'm starting small, baby steps, as I feel I can stick to a diet easier if I do it one step at a time. I thought this question might give me ideas on what I can give up and not feel like I lost something or that I'm doing an extreme diet. Where can I make a small cut for a big difference.

Excuses, and the notion that I had to cut items completely out to achieve my goals

1119.gif

This... I eat all the foods.
  • bpp23
    bpp23 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Coke! :(
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    sweets and cheese. no donuts, cupcakes, croissants, pie, cake, coffee cake, bakery items--none. I had my first slice of pie since June 30 last week. still haven't had a croissant or a donut. and full fat cheese--I used to easily put away 4-5 slices of cheese and crackers in one sitting--way too much fat. I really really miss the croissants, but I really really love the 13 pounds I've lost since June 30.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Coke. I am now a tea and water total. Unbelievable how many calories soda contains.
    Also I cut down on sweets, in particular chocolate. Still having my ice cream though...
    Stef.
  • emailme178
    emailme178 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Definately carbonated anything.... i can work out and be so good and eat great... but it will make me bloat right up and show a heavier weight everytime... its too much sugar... and also makes my stomach just feel awful in general. was surprised at how easy it was to give up once i realized how much better i felt without! try not to drink those valuable calories lol
  • aubaby
    aubaby Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think for over all health and not just weight loss, an item I cut completely out that has made a huge difference and I do not miss at all is soda and diet soda.
  • mranderson978
    Options
    carbs. I'm on a ketogenic diet now.
    no rice, bread potato sugar or any other carbs.
    The weight is coming off ridiculously easily and I can train harder and longer too.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    bread, pasta and breakfast cereal. There is nothing inherently wrong with them but anecdotally they make me hungrier so I end up eating more. Keep in mind i'm even talking about the whole grain varieties. Those are the ones that I like. They still have this effect on me. That's why I think although the dogma of "a calorie is a calorie" that you find a lot of people preaching on here is technically true it does not take into account the hunger effect created by bread products.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Highly processed foods

^This and I learned portion control. (well for the most part)
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I didn't eliminate anything, but started paying attention to serving sizes. It's unbelievable how many calories I was taking in by eating entire packs of things.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I didn't eliminate anything, but started paying attention to serving sizes. It's unbelievable how many calories I was taking in by eating entire packs of things.

Yea sometimes them little bags have three servings in them.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Anything sweet such as candy, chocolate and cookies. I have no self control with them. I am ok the first day, but then I just pig out :(. Anything else I can just make fit into my macros and eat in moderation with no issues.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,077 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

Honestly, learning to eat mostly healthy but not totally cutting out anything is why I was able to finally get my weight down after all these years. If I truly want to eat or drink something, I'll have it. Make it fit in my daily goals.

21525558.png

This. Calorie deficit and exercise. I will never go without the things I love. Why would you?

Yes that is one way of doing it - cut nothing but just have smaller portions of the high calorie food or have it less often.
    However if there is something costing you a lot of calories and you don't mind going without it, or substituting something else for it- then that approach works too.
    Or a compromise between the two.

For example I cut out regular soda and switched to diet soda - I guess that is a switch more than a cutting out. If I really loved regular soda I would fit it in, sure - but I don't love it enough to spend that many calories on it, I would rather drink diet version and use those saved calories on something else.
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Haven't really cut anything out.
    I eat what I want. Just adjust my calories.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I applied myself to eating a well-rounded and adventurous diet, focused on moderation and portion control.
  • sofiachohdary
    Options
    Cheese. The amount of fat and calories in products that contain cheese kept me from losing.

And chocolate, not because of weight gain, but because of depression it was giving me.
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just cut back on the amount of chocolate I eat.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Carbs and listening to "experts".
  • MisspelledMe
    MisspelledMe Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Soda and a lot of processed foods, but that was because of an allergy to food coloring. Still made a pretty big difference, though. I probably wouldn't have started trying to eat better and lose weight if I hadn't had to stop drinking/eating those things.

I try to fit in everything else that I want.